Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intake Manifold Tubes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DenjaCol
Greetings;

I am in the process of removing the intake tubes, injectors etc on a stock 1974 1.8 L-Jet. I obtained this 914 from my father-in-law a few years ago now and still plugging away to get it running again. I know that years ago [mid 1980's] my brother-in-law pulled the engine and had the long block rebuilt. He was a pretty good mechanic.

I noted that one intake tube flange has a stamped "1" and the other stamped with "4". I thought my brother in law swapped the manifolds side to side in error since the "4" was on the side with cylinders 1+2 and the manifold stamped "1" was on the 3+4 cylinder side. I cleaned and painted the intake tubes today and tried to put them back on. I put the one marked "4" on the 3+4 side and it does not fit very well at all. Same thing on the other side. I also noticed that if the intake are "swapped" the welded on vacuum hose clamps on the intakes face to the rear where they would do no good.

Does anyone know if it matters? Am I confused?

Thanks for any input.

Dennis
zambezi
Did he stamp them. I don't recall the factory stamping them. Maybe whoever stamped them had the numbering of the cylinders wrong from what they really are.
DenjaCol
QUOTE(zambezi @ Sep 10 2015, 12:36 PM) *

Did he stamp them. I don't recall the factory stamping them. Maybe whoever stamped them had the numbering of the cylinders wrong from what they really are.

You could be right, he did like stamping numbers. I will check with him. Thanks
Dave_Darling
Pictures please? I don't remember any difference between the intake runner pipes from side to side.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
Gotta agree with Dave. They be the same.
r_towle
The angle is different so if you mount the plenum, or set it in its location, you will see that you cannot change sides with the tubes, they only fit one way.

Rich
rhodyguy
did you buy new intake runner boots and phenolic spacers? the runners don't touch the plenum.
DenjaCol
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2015, 05:59 PM) *

The angle is different so if you mount the plenum, or set it in its location, you will see that you cannot change sides with the tubes, they only fit one way.

Rich

I think you are correct Rich. After checking further, they really can only go one way. Yes, I did install the spacers and realize that the tubes don't touch the plenum, just trying to get them close.

I worked in a shop years ago and built lots of Type 1 engines, but can remember only one or two Type 2. I guess too many years have past to be able to remember everything.

I would like to thank everyone for their response. It was wonderful !!

Dennis
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.