Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cooling thermostat 2.0L 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David Mueller
I'm trying to install the automatic cooling thermostat that operates the cooling flaps. I've been told that the engine will run better if the flaps are in place and working...better air flow across the cylinders I guess...

I never had the flaps, cross bar or theromastat on the car when I bought it so I have no reference to see how it installs.

I've installed the cooling flaps, cross bar and return spring etc...I can't find where you mount the thermostat..I have a mounting bracket and little metal pulley with a shoulder bolt...the pictures in the haynes book and at PP aren't much help...

Does anyone have a picture of where it mounts on the car or some instructions as to where it mounts...

By looking at the pictures it seams the thermostat cable goes down through a hole in the tin but but to where...

Any help woudl be appreciated...
Bleyseng
You must hook up the wire to the thermostat first. There should be a nut with a hole in the top of it that you feed the wire thru then screw it down on the thermostat. Mount the thermostat and pull the wire around the wheel and up thru the tin onto the little bracket onthe flaprod. Bolt it down taking care that it is on right so it doesnt bind.

Geoff
David Mueller
Where does the thermostat mount ? I have a mount bracket with two tabs but I can't find where it mounts...I do have the wire that threads onto the thermostat and the pulley ..where does the pulley mount ?
scotty914
bracket mounts on the case, the pulley mounts forward of it. there should be a bolt in the case to fill the hole from the pulley, somebody discovered the car leaks oil real bad with out it.
TravisNeff
I am sure someone will chime in with a pic or diagram. I will shoot a pic of mine this weekend. The thermostat is on the bottom side of the engine on the drivers side, should be 2 threaded holes right where it goes. From under the car look up, you will see the hole for the thermostat cable, the pulley (I think) is at the base of the block right below that hole. the thermostat should be just aft of that.
Dave_Darling
Look for two studs sticking sideways out of the left side (driver's side) of the sump, down near the bottom of the motor. The bracket mounts to those.

--DD
gklinger
Sorry for the crappy pic, but maybe this will help. Driver's side of the engine, cable kinda follows the white line:
David Mueller
Thanks...no need for a picture..the description was right on..bolted onto side of engine pan and found the pulley bolt still in the case (keeping oil in) now all I have to do is reassemble everything...
David Mueller
Gary: I sure wish my engine was that clean underneath...

Thanks for picture too..I found the mounting studs all I have to do is finish the install..I had to pull all the engine tin to get the cooling flaps installed...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.