Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel stud pulled on my 5 lug conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
Do you think a Timesert will work here, or maybe a stepped stud?

This is on the front drivers side. I sustpect if I have one, I might have to do the rest.

These rotors are less than a year old so I would like to salvage if possible.

Thanks
Mike Bellis
Replace it or risk your life and the lives of others...
bigkensteele
Is there not room on the backside of /4 rotors for pressed-in studs? I have never really examined them.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 11 2015, 04:37 PM) *

Replace it or risk your life and the lives of others...

Now you tell me, I have been Autoxing this car......
r_towle
Stripped threads on the rotor?

wndsnd
Yes,

There was talk that the capped Porsche nuts would bottom out on the studs. Some trimmed the stud a bit to accomodate these caps and I believe this was done.

I checked and tightened the bearing nut over the weekend and upon reassembly one stripped out. I was surprised the rotor stripped before the aluminum nut so I suspect it did bottom out.

I would think an insert would be ok. I have an email into Eric, but I thought I would get World opinions.
TravisNeff
if using a 911 aluminum hub, the studs press in and out, if it is stripped press out the stud and press in a new one.
wndsnd
Not a 911 hub.
r_towle
Consider three things.

1) get a new rotor
2) machine and press in studs from behind
3) do both.

I have a mill here if you want to do anything unique, it will fit and I have loads of bits.

I seem to recall you need to mill flat spots on the back of the rotor where the stud heads fit to make sure they sit flat.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.