Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone ever own a miata ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
got914?
Just want to find out everyones thoughts reviews or opinions of the car ?
Thinking bout buying one .
wndsnd
Duck!

hide.gif
Cairo94507
I have always liked the Miata and the Honda S2000 - I consider both to be true roadsters. I like the S2000 more.
914_teener
This question should really be in the Sandbox.....do a search.
rjames
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 11 2015, 03:17 PM) *

I have always liked the Miata and the Honda S2000 - I consider both to be true roadsters. I like the S2000 more.

agree.gif
But my bias is based only on looks as I haven't driven either one. I had a chance to drive a Miata, but at 6'1" I didn't fit in the driver's seat. Don't know if I'd fit in an S2000.
I have to move the seat up a notch to reach the pedals comfortably in a 914. smile.gif
wndsnd
NARP
r_towle
It's a car for a real mans man.
Elliot Cannon
SLITS thinks they are "really cute". laugh.gif
achman_73_2.0
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 11 2015, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 11 2015, 03:17 PM) *

agree.gif
But my bias is based only on looks as I haven't driven either one. I had a chance to drive a Miata, but at 6'1" I didn't fit in the driver's seat. Don't know if I'd fit in an S2000.
I have to move the seat up a notch to reach the pedals comfortably in a 914. smile.gif

I have had two. 1990 1.6 and 1997 1.8

Most reliable car I have ever owned.

Super fun to drive.

I am 6'1" 170lb and fit just fine. If you need a bit more headroom you can do a "foamectomy" on the factory seats.

For my '97M, I built a Flyin' Miata FMII Turbo sleeper. Completely stock appearing from the outside, including wheels (unless you noticed the WilWoods) but with 249whp/222tq and dead reliable, in 2400lbs with LSD, full suspension, leather interior. This car would blow the doors off a Boxster S, but I also drove it 1200 miles from NYC to Myrtle Beach. In August. During a heat wave.

I have also had '73 914 2.0

Similar in many ways, different in many ways. Slower than a stock Miata. Handles similar. Less reliable in every way. Gets a lot more attention. Two trunks. Endless motor swap and hop up options, like Miata.

A bone stock Miata is one of the most fun, pleasurable to drive and reliable cars you will ever own. No one will give it a second look at a CandC. They are definitely for drivers. In 10 years, you will wonder where they have all gone.
anderssj
Picked up a used '99 (first year, gen-2 car) for my bride. Only 55K miles, couldn't pass it up. Pretty bullet-proof for what it is. Fun and easy to drive, it has power steering and brakes, LSD, and Bilstein shocks--but the 5-speed could use another gear (it doesn't have the legs of the 914). As mentioned in an earlier post, it's a little tight on space(I'm about 6'1"). Footwell/pedal area is tight too . . . .

So far, the headlight wiring has been the only non-wear issue (just ordered HD connectors and ceramic housings).

Miata parts availability is good, and they're relatively cheap to insure.

Biggest downside? The Miata sites are nowhere near as good as 914world.com biggrin.gif
flyer86d
I bought a 1993 Miata from a customer for my younger son while he was a senior in high school in 2005. It was a totaled wreck and I purchased it from the customer for scrap. We replaced the nose and one front fender and hood and had the car painted. Griffin drove the car as a senior and then thru a couple of years of college. We stored it while he was at culinary school in Manhatten and thru his internships in Italy. He took it to a Jersey City while working his first job in NYC but the street urchins destroyed the soft top. Then he was T boned by a GMC totaling it for a second time. I rebuilt it again and then we stored it in our barn with the Porsches. This year we replaced the timing belt, water pump, clutch, shocks and new mag wheels and tires. Ten years later and at 185,000 miles, it is still a blast to drive. Griffin drove it to Miami for the summer and then returned to Vermont for a spell. He now has a hard top on it and it is back in JC. The WarHorse Miata. Truly an amazing car. The most fun that you can have at legal speeds.

Charlie
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 11 2015, 06:49 PM) *

It's a car for a real mans man.

agree.gif beerchug.gif
Cuda911
Posted at http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...p;defid=2361738

"Miata: A car. Only faggots drives it. People who think small cars are cool because they have a small engine like their small dick to match with it. MAZDA company even said they made miatas to attract girls, and no, not to get girls, but for girls to DRIVE IT. BASICALLY, a car made for girls ONLY. If you are caught driving it then you must be gay or really happy to be a faggot.

Also, one of the top best selling gay cars in the world.
Compare volkswagon (Also for fags as well)
I saw eight faggots hopped out of a red miata mx-5 and then they went into 24hr fitness and started working out in the corner while making homosexual sounds to each other."

{Don't shoot the messenger}
somd914
My sons both track NA Miatas (first gen) and my wife had two of them before working her way to an Elise. Absolutely fun to drive, all sorts of performance parts at reasonable prices, hard to kill with over 150k on one of my sons and 160k on my wife's last one which is now a track car. We've averaged 28-30 MPG with spirited driving.

Bottom line, there is a lot you can do with one w/o spending a fortune. Can be tight for tall or heavier drivers - at 5'11" 180 lbs it's a great fit for me.

Fag car? Go spend some time at the track, you'll quickly lose that vision!

Click to view attachment
Cuda911
Actually, I'd love to get one for the track. A friend of mine has a track Miata... loves it.

All kidding aside, they are great cars.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 11 2015, 06:34 PM) *

*** Ken recommends you edit this part ***

Wow, dude. I have an absolute and total hatred for political correctness, but I would still recommend hitting the edit button and toning that down a bit. screwy.gif
bigkensteele
Oops, double post. Damn you, Firefox!
championgt1
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 11 2015, 07:34 PM) *

"Miata: A car. Only faggots drives it. People who think small cars are cool because they have a small engine like their small dick to match with it. MAZDA company even said they made miatas to attract girls, and no, not to get girls, but for girls to DRIVE IT. BASICALLY, a car made for girls ONLY. If you are caught driving it then you must be gay or really happy to be a faggot.

I saw eight faggots hopped out of a red miata mx-5 and then they went into 24hr fitness and started working out in the corner while making homosexual sounds to each other."

What a stupid fucking post.
Montreal914
Is this a 914 World? blink.gif
Getting confused here... confused24.gif
Let's stick with the program and get back to the real topics; i.e. D-Jet, rusted long repair, sloppy shifting, valve seats, etc, etc... The reasons why we like our cars biggrin.gif
Enough of these useless comparisons rolleyes.gif
Done. beer3.gif

Mark Henry
Make sure it includes the OE matching purse...
bigkensteele
FWIW, I have driven my brother's S2000, and it is a shit-ton of fun. Many years ago, I drove my buddy's 1990 Miata, and it was a lot of fun but slow, just like a stock 914. And, just like a stock 914, there are a lot of things you can do to make them faster, and as with the 914, how fast you go depends on how much you want to spend.

I have never subscribed to how other people think of cars stereotypically. I like VW Cabrios, and I am not a high-school girl. I like VW buses, and I don't smoke pot or follow the Dead. I bought a 911 after I already owned a 914 back when 914s were still NARP, and I liked the 914 more, so I sold the 911.

So my answer to the OP is, go drive a few Miatas. If you like them, buy one. Who gives a rat's ass about what other people think. If it makes you happy, that is really all that matters.
jeffdon
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Sep 11 2015, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 11 2015, 07:34 PM) *

What a stupid fucking post.

Fucking ban this guy from the site. I have no tolerance for this, even if its meant to be "funny". Send him to that place where he must drive a white first gen rabbit convertible for eternity.
Johny Blackstain
Check out this "harmless" Miata:

https://www.staceydavid.com/projects/19427/banshee-2299
Cairo94507
Let's all please take a couple of breaths. I do not believe Cuda911 was espousing those comments personally. He did what I am sure we all did, google Miata and that pops up. He posted it as an example of what some (ignorant biggots) people say about the Miata. beerchug.gif
mgp4591
When I worked for Honda we took in a Miata with a/m wheels and brakes plus a turbo kit that was leaking pretty bad. I pulled it, had it rebuilt, one of the salesmen bought it and promptly burned out the clutch. I put in an ACT clutch and the car really took off! It was an interesting build but I still liked the one customer car- a newer S2000 with a centrifugal supercharger on it and tuned very well. No idea of the hp, but the car flat MOVED. And the suspension is a dream for autocrossing- infinitely adjustable and then you've got the Honda reliability... Both were nice cars in their own way.
Bob L.
My dad has one, a '05, and it's a lot of fun to drive... even as an automatic. My '88 CRX was soooo much fun, so obviously I don't care if anyone thinks it's a "girls car"
Cuda911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 11 2015, 09:07 PM) *

Let's all please take a couple of breaths. I do not believe Cuda911 was espousing those comments personally. He did what I am sure we all did, google Miata and that pops up. He posted it as an example of what some (ignorant biggots) people say about the Miata. beerchug.gif

Indeed. Correct you are. Mr. Google provided that.

I showed that same post to my friend (the one with the track Miata) and he laughed.

For the record, whoever wrote that was a moron. But, even morons can be funny.

Sheesh, lighten up, guys.

As mentioned above, I'm shopping for a Miata to track.
jeffdon
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 11 2015, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 11 2015, 09:07 PM) *

Indeed. Correct you are. Mr. Google provided that.

I showed that same post to my friend (the one with the track Miata) and he laughed.

For the record, whoever wrote that was a moron. But, even morons can be funny.

Sheesh, lighten up, guys.

As mentioned above, I'm shopping for a Miata to track.

Ok, phew. Sorry I blew my top. And sorry I wished the ulti hair dresser car on you.

Cuda911
No prob. grouphug.gif

Oh! Gotta dash... I'm late for my manicure!
EdwardBlume
FWIW the 1st gen Boxster was a total chick car just like the Miata. Somehow, a fat roll bar in each makes it all better.
Peashooter
Just get one...a blast to drive and unbreakable...forget all the bullshit about being girls cars..
Mueller
I don't have one, but the guy I bought my 914 from bought his with the money I gave him for his 914!

Seems unfair a little...

Broken 914 = $2000 smash.gif
Running Miata = $1800 driving.gif

He drives his Miata into work a few times a week and then has to rub it in how cheap replacement or upgrade parts are!

I often wonder if I made the correct choice in vehicles!
SLITS
I owned one for a short time. Gave it to a friend that needed a vehicle. Actually was fun to drive ... held corners well ... was good on gas as long as you didn't use the A/C. Put a new soft top on it ... not to difficult. Trunk was large enough for a spare set of underwear.

Would get another, but one impractical car is enough.
Johny Blackstain
The "ultimate" girls car, IMO, is a mid 80's, white on white, VW Rabbit/Golf Cabriolet with an automatic cheer.gif

biggrin.gif
dug
I did spec miata for a season. Having done a bunch of 914 auto-x, I found the car to be amazingly balanced, like a 914, but all the transistions were just a little slower. It made it super easy to drive. I was trail braking into the hairpin at this track in Denver that is closed now. The instructors assistant said be careful you are gonna spin doing that. I said no way, Thats how I'm pivoting the car! 914 would have been around for sure! That car was a 1.6 and had the Mazda Motosports clutch type LSD. Higly recommended!

Plus if you leave the roof on and have wide tires, and remove the badges, you will get asked what kind of car it is.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 12 2015, 09:58 AM) *

I owned one for a short time. Gave it to a friend that needed a vehicle. Actually was fun to drive ... held corners well ... was good on gas as long as you didn't use the A/C. Put a new soft top on it ... not to difficult. Trunk was large enough for a spare set of underwear.

You carry spare underwear? av-943.gif poke.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 12 2015, 11:37 AM) *

You carry spare underwear? av-943.gif poke.gif

lol-2.gif Probably just turned inside out and used for another week. stirthepot.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 12 2015, 12:09 PM) *

You carry spare underwear? av-943.gif poke.gif YES

lol-2.gif Probably just turned inside out and used for another week. stirthepot.gif
Once per month I turn them inside out. Spare set for meeting women.

bootyshake.gif
dug
We just called them Bitch Baskets. Not because all girls are bitches, but because the ones who had them usually were:)

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 12 2015, 10:26 AM) *

The "ultimate" girls car, IMO, is a mid 80's, white on white, VW Rabbit/Golf Cabriolet with an automatic cheer.gif

biggrin.gif

Mueller
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 11 2015, 09:00 PM) *

One would think with all the money he has or the show has, they could get rims and tires that fit inside the rear fenders headbang.gif screwy.gif smash.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(dug @ Sep 12 2015, 08:45 PM) *

We just called them Bitch Baskets. Not because all girls are bitches, but because the ones who had them usually were:)

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 12 2015, 11:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 11 2015, 09:00 PM) *

One would think with all the money he has or the show has, they could get rims and tires that fit inside the rear fenders headbang.gif screwy.gif smash.gif

I'm not too keen on the body kit or wheels either, but the mustang power transplant is very cool.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 12 2015, 03:44 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 12 2015, 12:09 PM) *

You carry spare underwear? av-943.gif poke.gif YES

Once per month I turn them inside out. Spare set for meeting women.

bootyshake.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(dug @ Sep 12 2015, 05:45 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Sounds like a swing and a miss...

You are correct however, I "politely courted" with a cab chick in Santa Barbara in 1992. Had to move on as there were many other 80's and 90's cars I wanted to drive at the time... shades.gif
sb914
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Sep 11 2015, 08:27 PM) *

Is this a 914 World? blink.gif
Getting confused here... confused24.gif
Let's stick with the program and get back to the real topics; i.e. D-Jet, rusted long repair, sloppy shifting, valve seats, etc, etc... The reasons why we like our cars biggrin.gif
Enough of these useless comparisons rolleyes.gif
Done. beer3.gif

agree.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 11 2015, 06:17 PM) *

I've owned 2 S2000s and raced a MX-5 - Great Cars for the money

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
boxstr
Owned many miatas, some for resale, others to enjoy and drive for the summer, while getting excellent mpg. Extremely reliable, most of them have all the options. Power windows, brakes, heater and a/c that work! And they are on the market at very good prices to purchase.
I have recently purchased a 93 for $1000. One owner car, stack of receipts , for maintenance, oil changed every 3000 miles. 215,000 miles. Cleaned it detailed and sold in one week for $2500. And just recently I purchased a 1990 for $800., cleaning and detailing to bring to market at @$2500.
Craig at CAMP
mbseto
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Sep 12 2015, 12:37 AM) *

Ok, phew. Sorry I blew my top. And sorry I wished the ulti hair dresser car on you.

Ring! Ring!
Hello pot? This is kettle...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.