Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wide body
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Smallblockbug
I have been looking at widebody kits today here and on the ole internet. I havent been able to find pics of what the kit looks like full view other then a here and there shot. Also anyone have a good resource for what adhesive to use to attatch the kits and also any pics of the body cut lines prior to install.

Just making sure some rust areas my car has wont interfere with install of the kit. Right now im still in the planning stage but i am resourcing as much as possible.
Mike Bellis
Where's Elliot?
whitetwinturbo
What wide body pieces do you seek?
Mueller
QUOTE(Smallblockbug @ Sep 11 2015, 04:57 PM) *

I have been looking at widebody kits today here and on the ole internet. I havent been able to find pics of what the kit looks like full view other then a here and there shot. Also anyone have a good resource for what adhesive to use to attatch the kits and also any pics of the body cut lines prior to install.

Just making sure some rust areas my car has wont interfere with install of the kit. Right now im still in the planning stage but i am resourcing as much as possible.

Believe it or not, there are more than one kit or brand smile.gif

Call me silly, but I'd contact the manufacture or seller of the one or more kits you are looking at.

We don't know what kit, nor do we know how the rust is on your car.

If you have cosmetic rust good chances you have structural rust that needs to be fixed 1st since some structural rust repairs require cutting into areas the 'glass fenders need to attach to.

Smallblockbug
Qrs fiberglass kit. Ive seen sheridans kit but im a clean look guy so i would go with a bonded onto body kit. Ive contacted qrs about there kit but i figured i would still ask on here as well.
Smallblockbug
Structural rust i dont have. I have a small hole in the roll bar outer panel that was under the vinyl. Plus at the top of the drivers door handle area but not down anywhere to the latch point.
Smallblockbug
Pic
effutuo101
Here are a lot of pictures
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=Effutuo++build

Smallblockbug
Was on your build earlier. Asked a question at the end of your build as well.
Smallblockbug
Love your car by the way.
effutuo101
Yes! Sorry work and life got in the way. And I missed your question.
Hope that provides some help!
I am ready to do brake, clutch and center console next. I should probably post pic of the radiator install.
I wanted to do a mid engine radiator, but, since moving back to so cal, I need more direct cooling.

Good luck!
Smallblockbug
I dont blame you on radiator location for the heat dissapation. Love your build.
Smallblockbug
No worries on reply time frame i know how life is.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Smallblockbug @ Sep 11 2015, 06:22 PM) *

Structural rust i dont have. I have a small hole in the roll bar outer panel that was under the vinyl. Plus at the top of the drivers door handle area but not down anywhere to the latch point.

Click to view attachment

This is only about 10% of the rust on your car. Maybe less than 10% of the total rust. Keep digging and you WILL find much more...
Montreal914
agree.gif
This is the tip of the iceberg. sad.gif
I would thoroughly inspect the car before spending on body kits.
Use the search function on rust repair, you will see the typical issues.
Plenty of great info here.
Good luck with your project.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 11 2015, 06:09 PM) *

Where's Elliot?

Yeah, that's who I'd be looking for. If I was going the QRS route I don't think I would bond it- I really like the Dzus fasteners on his car plus it makes it easier to work on in some places. He did a great job in lining up all the parts with the stock body lines and the results show it. Either shoot him a PM or look for his build in this site; it will be worth your time.
Elliot Cannon
Finally found it. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=202635&hl=
raw1298
I used QRS quarter panels . I used 3M panel bond adhesive. Works great.
Smallblockbug
The chassis is good other then the small surround metal around jack point. The rear trunk pan by the lights is rusty. The hell hole is good floors are good. Suspension points are good. No sag in the body. Upper strut towers good. The floor pans have slight surface rust. Literally have looked over the whole car. I am not worried about the metal work. Im in research mode on the car.
https://m.facebook.com/nathanial.prince.7/a...53146822661188/
Smallblockbug
Thanks elliot
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Smallblockbug @ Sep 12 2015, 06:22 AM) *

The chassis is good other then the small surround metal around jack point. The rear trunk pan by the lights is rusty. The hell hole is good floors are good. Suspension points are good. No sag in the body. Upper strut towers good. The floor pans have slight surface rust. Literally have looked over the whole car. I am not worried about the metal work. Im in research mode on the car.

Sounds like you are still in denial. This is normal for a new 914 owner. These cars rust from the inside out. Even if you cant see it, it's there. The drivers side upper door area is usually the last place to rust.
Nemisus
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 12 2015, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Smallblockbug @ Sep 12 2015, 06:22 AM) *

Sounds like you are still in denial. This is normal for a new 914 owner. These cars rust from the inside out. Even if you cant see it, it's there. The drivers side upper door area is usually the last place to rust.

For what its worth Mike and I kind of got into it when I came back to this forum. I was all jazzed about my new to me 74 2.0 car that I over looked hidden rust. I too denied that my rust issues were as bad as others said. I am still amazed when I look at this car at what was hiding under what appeared to be solid metal.

In the end Mike was right and I was wrong and the end result was I needed a new tub or some crazy skills just to get the car drive-able again. The 74 still sits in the driveway and a near perfect 73 tub sits in the garage. The cost of a better tub outweighed the cost of just the sheet metal.

Just from the little experience I have with 914's, if you have that kind of rust on your sail panel your can more than likely bet there is more significant rust where you can't see.

Perhaps your lucky and your really don't have bad rust? I am an optimist and hope you don't.

Cheers and good luck

Nemi
Elliot Cannon
I chose to use dzus fasteners on my fenders for the simple reason that if I get hit and break a fender, I can replace it fairly easy. No body work involved. It also helps to work on suspension etc. by being able to remove the fender completely. The QRS fiberglass is good and easy to work with, which is nice because it takes some cutting and massaging to get it to fit right. Personally I would not bond the fenders on because once they are on they are ON. If you mis-align the fender and the bonding glue sets up, you are screwed. If you want to spend a little more money for a very well made, strong and light body you want to go here. http://ultimate914.com/
Smallblockbug
Nope not in denial. Ive had just about every rusty vw vehicle available at one point. Im not saying there isn't any rust im just saying i know im fine with doing any repairs i need to do to it to make it solid. I need a game plan and if i dont it will just get sold on down the rd again. So as of now im just in the research and info mode since my project cash is low and my time is plenty. Thanks for the replys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.