Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats the Rebuild cost of a Subie EG33
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
I talked to a guy today,..That said I should not use SVX motor in my conversion,..being that they don't make them anymore, And rebuilds will become expensive and parts will be hard to find,..How true would this be, could U not use EZ30 parts,..??? Thanks Frank
KELTY360
QUOTE(flmont @ Sep 11 2015, 09:47 PM) *

I talked to a guy today,..That said I should not use SVX motor in my conversion,..being that they don't make them anymore, And rebuilds will become expensive and parts will be hard to find,..How true would this be, could U not use EZ30 parts,..??? Thanks Frank

I just had an EG33 rebuilt from a good core for abut $4k, including balancing. Parts can be difficult to source.
flmont
Yea...thats what he is telling me, did u do any of the build yourself...??? but compared to other subie engines whats 2nd best.
mepstein
I'll probably buy a spare motor for my eg33 conversion. Easy to find for $500-1000. If they really get hard to find I'll switch to a different Suby motor.
DBCooper
They're the EJ22 motor with two cylinders added, and there are hundreds of thousands EJ22's out there. Some things like the crank, cams and heads are unique, obviously, but the basic rebuild parts are all common and easy to find, and that that shouldn't change any time soon. Does "that guy" actually know much about Subaru engines?

I personally would prefer the later EZ engine because it's smaller, but that EG is a tank that was built like a watch, going 2-300,000 miles between rebuilds. Means it's going to be a LONG time before finding parts is a concern again.

76-914
The EZ series is known to be a 300K engine. Not so sure about the EG running that long w/o at least replacing the timing belt. I wouldn't be concerned over rebuild costs. Just buy a JDM and bolt it up. Isn't keeping the cost down 1/2 of why we're converting? The other 1/2 being reliability.
flmont
To 76-914,,,you are exactly right,....and DB..it was a guy from out front that spooked me,..I want a flat six..and i shall have it...lol..Thanks Guys..!!!
Chris H.
The EG33 is a very sturdy engine, as is the EZ. Since the SVX was only offered in automatic the EG33 wasn't stressed at all in stock form. The trans was extremely weak. The car I bought was junk but the engine ran great. 140k miles. Leaked oil and was extremely dirty but that's easily fixed. Take a look at my build thread. The engine is non-interference so you can snap the timing belt and no harm done. Mine looked new when I changed it. The EZ30 engine is a great one too. Either will go well over 200k miles. Eventually down the road Subaru engines need resealing and head gaskets (some sooner than others). When I wear this one out I'll be ready to try something different anyway, but it's got a lot of life left in it.

DBCooper
The other thing is that Subaru engines are plentiful and cheap, so there's almost no reason to rebuild one. The EG engines are a possible exception, but the others you can just buy another used engine and plug it in, no muss, no fuss, for less than the cost of the T4 rebuild parts.

914forme
I now have 3 of them blink.gif but I'm not worried about parts, and when I burn through all of these, I am sure I will find something else to try. Maybe one of these:

Click to view attachment

DBCooper
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 12 2015, 04:22 PM) *

I now have 3 of them blink.gif

Ha ha, so do I! I bought a complete JDM replacement for my son's car then ran across another one from a 49,000 mile U.S. WRX, complete with turbo and all accessories for $450 and couldn't resist. From a mechanic friend who heard it run, so I know it's good. I'll replace the head gaskets, timing belt and water pump and have a plug-and-play spare sitting in the corner for whichever car needs it. 250 horsepower for about $1000, in reserve for whoever needs it. Good deal.

This is an advantage of a Subaru conversion that we don't talk about much. Most of the expense is up front, getting the Subaru in place the first time, but after that everything is a lot cheaper. Well, except for breaking CV joints.

oldschool
Has anyone put one in a 911? icon8.gif
Chris H.
Yep.... several years ago a guy did one. Doubt it will happen any more with the prices skyrocketing. Sounds exactly like my car does now. Video isn't too exciting until about 1 minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4cVMmJKyLg
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 12 2015, 10:35 PM) *

Yep.... several years ago a guy did one. Doubt it will happen any more with the prices skyrocketing. Sounds exactly like my car does now. Video isn't too exciting until about 1 minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4cVMmJKyLg

The build thread is on pelican. He did a first rate job and then sold the kit for $5k. Cool build but he did a ton of fabrication including a gas tank. I would just save up for a real 911 engine since it just bolts in to the car and can be done in a day instead of months.
flmont
My flat 6 will sound just like it,.???
Chris H.
An EG33 would sound a lot like that, yes. The exhaust plays a role but it would be close.

I need to make a fresh vid of my car with the glitches worked out but here is an old one...interior only but as you can tell it sounds very similar to the 911SC conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDn43wU498E
flmont
Yea,... Chris H,..That car sounds...Great,..a couple of questions,..Pls,...A. do ya have headers,...B. How is the throttle hooked up,..I've a few builds but have never seen anything on that,..and C. is that the 901 tranny installed,...Thanks Frank
Chris H.
Yes I have short headers that came from Outfront Motorsports I think. The throttle is hooked up using an extended 914 throttle cable with the correctly sized cable stop on it to fit the Subaru. Terry Cable can make it for you and will send a variety of cable stops to try. I think I made mine about 14 inches longer. I have a 2006 WRX trans.
flmont
Ok,..Great..Thanks...Oh that's right,..Ive ckd ur build I just spaced it,.I would go Suby trans,..but I don't have the ability to Fab,weld,or bend anything,..my conversion is being done under a tarp,..with a hand full of tools,..So I send out,what I need to ,..So the plug and play works best for me,..Thanks....Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.