Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suby convertion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I am considering doings Suby conversion. I want to keep it simple and plan to use the Subaru transmission and stock ECU. I am currently looking for a donor car. This is all a bit new to me so I need to get some input from those who can

Questions

Transmission. There are a number of cheap donor cars advertised with high/low transmissions will this type of transmission work?

Engine: I am thinking about using EJ20 2.0 NA engine 125 hp is this a good choice and has anyone used a 1.8 or is this engine too underpowered?

Appreciate some input

Thanks
mgp4591
I'm of the mind that if I'm doing a conversion, I go with the most hp I can get- it all fits into the same space and there's all kinds of options. You still have to run coolant lines and everything so if you can get it for a good price, go for it and have fun!
DBCooper
I agree. Overall cost isn't going to be much different and it's the same amount of work so why not start with the stronger engine? The EJ engines are a good basic choice, current, easy to find, strong, and relatively easy to add power with cheap cams, injectors, etc if you eventually want it. And you will. No matter what, EVERYONE wants more power.

76-914
If you want a NA 4cyl, I'd go with the 2.5. Powerful (165hp/165fpt)and economical. Your spot on about buying a donor. Take everything off the donor(except the paint & seats) before you send it to the scrap yard. If you can store the donor whilst converting, even better. If done correctly, You will never regret converting.
On the other hand, if you are seeking an easy 125hp then beef up the old Type V clanker. beerchug.gif
DavidSweden
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 12 2015, 05:46 AM) *

If you want a NA 4cyl, I'd go with the 2.5. Powerful (165hp/165fpt)and economical. Your spot on about buying a donor. Take everything off the donor(except the paint & seats) before you send it to the scrap yard. If you can store the donor whilst converting, even better. If done correctly, You will never regret converting.
On the other hand, if you are seeking an easy 125hp then beef up the old Type V clanker. beerchug.gif

Yes you are probably right a 2.5 is a better choice.

A lot of the donor cars available have gearboxes with high/low selectors are these gearboxes suitable? Appreciate if someone can answer this question.

Thanks
914forme
Wow your talking old subarus. Find something in the 2000s that someone has stuffed. NA cars in rest of world format will most likely be SAWD boxes just like ours. Imprezzas over here all have SAWD, and lots are 2.5s, now finding them with out autos is a bigger pain.

Not sure if you have a company like CoParts over there, but this makes finding a donor in the states super easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.