Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CA DMV Heritage Plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hi all - So the DMV here in CA has authorized and made available the black and yellow plates that were supplied on cars through 1969.

They never did receive enough interest, deposits, to authorize the production of the blue/yellow plates. They needed 7,500 deposits and fell short. They refunded my $50 deposit about 6 months ago after waiting 1 year for plates to be authorized.

So, now I am thinking "what would the black/yellow plates look like on my car?" I know they are not period correct since my car would have come with blue/yellow plates, but would black/yellow be cool? Heck, I am not even sure the DMV would allow that plate color on my '71....
olsib914
I have seen BLK/YLL plates on new vehicles...all about $ same as vanity plates
Tom_T
IIRC the early 70 MY 914/4 & -6 from Fall 69 had the B/Y plates. Not sure about the rules today with DMV.

I would wait & try to campaign with the other car clubs with 70s models to try to get them to do the Blue/Yellow ones, I think they were very unclear about it requiring 7500 for EACH type/colors, so a lot of 70s car guys didn't put in for them like you did.

Some guys I see at classic car shows & vintage trailer rallies (as tow vehicles) have had their current White/Blue plates repainted blue/yellow (which isn't allowed) but they seem to get away with it. ... such as at your "71 914" avatar.

Also, if it was originally or previously registered in CA with Blue/Yellow - & you can find those correct plates - then you can also re-register it back to those old plates. I can't recall at the moment what that DMV program is called .... half-zymers dontcha know! blink.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Montreal914
Also, if it was originally or previously registered in CA with Blue/Yellow - & you can find those correct plates - then you can also re-register it back to those old plates. I can't recall at the moment what that DMV program is called ....

That is interesting idea.gif
The project car I bought a year ago came with the blue plates but was non op. It still is, but under my name now. I would like to be able to put back its original plates once I put it back on the road... smile.gif
phillstek
This is what B/Y look like on my car.
Cairo94507
Food for thought. Maybe I will think about this some more.
toolguy
As far as repainting white/blue. . the new white plates do not have the word California in raised protrusions like the blue / yellow early versions. . . . its flush with the plate. . .
dug
Ya, not having the raised california is lame, but still way better than the cheesy script they use in the current plates.
campbellcj
I'll probably try to switch my 997's over to a black plate since it's a black car and I think that would look way better than the reflective-white.

I was pretty bummed the blue plates did not get approved. Was hoping for one for 914R. I'm just gonna leave it white now unless/until I can get a historical plate.
jack20
My first 914, a 1970 with orig plates.Click to view attachment
jack20
My latest 914, with original plates. Picture taken in the same location 45 years later.Click to view attachment
jack20
Sorry for the double post...
brant
hey so I'm completely ignorant about how the California plates work...

it appears you can use an old plate if you can still find one?
do you have to pay back taxes or something?

30 years ago I was given a brand new still in the bag pair of plates
I think black and yellow....
but I think they say they are for a truck/pickup

I'll dig them out and grab a picture
but how does this work in CA?
brant
dlkawashima
It's called the Year of Manufacture program. Here is a link to the DMV page that explains the program:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&...bk/ch21/ch21_36

In a nutshell, cars through model year 1969 are eligible, and you have to find plates that originally could have been issued to your car.
EdwardBlume
What great pictures! aktion035.gif
EdwardBlume
I love the CA blue plate on Dads car because its what I remember from the 70-80s being the CA beach plate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.