Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery overcharging issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Peashooter
The battery in my car is charging at a voltage up to 17+ volts. I had the alt. and regulator tested before I put the engine in the car. The shop said the alt. was OK, regulator bad so it was replaced. I had the reg. checked yesterday and they said it was shorted out. Bought a new one, and checked the voltage at the battery and it is very high.
Any ideas? I guess I have to bite the bullet and pull the shroud so I can check the wiring to the alt. What a pain!
914Sixer
Do you have a spare relay board? If so swap it in and see if it makes any difference. Also, what voltage regulator are you using? I would only use the Bosch one. New aftermarket ones are not doing well.
einic
voltage regulator must be checked. I have good experience with modern electronic regulators on my VW 1302 Super Beetle and also on my 914 2.0 100 HP.
Be sure the regulator is + regulated, newer Bosch are - regulated.
Peashooter
I don't have a spare 6 board, but checked continuity between where the plug from the harness goes in and the spades where the relay plugs in and all is good. I don't know enough about the alt. What voltage should I see at the plug at the relay board?
stugray
It is behaving as if your voltage regulator is "stuck".

Is the replacement a solid state modern type or an older mechanical relay style?
+17 volts is exactly the type of voltage I saw when I removed my VR and jumpered straight across it to test the alternator.
At least you know your alternator is good.

Dont keep driving it like that or you will destroy the battery (or worse).
TheCabinetmaker
Just went through this on my car. Had vr problems and installed a new type. Didn't screw it down. Just stuck it in to test. First bump I hit volts pegged. Wiggled the vr and it went back to 13+. Next bump, back up. Stop at the first parts store and bought a pack of screw's. Screwed it in solid and it's fine now. What brand regulator did you buy? Hella makes them that look the same, but the plug in is different. It'll plug in, but won't work.
Peashooter
I'm not driving it, it will cook the battery. The one they had is a generic piece. It plugs in OK, and I screwed it down. Ordering a Bosch one, but if there is something else going on I don't want to fry it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.