Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which cams for my carbed 2.7 /6 build- E or S?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
Which cams should I use for my /6. I have two different cam sets. I have E and S sets. I do not want to buy new cams. My car is simply for fun on the road. This is my general setup that I am building.

2.7l
70.4mm crank
Stock 2.7l heads
9.5:1 JE 90mm pistons
Dual zenith carbs.
Bruce Hinds
I think that would depend on what kind of driving you will be doing.

As I understand the cams - the S is "peaky" the torque curve is liner with the RPM where as the E has a flatter torque curve giving better low end and mid range torque.

PlaysWithCars
Like Bruce said, depends what you're doing with it. I went with E cams in my 2.4L MFI build. I have a 2.4S as well and it isn't as peaky as their reputation implies; it's okay for driving around town and fun in the upper revs. The larger displacement compared to 2.0 or 2.2 that the S cams built their reputation around, helps a lot to fatten out the lower rpm torque curve; your 2.7 will moderate the cam even further.

To me the biggest difference is where you want the torque when you want to "play". If you want to zip around town and have good torque stop light to stop light then the E is the right choice. If you only plan track days or back road bombing and don't mind that it needs to be over 4000 rpm to get into the power then the S will work. One question to consider is what rpm you want to spin your motor to. The S will require north of 7000 to really use it.
Steve
Check into the solex cams. I heard there more of a 3/4 can than the E cam. The S is too high for a street car.
Otherwise I would go with the E cam.
Luke M
I like the Solex cams.. They fall in between the E & S cams..
Bruce A book notes them to be the better choice for the 2.7 RS spec engine.
That's what I put in my 2.7 build but you can't go wrong with either E or S.
E cams are better for a street driven car where the S are more for high speed/track.
I drove a 914-6 2.7 RS spec with the S cams in it. The car seamed to like to rev to 7300 but had not much low end take off.. with that said some old beat up chevy took me off the line but couldn't keep up once I got higher up in the revs.

If all possible see if you can drive someones car with both cams.
I bet you will like the E vs the S cams.
screenguy914
A one point increase in compression ratio (9.5:1) over the standard RS spec of 8.5:1 (optimistic) will increase low end torque as well as bring a slight improvement in fuel mileage. Some head mods might gain an additional CR (or a true 9.5:1), but the closer you get to 10:1 tends to require twin-plugs to reduce detonation with 91 octane pump gas. I'd opt for the S cams unless you just want around-town cruising punch.

Sherwood
Peashooter
Do you have the S heads with the 35mm ports or the standard heads with I think 32mm ports? If the std. heads, I'd go with the E cams for sure. Better low end and mid range. Unless you are going to track the car a lot, the E cams are a better fit for the street.
GeorgeRud
When Supertec rebuilt my 2.7 with a RS piston/cylinder set, Henry put in his S cams, and the results are amazing. Plenty of torque throughout the rev range, but it's a rocket ship when it's above 4000 rpm. 199hp at the rear wheels using Weber carbs and factory heat exchangers. I think the larger displacement makes up for any low end torque issues with the hotter cams.
tornik550
I am definitely going to use the e cams. Unfortunate, I found one fairly large damaged area on one lobe of my 1,2,3 bank cam. Does anyone have a spare that they would like to sell- pn 901-105-110-0r
tornik550
I am definitely going to use the e cams. Unfortunate, I found one fairly large damaged area on one lobe of my 1,2,3 bank cam. Does anyone have a spare that they would like to sell- pn 901-105-110-0r
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.