Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Break In Before Install?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
I'm thinking it might be easier to break in my freshly built 2.0 before I install it in the car (after I actually get it built biggrin.gif )

Are there any benefits to doing the break in after installation? If I decide to run it before hand, how do I hook up the electrical?
ConeDodger
In someways you haven't given us enough information.

Do you plan on breaking it in with carbs or EFI? Carbs require only the starter and fuel pump to be wired, EFI is much more complicated.

Break in is really a two part process. The cam is 20 minutes at 2K RPM. The rings I think are easier done with the engine in the car. Unless you're Jake and you have two engine Dynos and a chassis Dyno. I take it he car out to a nice quiet road and run it up to redline 4-5 times and then let it coast back down to idle. This should seat the rings and complete the break in. Important that you do the ring seating under load so don't just rev it in the driveway.

Wire the battery to the starter through a momentary switch that quits energizing the starter once the engine is on. Wire the fuel pump with a simple toggle and remember to shut it off! blink.gif
Elliot Cannon
Put it in the car. Then drive it hard. Have fun.
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 13 2015, 12:50 PM) *

In someways you haven't given us enough information.

Sorry about that. I will be using carbs.

Thank you for the info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.