Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 Owner!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newmexico
Hi all. I was introduced to the world of 914's by my lovely girlfriend (soon to be fiance, but sshh). Her first car was 76 914. She sold it about 10 years ago and has been kicking herself since.

I came across a Craigslist ad for a '72 and the body looked to be in pretty good condition and the price wasn't bad (seemingly), so I talked her into letting me pick it up.

It's actually on its way to being towed to me now (it lived an hour and a half away). The owner said it's been sitting for at least a year when the starter went out.

I'm new to these cars completely, having grown up an old Chevy small-block guy, so I've already been reading through a ton of old and current threads on here to try to get up to speed.

I look forward to the journey! Thanks for the resources you've all provided through your forum posts.

Porschef
welcome.png

As been said here many times by others more savvy than I, this here place is probably your best resource. If you start, you'll be drawn in to learning as much about these cars as you'd care to know. Start with your basic rust/structural assessment, update the important things (you'll read about those) and get it running safely.

Add gas and enjoy! smile.gif
Spoke
welcome.png

As you make a list of things to work on, put "get rid of the single center carb"

beerchug.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 14 2015, 01:01 PM) *

welcome.png

As you make a list of things to work on, put "get rid of the single center carb"

beerchug.gif

I agree. You'll enjoy the car a lot more without that carb. You should be able to find just about whatever you need on 914world. And if you can't, just ask. Everyone here is pretty easy going and happy to help. Welcome to the world.
JoeDees
I debated driving the 4 hours to El Paso to look at this car. I hope it's good enough to make me regret not going.
Vysoc
That is an interesting looking red stripe on the passenger side. I hope it has lived it's life in the dry and relatively rust free climate of New Mexico!!

Welcome to the fun, get that thing in good shape and enjoy it in the Hondo Valley!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
Cairo94507
welcome.png

As soon as possible, get that puppy up in the air and do a complete rust assessment on the chassis before you go any further. These cars are a blast, but address any rust issues first and foremost. And, Have fun.
Tom_T
welcome.png

.... & congratz on the "shhhhh...."! biggrin.gif

As others have said, start looking. There's a good 914 shop up in ABQ if you get stuck on something in LC. One of the NM guys can probably direct you, here's addy....

Dr. J's
4201 San Mateo NE
ABQ NM 87110
505-341-4747
Jay Waterfield

I've not taken a 914 there, but was in the area for other work on the rental tow vehicle for the Avion trailer we bought in ABQ back in July 2012, & stopped by to visit when I saw half a dozen + 914s in the lot & visited with Jay. He's been around 914s for a long time & knew what he's talking about when we visited. I collect info for 914, BMW & VW experts when I travel as the "just in case" when traveling long distances with my older classic cars.

Local's will have to speak to first hand experience with him there.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
theleschyouknow
welcome.png
I kinda like the red stripe (hooray beer!)
anybody know what wheels those are?, I like them too
beerchug.gif
cjl
stinkindiesel
Welcome. My car started life in Hobbs. Good for rust, not so much for rubber.

Gary
sb914
welcome.png the red ones are the fastest. beerchug.gif
Cuda911
Hey, congrats!!
poorsche914
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Sep 14 2015, 02:33 PM) *
anybody know what wheels those are?, I like them too
beerchug.gif
cjl

Wheel covers huh.gif

driving.gif
Montreal914
welcome.png

Be careful... it's addictive biggrin.gif

assimilate.gif
raw1298
welcome.png
r_towle
Get rid of the center carb.
Lose the stripe.

Tune it up, and drive it like you stole it.
rick 918-S
welcome.png
PanelBilly
Welcome

Take lots of pictures and post them here. You'll get plenty of free advise and save yourself a lot of time
newmexico
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 14 2015, 11:52 AM) *

welcome.png

.... & congratz on the "shhhhh...."! biggrin.gif

As others have said, start looking. There's a good 914 shop up in ABQ if you get stuck on something in LC. One of the NM guys can probably direct you, here's addy....

Dr. J's
4201 San Mateo NE
ABQ NM 87110
505-341-4747
Jay Waterfield

I've not taken a 914 there, but was in the area for other work on the rental tow vehicle for the Avion trailer we bought in ABQ back in July 2012, & stopped by to visit when I saw half a dozen + 914s in the lot & visited with Jay. He's been around 914s for a long time & knew what he's talking about when we visited. I collect info for 914, BMW & VW experts when I travel as the "just in case" when traveling long distances with my older classic cars.

Local's will have to speak to first hand experience with him there.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I'm writing this down now. I'll actually be in ABQ Friday..maybe I can swing by and check it out. Thank you!
newmexico
Thanks everyone for the replies! I am beyond excited.

I actually got the car home yesterday and stuck it in the garage. It seems pretty solid as far as rust goes. We did try to turn it over after giving the battery a quick charge, but nothing happened when we turned the key...

Turns out this car might be kind of a fun challenge as far as wiring. One of the previous owners ran wires from the battery and ignition coil directly through from the engine compartment, running underneath a center console to a switch mounted in there (sorry I didn't take pics yet and I'm at work now....working...). I was able to bump the engine like that, but it didn't sound like the starter was making good contact (and what I'm about to start researching on here right now).

I'm also reading some old threads on wiring harness installs (and I found the Bowlsby website, awesome). It might be easier to install a new/used harness rather than try to un-screw what's in there now.. because it looks like a disaster. Added wiring for power windows, and what looks like extra wires running to the front of the car, to the back of the car...a bunch of wires in the engine compartment just hanging, wires running to the rear trunk just disconnected. I ordered a Haynes manual and am going to print some stuff out from Pelican to get started.
Chris Pincetich
the fun has just started! beerchug.gif
If you have some friends that like pushing, you could try to jump start it prior to buying a new starter. I have the "eBay high-torque mini-starter" in mine, and it's worked great for the last 8+ years. Smaller and lighter and maybe cheaper than a Bosch starter.

Home-spun wiring, oh boy..... sad.gif

Good luck! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.