Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finding a distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschefile2010
1975 2.0 After nearly $NZ900 spent tracking a problem with the car dropping two cylinders ( including new trigger points, coil and more ) we have finally worked out that the distributor is the problem. Although the car would start and run for a few minutes it would suddenly start flooding 2/4.
AA don't have a distributor in stock and Pelican's site doesn't seem to have my part no 022 905 205F.
Does anyone on the board know where I might find a replacement at a sensible cost.

Thanks once again.
r_towle
Used, contact SLITS or bruce stone here.
stugray
I have one.
I'll look for the exact part # when I get home.
porschefile2010
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 15 2015, 07:54 AM) *

I have one.
I'll look for the exact part # when I get home.

Thanks for that. I am not sure of the significance of the "F". I guess if the dizzy comes from a 75 or 76 2.0 car running FI we should be ok.
porschetub
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Sep 15 2015, 07:19 AM) *

1975 2.0 After nearly $NZ900 spent tracking a problem with the car dropping two cylinders ( including new trigger points, coil and more ) we have finally worked out that the distributor is the problem. Although the car would start and run for a few minutes it would suddenly start flooding 2/4.
AA don't have a distributor in stock and Pelican's site doesn't seem to have my part no 022 905 205F.
Does anyone on the board know where I might find a replacement at a sensible cost.

Thanks once again.

Good luck getting it running,nice to see a Kiwi owner on here ,these cars aren't very common in our country....parts ? they are pretty much non-existant sad.gif .
Dave_Darling
The "F" would be a revision of the basic part number. The different years, markets, and emissions standards required slightly different distributors. Generally the only difference was the exact amount of centrifugal advance and vacuum retard (and possibly advance). If you get a D-jet distributor, it should work OK. Best to get one that matches the engine, but sometimes that isn't feasible.

I think there's distributor advance information in the "914 info" section available through a link at the top of the page here. If not, I can dig through the Internet Wayback Machine for the set I put up on the old dgi.net website.

--DD
stugray
My parts list shows I have the following dizzys:

022 905 205 F (1.7L )
039 905 205 (A 429) (2.0L )
JF4 0 231 178 009
JF4 0 231 178 009 w/ pertronix-like

So that first one looks like exactly what you need.
Let me dig through my parts to make sure I still have it.

EDIT: I found it. It has a cap and a Pertronix already in it.
This was the dist that came off of my racecar when I bought it.
The PO had it running with the FI, so it must have been working but I never personally witnessed it.

Didnt realize you were so far away shipping wise..
Too bad I didnt know a few days ago.
One of my closest coworkers just left for NZ yesterday....
porschetub
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Sep 15 2015, 07:19 AM) *

Thanks once again.

Sent you an email re:distributor,should be able to help you out,cheers.
porschefile2010
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 15 2015, 12:02 PM) *

My parts list shows I have the following dizzys:

022 905 205 F (1.7L )
039 905 205 (A 429) (2.0L )
JF4 0 231 178 009
JF4 0 231 178 009 w/ pertronix-like

So that first one looks like exactly what you need.
Let me dig through my parts to make sure I still have it.

EDIT: I found it. It has a cap and a Pertronix already in it.
This was the dist that came off of my racecar when I bought it.
The PO had it running with the FI, so it must have been working but I never personally witnessed it.

Didnt realize you were so far away shipping wise..
Too bad I didnt know a few days ago.
One of my closest coworkers just left for NZ yesterday....

Thanks for your help. So the F is obviously for a 1.7 so I wonder if the 2.0 is different?? My car was running ok with the F type. Were the 1.7's L Jet or D jet? Can't recall.
Regards
Richard and thanks for your help once again
porschefile2010
[quote name='porschetub' date='Sep 15 2015, 12:21 PM' post=Thanks once again.
[/quote]

Sent you an email re:distributor,should be able to help you out,cheers.
[/quote]
No email received yet. Could you PM me please. Would be good to hook up with you anyway.
Wdunster
Sent you a Pm. Let me know if I can help.
Bill
Dave_Darling
All of the 4-cylinder cars were D-jet except for the 1.8s.

The VW part numbers for the 2.0 distributors start with 039, the 1.7 ones start with 021 or 022.

--DD
914Mels
I've never seen a distributor cause a flooding problem. If you have bad trigger points you pretty much lose the injector signal and no gas flows. If your are getting a couple cylinders going super rich like it sounds like you are saying, it is probably the ECM drivers gone bad. See if you can find a loaner ECM to put in before you go for a distributor.
Dave_Darling
We have seen the trigger points bounce, injecting twice as much fuel as they should.

We have also seen the output stage transistors in the ECU fail, so the injectors open and never close. (Instant CIS! Whee!) That can dump enough fuel into the combustion chamber to hydro-lock the motor. (Don't ask how I know this.)

--DD
porschefile2010
QUOTE(914Mels @ Sep 16 2015, 04:00 AM) *

I've never seen a distributor cause a flooding problem. If you have bad trigger points you pretty much lose the injector signal and no gas flows. If your are getting a couple cylinders going super rich like it sounds like you are saying, it is probably the ECM drivers gone bad. See if you can find a loaner ECM to put in before you go for a distributor.

Thanks. I have a spare Control Unit and we have changed it out to see if there was any difference. Unfortunately the symptoms remain.
porschefile2010
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 16 2015, 10:54 AM) *

We have seen the trigger points bounce, injecting twice as much fuel as they should.

We have also seen the output stage transistors in the ECU fail, so the injectors open and never close. (Instant CIS! Whee!) That can dump enough fuel into the combustion chamber to hydro-lock the motor. (Don't ask how I know this.)

--DD

Hi Dave. Forgive my terminology but I am not a great mechanic. My mechanic says that in the distributor that is unique to the D Jet cars, there are two contacts inside the device ( not the trigger points ) and in my case one of these is worn and causing the issue. Is this correct? If not we are barking up the wrong tree.
bdstone914
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Sep 15 2015, 05:50 PM) *

--DD

Hi Dave. Forgive my terminology but I am not a great mechanic. My mechanic says that in the distributor that is unique to the D Jet cars, there are two contacts inside the device ( not the trigger points ) and in my case one of these is worn and causing the issue. Is this correct? If not we are barking up the wrong tree.

You probably just need trigger points. i have them. assuming that is the problem. the trigger points have two sets of contacts
porschefile2010
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 16 2015, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Sep 15 2015, 05:50 PM) *

--DD

You probably just need trigger points. i have them. assuming that is the problem. the trigger points have two sets of contacts

We also put a new set of trigger points in too . ??? So do you think that there aren't additional contacts in the body of the dizzy that are causing this?
porschefile2010
OK. Dumb Kiwi. I have not described the mechanics findings well at all. I had a long chat to him today and passed on all the information the forum has provided.
Apparently the problem is that the cam on the distributor shaft is worn on one of the two sides and is not activating the trigger points properly. So that now makes some sense to me. Sorry to mess you all around.
I have suggested we get the cam rebuilt and machined. Not sure if that will work and we are still looking for a replacement as well but it looks like I may have found one here in NZ.
Thanks again to you all.
Richard
Dave_Darling
You may be able to use parts from a D-jetronic Type III distributor (VW fastback/squareback). They will have the extra cam lobes to run the trigger points.

--DD
porschetub
Richard ,PM sent about the one I have,cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.