Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Temp Gauge Replacement Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
I have been reading posts and info about replacing the stock oil temp gauge with a new VDO replacement that actually reads in degree numbers, but am more confused than when I started. Does anyone know what VDO gauge to buy and what is the matching temp sensor to use with it? Specific part numbers and sourcing would be greatly appreciated. Also how straight forward is this conversion?

Car is a '74 2.0L. I would be replacing the center console gauge. Thanks all,

Ansbacher
Dave_Darling
First, there is no direct replacement with numbers available. That's because the center console gauges are a slightly different diameter than the VDO gauges that are common today. To fit a modern gauge in the old console, you will probably need an adaptor ring (bottom of this page), or at least a good wrapping of black electrical tape.

Second, there are a number of aftermarket gauges that will work in different circumstances. The important thing is that you get a gauge and sender that are set up for each other. Looks like Pelican doesn't have anything listed, which is too bad. But the sender and gauge need to have the same temperature range, the gauge has to have the right diameter (or close enough), and the sender has to thread into the bung in the engine.

--DD
dangerranger01
This page has tons of info on this thing. Bottom line though, is to order the gauge with its sending unit included so you know its matched right. Make sure sender has the correct thread on it...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97987
SKL1
I sent my OEM temp gauge to North Hollywood Speedometer and they added temp numbers and a new sending unit. Works great and looks original.Click to view attachment
Ansbacher
Thanks a million everyone for the great info and pics. It looks like I already possess a newer type 300 degree VDO sensor, found one in my stash. Now I just have to order the 300 degree VDO cockpit gauge.

Ansbacher
Montreal914
I would still do a boiling water test to make sure...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.