Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Subie Swap - Transmission/Axle help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheBabyBadger
So.............

I bought a Swapped EZ30R 914. It is running a WRX 5spd manual trans. It's mostly done and I'm cleaning up and wiring, but I've run into a problem with the axles. I got it with the driver side axle broken, and did not get the axle so I'm not sure EXACTLY what is actually broken.

The long and short of this is obviously there IS an axle solution, because it's already been done once, but I'm not sure what that solution is. My guess is the axle is 914 with a Subie or similar CV swapped onto inboard end of it.

My other option is a female stub axle that will work on the Subie trans (it has a male stub) and bolt to the 914 or even a 944 axle.

Any and all help appreciated. To recap - Axle is 914 on outboard side with Subie female CV inboard. Thanks in advance.

Fully custom axles aren't a terrible idea, but I don't know who could make the entire axle. Currently the company the axle is with wants $600 just to replicate the axle shaft, which is quite high.

I'm located in the Bay, so PM me if you're local and can help. I'm not looking for freebies I just wanna drive this thing.

biggrin.gif

Brian
76-914
I think you are about 30-50hp more than my EZ30D so you may want to go with sway away or coldwater products. You do, however have the same drive train that I am using. I think. huh.gif Look about 1/2 way thru my build thread to verify. IIRC, its around pg 15. If so, the info is there as to what, where and how much.
DBCooper
There was one broken axle that you don't have? Meaning you have one? If that's right then in all likelihood your best alternative is to use the one side that you have and duplicate it on the side you don't. To do that you need to identify what that axle that you have is, what CV joints are used on either end, and how that axle connects to the Subaru transmission.

There are two basic ways to adapt the Subaru transmission into the 914. One method is using adapters on those Subaru stub axles coming out of the transmission, then use stock 100mm VW bus axles on out. Here, aftermarket flanges that fit onto the Subaru stubs (the ones on the left, from www.subarugears.com):
IPB Image

The other way is to use the (usually painted green) Subaru inner CV joints on the transmission (they aren't really CV's, but that's for later) and have 914 or custom axles splined to fit into the Subaru CV's. So first things first, what do you have left that you can duplicate? Do you know? Or can you take photos?

Hey, didn't you get this car from a guy who had work done by Brody at www.914sgonewild.com? If so he might know. Good guy, give him a call.

Also Sway-a-way (www.swayaway.com) in Los Angeles almost certainly has them in stock and cheaper than the company that has yours. Has that company identified what axle it is?

TheBabyBadger
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 14 2015, 05:24 PM) *

I think you are about 30-50hp more than my EZ30D so you may want to go with sway away or coldwater products. You do, however have the same drive train that I am using. I think. huh.gif Look about 1/2 way thru my build thread to verify. IIRC, its around pg 15. If so, the info is there as to what, where and how much.

I may have solved the problem. Stay tuned... I got a hold of Luis from 914s gone wild. he has a trick solution that will allow me to run 930 axles (which are bad ass) by milling the 930 stubs and using the Subie cups. I'll post pics as we get into it.

Thanks. Killer input. If this fails then I will go the VW axle route, but I think for strength this is best.

Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere instead of spinning my wheels, pun intended.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.