Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srreality
I did acquire the 1973 914-4 VIN 4732907790 that I posted a month or so ago. Even with the instructions I can't seem to get my photos to upload, but here's my initial work list for your suggestions as to parts sources:

Inspect, repair and replace front suspension parts.
Inspect, repair and replace rear suspension parts.
Inspect, repair and replace steering rack parts.
Rebuild the brakes, front and rear
Carpeting and underlayment
Seat back recover (brown)
Exhaust
Tires
Rebuild CV joints/axles as needed
Replace seals on transmission
Fuel injection system and ECU as needed (hasn't run for 8 years)
Windshield
Battery and battery protection

I have a local source to rebuild the engine (long block)

I have Pelican, Auto Atlanta, Paragon and CFR Racing as sources so far.

Shocks are Bilsteins, no leaks, but, of course, I have no idea how old they really are or how many miles on them. Odometer says 33,457, but not verified. As a reminder, the body metal and paint work are all done.

Thanks! type.gif
zambezi
914rubber for carpet, PMB for brake rebuild
Dave_Darling
I'd save AA as a last resort. And maybe not even that. (See many other threads on why.)

GPR are good people, and 914 guys to boot. Plus they advertise here.

914rubber can help with seals and such, and also with the interior materials, including seat material and carpet.

Your local windshield people may be able to get you a 914 WS. They're still out there...

Used is your best bet for a lot of the FI parts. Try the classified forum here and the similar (smaller) one on Pelican.

Paragon (in TX) is good with 914 suspension, especially if you're looking for something more than just the standard stock or near-stock stuff.

Batteries are something to get locally. I suggest one of the absorbed-glass mat (AGM) type, like the Optima or Odysey. I know Optima isn't quite what they used to be, and other brands also use the AGM technology now.

Definitely PMB for brakes. Eric also has more than a little clue about suspension as well.

Tangerine Racing if you want the absolute best exhaust, or other nifty stuff fabricated for 914s. For the standard exhaust, the larger retailers (GPR, Pelican) can probably help. For the stainless-steel SSI exhaust, used is your only real option.

--DD
rangrbob
Tom,

I second Dave Darlings post. You can also add Stitch Masters to the list for upholstery. They are just up the street in south Fort Collins. Matt has done the upholstery on all of my past projects. He does good work and has fair prices.

I can help source parts for you as well.

Karl
Cairo94507
Great advise provided above. Keep working on getting those pictures posted so we can all jump in with our opinions on what the heck to do... biggrin.gif
welcome.png Let the madness begin!
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 15 2015, 08:28 AM) *

I'd save AA as a last resort. And maybe not even that. (See many other threads on why.)

914rubber can help with seals and such, and also with the interior materials, including seat material and carpet.

Your local windshield people may be able to get you a 914 WS. They're still out there...

Used is your best bet for a lot of the FI parts. Try the classified forum here and the similar (smaller) one on Pelican.

Paragon (in TX) is good with 914 suspension, especially if you're looking for something more than just the standard stock or near-stock stuff.

Batteries are something to get locally. I suggest one of the absorbed-glass mat (AGM) type, like the Optima or Odysey. I know Optima isn't quite what they used to be, and other brands also use the AGM technology now.

Definitely PMB for brakes. Eric also has more than a little clue about suspension as well.

Tangerine Racing if you want the absolute best exhaust, or other nifty stuff fabricated for 914s. For the standard exhaust, the larger retailers (GPR, Pelican) can probably help. For the stainless-steel SSI exhaust, used is your only real option.

--DD

agree.gif With Dave. How could I not. biggrin.gif I would also recommend bdstone. If he doesn't have it, he can find it for you.
Cheers, Elliot
srreality
Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure I'll be back for more once I physically get started!
catsltd
My 74 1.8L problems bought in June.
Drove it home.

Injectors were leaking,seals,etc.,replace the injectors,dont waste your time rebuilding.
New ones were about 65 each,car runs so much smoother,when it is actually running.
Spark plugs and wires.

Pertronix ignition get rid of points,PM me I bought 2,and dont need either now.

Grounds were all bad.

Change out all hoses if original,especially gas lines.

Spend your money on brakes and engine first ,you need to enjoy driving,because most of the time you will be fixing things and being able to drive it while working on it,is the only way to go.

All my problems were fixed in this forum,so this is the place to be when you run into trouble.

Love the car when its running,waiting on parts as usual.
Welcome.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 15 2015, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 15 2015, 08:28 AM) *

--DD

agree.gif With Dave. How could I not. biggrin.gif I would also recommend bdstone. If he doesn't have it, he can find it for you.
Cheers, Elliot

Thanks Elliot. I have tons of usde 914 parts and lots of refinished parts. screen nsme is bdstone914. add aol.com to email me.
TargaToy
bdstone914 rocks! He's sold me several sheet metal goodies cut just the way I requested (out of a California car that was probably in way better shape than the car I'm fixing) biggrin.gif

r_towle
Buy yourself a spare parts car...
srreality
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2015, 08:48 PM) *

Buy yourself a spare parts car...

The deal I made includes a complete parts car and the use of a lift for a year. The parts car has been sitting outside for years, so all the "soft" parts are probably worthless, but there's still a lot of usable stuff there. I can also use it as a "model" to help me put the good one back together!
srreality
QUOTE(catsltd @ Sep 15 2015, 06:30 PM) *

My 74 1.8L problems bought in June.
Drove it home.

Injectors were leaking,seals,etc.,replace the injectors,dont waste your time rebuilding.
New ones were about 65 each,car runs so much smoother,when it is actually running.
Spark plugs and wires.

Pertronix ignition get rid of points,PM me I bought 2,and dont need either now.

Grounds were all bad.

Change out all hoses if original,especially gas lines.

Spend your money on brakes and engine first ,you need to enjoy driving,because most of the time you will be fixing things and being able to drive it while working on it,is the only way to go.

All my problems were fixed in this forum,so this is the place to be when you run into trouble.

Love the car when its running,waiting on parts as usual.
Welcome.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking along the same lines.

My general plan is to do the "dirty" work first (suspension, steering, brakes, tires) then send the engine out for rebuild. While that's going on, I can work on the reassembling the body trim, lights, etc., redoing the interior. When the long block comes back, I can assemble the power train and get it ready to lift into the "finished" car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.