Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taking off the steering wheel hub?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
How do I get this part off?

era vulgaris
Put the steering wheel back on without the horn button. Grab one of the spokes in the steering wheel to leverage against your socket wrench. Also if you have one of those "club" anti theft thingies, attach it to the steering wheel for extra leverage.
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Sep 15 2015, 01:10 PM) *

How do I get this part off?

Remove the center nut from the shaft (27mm if i recall correctly), make sure you also get the large washer out from under the nut, then grab the hub and pull it off.

Easier with the wheel still attached to the hub ...
smile.gif
boxsterfan
Thanks guys. I'll try pulling harder. Perhaps I can pull on it hard enough that I solve the problem of getting my rear window out. smile.gif
turk22
when your front lip starts bleeding, your pulling hard enough! av-943.gif
AZ914
Yeah, you may want to wear a helmet.

I've actually used a hub type puller.. if you can get something for it to grab onto, it worked to at least 'break it free'.
Dave_Darling
I've found that leverage and wiggling can move stubborn parts. I'd probably put the wheel back on the hub, loosen the retaining nut (but don't remove it!!) and then grabbing the outer edge of the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and pulling on each side alternately.

--DD
porschetub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 16 2015, 10:44 AM) *

I've found that leverage and wiggling can move stubborn parts. I'd probably put the wheel back on the hub, loosen the retaining nut (but don't remove it!!) and then grabbing the outer edge of the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and pulling on each side alternately.

--DD

True Dave but has someone wound up the nut with the wrong spline on the wheel adaptor...seen it before.
Agreed that the wheel needs to be on there to get it moving however.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.