Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need opinions on which heads to use on /6 2.7 build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I am building a /6 2.7l with JE 9.5:1 Pistons. I am using E cams and I have 1.5" MSDS headers. Here are the tow head options that I have. Car is for street fun, no racing. In formulating your opinion please consider a nice balance of cost/ performance. I am not necessarily looking for the heads with the best performance. For example if there is a huge cost difference however only a slight performance gain- obviously go with the cheaper...

Which would you use-

Option 1- 2.2E heads completely rebuilt and ready to go. The intake ports were ported from 32mm to 35mm. The exhaust is the stock 32mm however it was "cleaned up" using a flow bench which did improve numbers however I do not know how it is compared to a stock 2.7l head. I do not have a way of getting the flow numbers now. These obviously would be free since I own them and all the work has been done.

Option 2- 2.7l heads that need completely rebuilt. not sure how much it costs to completely rebuild them however I would guess around $1000. The only potential benefit with these heads are that the exhaust ports are stock 35mm vs "cleaned up" 32mm.

I have spent sooooooo much money on this engine and I don't want to spend much more unless it would be worth the extra money.
TravisNeff
the 2.7 heads would be 35mm only if they are for the S model.
tornik550
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Sep 15 2015, 07:31 PM) *

the 2.7 heads would be 35mm only if they are for the S model.

Yes mine are 2.7 S heads
johnhora
How about selling the 2.2E heads to finance the 2.7S heads rebuild.....
rick 918-S
Here's an option the 2.7 and 2.7S heads unless your having the injection ports welded.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=263516
porschetub
You are running carbs,right?,the 2.2S heads will give you nice power /torque down lower in the rev range, you won't run out of puff until you get way up in the rev's which you don't use much anyway.
IMO you will be fine with these heads....that you already have, others may disagree.
TVRLOTUSTR3
E cams like small ports, Solex and S cams like big ports.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.