Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How bad is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FlippinEh
Any opinions on if this is saveable?
Tom_T
Judging by the half-fast patch below to hole, there's much more rust rot in there to address, but if you have the welding & sheet metal talents & budget, you can cut-n-weld, but expect a larger area than just that pic.

.... i.e.: you'll be rebuilding the entire area/structure.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
FlippinEh
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 15 2015, 06:29 PM) *

Judging by the half-fast patch below to hole, there's much more rust rot in there to address, but if you have the welding & sheet metal talents & budget, you can cut-n-weld, but expect a larger area than just that pic.

.... i.e.: you'll be rebuilding the entire area/structure.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks for the quick reply. So with some welding and $ this is potentially salvageable?

I recently aquired this car (paid next to nothing) so i kinda want to make a project out of it. Besides the "hell hole" this is the worst thing i've come across...
FlippinEh
This photo A better view of the hole...
PanelBilly
Have it sandblasted and see what's under all that rot. I think that's much easier than grinding it away. And to answer the question, its fixable.
dlee6204
Doesn't look too bad but no doubt there will be more. Definitely fixable though.
TargaToy
It's bad. That's the tip of the iceberg...but it's fixable. Just wrapping up my passenger side. Lots of work and time. If you are comfortable with metal work and aren't in a hurry, you can fix that...but seriously when you see a rust-through like that, you'll probably find way worse stuff inside.

Click to view attachment
TargaToy
Second post because I was too lazy to downsize my pics. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Restoration Design is your friend.
76-914
And they're in Canada so no expensive cross border shipping charges. There are some great rusteration build threads here.
mbseto
I feel obligated to say it's fixable because mine looks a lot like that.
TargaToy
QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 16 2015, 09:17 AM) *

Absolutely fixable! It just gets worse before it gets better. I don't want to scare the OP but realistically there's ugliness lurking inside that long and the hell hole probably needs love too. I got everything I could from Restoration Design and then made what I couldn't source. Fix it and keep another 914 going!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

FlippinEh
Thanks everyone! The car at least kinda runs so we probably will be fixing it piratenanner.gif especially considering the price we paid for it smile.gif

Never did I think we would have a Porsche project but this car basically came out of no where! That with this cult like following for it and resources / expertise here makes me want to bring it to life.
SirAndy
QUOTE(FlippinEh @ Sep 16 2015, 09:50 AM) *
That with this cult like following for it and resources / expertise here makes me want to bring it to life.
first.gif

Check out this thread for some inspiration:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748
smile.gif
Dave_Darling
Everything is savable if you throw enough money, time, parts, and expertise at it. If it were my car, I would probably part it. But I can't weld, and don't have the time or workspace to learn. Plus there are a good number of low-rust 914s in my area, and I could probably buy one for less than it would cost me to have someone else (who know what they're doing!) fix that properly.

--DD
jimkelly
good of you to be able to... and keep another one away from the scrap yard beerchug.gif
JoeDees
You'll have fun fixing it, and the car will be extra special to you afterwards. The fix is like intimacy.
peteyd
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 15 2015, 06:15 PM) *

And they're in Canada so no expensive cross border shipping charges. There are some great rusteration build threads here.

There is actually not any expensive charges to cross the border. All North american made parts are under the NAFTA agreement. Anything made in Europe has some duty, but it is only 2.5% on those specific parts.

A very big misconception that people have about buying parts from us, its just not the case.

Pete
mepstein
QUOTE(peteyd @ Sep 17 2015, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 15 2015, 06:15 PM) *

There is actually not any expensive charges to cross the border. All North american made parts are under the NAFTA agreement. Anything made in Europe has some duty, but it is only 2.5% on those specific parts.

A very big misconception that people have about buying parts from us, its just not the case.

Pete

agree.gif I've bought a 914 worth of parts from resto d and scotty b has bought 10x that. all the prices including shipping are always reasonable. No worries buying cross border. and I usually have it within a couple days!

***Keep buying from restoration design so they can keep supporting our 914's
wobbletop
Plus the CDN dollar sucks right now... good for you south of the border.
mbseto
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Sep 16 2015, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 16 2015, 09:17 AM) *

Absolutely fixable!

Yeah, didn't mean that to sound negative. Just shooting for solidarity. Power to the Porsche!

Also, nice work Conrad- hope mine ends up looking as good.
last337
This is some before and after from mine. I found a guy to do all the welding locally. I initially started it myself but quickly discovered that I hate doing metal work plus I am a terrible welder. Should have paid him to do it from the get-go.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.