Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new guy with a few ?'s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poordreamer
I've spent the last week searching and reading through the forum and I can not find any information on why chevy transmissions arent used when ppl do v8 sbc swaps.

Would using a sheridan body along with the normal weight stripping make the car light enough to do a tiger racer-type motorcycle drive train conversion. I have this thing about sequential shifters driving.gif and electronic shifting. I'm doubtful of this possibility, but its something that Im dying to try.

Anyway nice forum..

mike
rick 918-S
Welcome, Post a picture of your car. If you used a chevy tranny where would you connect the half shafts?
poordreamer
IM a poor dreamer without a car. sad.gif
Gint
Because you'd have to attach a driveshaft and differential to the end of the transmission. By the time you did that, the diff would be hanging all the way out the back of the car body.

Welcome to 914club. Show us some pics.

Just saw your last reply. Forget the pics comment. wink.gif
ClayPerrine
There is a way to mix and match parts from a standard Saginaw 4 speed and a Corvair 4 speed to get a mid engined transmission. But then you still have to come up with as shift linkage, a way to mount it, and a way to hook the halfshafts to the rear suspension. What you end up with is a 4 speed 914 with less available gears to choose from when matching the gearing to the chassis. I will give you this, it would be unique, but not easy to do. Much easier to buy an adapter plate and attach the Small Block to the 901 or 915 tranny.

ArtechnikA
"just" get a sequential-shift trans/diff from one of the Daytona Prototype cars.
if you weren't poor before, you would be after ...
TimT
The sequential tranny for the GT3RSR is 35K plus ohmy.gif

and they want you to replace the R&P every 18 hours ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (TimT @ Mar 5 2005, 10:31 AM)
The sequential tranny for the GT3RSR is 35K plus
and they want you to replace the R&P every 18 hours

yeah - but that's a taildragger and the DP's are already set up for mid-engine use. and rather more HP.

i don't recall any of the teams doing transaxle swaps at the Daytona or LeMans 24 Hrs races, so it must be possible to extend that service interval "under certain circumstances..."

24 Hrs of Daytona service oughtta get a street car through at least a few years, wouldn't you think?
TimT
18 hours is the recommended interval..I guess the ultra-megabuck teams follow that interval,. On our car we want the dif to last a few seasons
poordreamer
i was just lookin' at tiger racings website, the car that uses the single GSZR-1000 engine weighs 1012.25 pounds. So with a lil sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif this is possible. There's a guy on here with a 1300lb semi-tubular frame car. Doesnt seem like abad way to throw away some money.
ArtechnikA
first you were talking about SBC V8's - and now you're talking about motorcycle-engines AX cars ?

decide what you want, and pick a topic.

the modified classes in SCCA autocross are typically very competitive (i.e. - bring money ir you want to win..)
poordreamer
i was talkin' 'bout both. I'm more interested in enjoyin' the ca', than bein' competitive in AX.
These were the two things i had questions about.
Rusty
Welcome, Dreamer!

Lots of us around here have dreams! smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
poordreamer
thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.