Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: These cars move SO quickly!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I've had my eye on several 914s, but apparantly I don't move quick enough.

Check these cars out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2418788697 Didn't even last a DAY! I wanted a little bit more info, then I was goign to buy it not. sad.gif $6k. great deal

http://www.uvm.edu/~jcollin1/914forsale/My...914ForSale.html I was on the phone with the guy for over an hour. He was supposed to be going on vacation for the weekend, but some guy made him an offer without seeing the car from Maryland. Keep in mind the car is in VT..... gone! $6,000 for that car. Dammit!

SOOO.... my max is $6k, if anyone is selling a 914 2.0 or greater in good condition definetely let me know FIRST. :cursor: A car that is setup for autox would be great. I guess people buy cars these days without thinking. The guy who bought the latter car didn't really know much about it, I would have definetely been a better owner and the guy knew it.

Anyway, i'm done complaining. Later cool.gif
Bleyseng
I think a 914 running 105's on the street is not the greatest. They don't last all that long unless they are the nikasil ones.

The one in VT for $6k looked nice.

Geoff
yarin
I was commited to getting the one in VT, but I wanted more info on the engine. From what I understood its a 2.5L with chevy v8 pistons, some machined cylinders(which deals with heat dissipation better since the walls are thicker), low compression, build to last. Great deal for $6k!! These deals don't come along very often.

Turns out the guy who bought the car off ebay wants to use it for street. According to the seller its damn stiff! Argh!
914werke
True! Too bad. wink.gif
The White interior was trippin!
Bleyseng
It doesn't sound that stiff with the 140 rear springs. It doesn't say what the tbars are or the shocks.
New inner and outer longs scares me big time.
New pans also means it was rusty.
Geoff
yarin
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 9 2003, 06:48 PM)
It doesn't sound that stiff with the 140 rear springs. It doesn't say what the tbars are or the shocks.
New inner and outer longs scares me big time.
New pans also means it was rusty.
Geoff

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Sway bars won't make the ride very stiff. His alignment was nuts though...

"-1.5 degree front camber, -.5degree rear camber, 1 degree toe out in front, .5 degree toe out in back. Thus the car is twitchy on crowned road surfaces but corners like a go-kart. Unlike most "street" 914s this car is sprung VERY STIFF. If you are going to use it for a daily driver you would need to soften the sway bar settings and change tires or get a kidney belt and a chiropractor."

Thats a lot of toe!

Guy used it just for autox for 4 years, in his words:

"Remember: sprung STIFF
VERY LOUD
Bump Steers on the street
Fun, Fast, Looks great.
Every day is the Lemans 24 hour"

Yeah new longs and stuff definetely mean rust, but at least it was taken care of.
Bleyseng
Most people will agree that rust is never taken care. It can be repaired but once a car has rust it usually attacks the car in a bunch of places some you can't see. Battery trays are one thing, repairing longs is a whole different ballgame.
That why we all stress" Get a rust free car from Calif or AZ" There will be no hidden spots later on.
Look at how long Jeroen is taking to repair his car right, I have forgotten how long Rusty took, maybe 2 years. hehe thats how he got his name!
Geoff
brant
Not to rip on the owner, but there are some big inconsistencies on that first car.

I would bet money that its not a 915 tranny. Who puts 5-7 grand into converting a tranny on a 5,000 car.

Also those are 4 bolt wheels... not the magnesium 5 bolts that the factory made. Not a very well informed seller, makes me wonder what else he has gotten mixed up or wrong.

brant
yarin
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 10 2003, 06:47 AM)
Not to rip on the owner, but there are some big inconsistencies on that first car.

I would bet money that its not a 915 tranny. Who puts 5-7 grand into converting a tranny on a 5,000 car.

Also those are 4 bolt wheels... not the magnesium 5 bolts that the factory made. Not a very well informed seller, makes me wonder what else he has gotten mixed up or wrong.

brant

Not sure about the 915, maybe he had big plans for the car and wanted to take the other steps before engine. I asked him a bunch of questions about the tranny, but by then it was sold. pinch.gif

Thanks for the input on the wheels, I didn't know that. I learn something new every day on here.

Ahh the search continues.
brant
Yarin,

I just wanted to spew my opinion. You are totally on the right track..

In your price range you will find a great car.
just keep looking.
brant
yarin
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 10 2003, 07:06 AM)
Yarin,

I just wanted to spew my opinion. You are totally on the right track..

In your price range you will find a great car.
just keep looking.
brant

Thanks Brant!

I check out the following sites everyday: 914club classifieds, ebay, rennlist classifieds, pelican classifieds, collectorcartraderonline.

Am I missing anything worthwhile?

Thanks --Yarin
Lawrence
Yep, you can find a nice 914 for 6k. Be patient. Post wanted ads at the usual places. Carry cash. Keep touch with Zois and Roberts.

Heck, I bought my 914/6 for 6k. Of course, it came in lots of boxes. lol3.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.