Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Idle with Triad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gfg3
I just replaced an old Bursch exhaust system with a new Triad exhaust on my 1.8 L-jet with 2.0 stainless heat exchangers. System works/sounds fine, but idle increased up to about 1600 rpm after the install. No other mods. I can easily crank down the idle but could there be something else at play here? I haven't fiddled with timing, etc. yet.

Thanks.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(gfg3 @ Sep 16 2015, 12:38 PM) *

I just replaced an old Bursch exhaust system with a new Triad exhaust on my 1.8 L-jet with 2.0 stainless heat exchangers. System works/sounds fine, but idle increased up to about 1600 rpm after the install. No other mods. I can easily crank down the idle but could there be something else at play here? I haven't fiddled with timing, etc. yet.

Thanks.

Your old Beersh's muffler may have been clogged up causing you to raise the idle?
confused24.gif
gfg3
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 16 2015, 04:13 PM) *

Your old Beersh's muffler may have been clogged up causing you to raise the idle?
confused24.gif

That's what I was thinking, but just wondering if there are other gremlins lurking about.

Bruce Hinds
If the old muffler was that clogged up, i'll be you'll notice a big difference on the road . . . piratenanner.gif
steuspeed
More free flow. I could believe that increased your idle. Just adjust it down.
gfg3
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Sep 16 2015, 05:38 PM) *

More free flow. I could believe that increased your idle. Just adjust it down.

Done! That was easy..... piratenanner.gif
ndfrigi
Can you shoot a video with the sound of the triad on your 1.8 engine? I've been wanting to order triad also for my 1.8 F.I. Thanks!
screenguy914
Must have been a baked potato in a pipe to affect idle that much. The most expensive exh system wouldn't have this affect at idle. Suggest checking the mech. advance mechanism in the distributor.

Sherwood
boxsterfan
For anybody on the fence about getting a Triad....get a Triad!!!! I love the sound.
gfg3
QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Sep 16 2015, 06:21 PM) *

Must have been a baked potato in a pipe to affect idle that much. The most expensive exh system wouldn't have this affect at idle. Suggest checking the mech. advance mechanism in the distributor.

Sherwood

Good point. I'll try to check advance today.

George
gfg3
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 16 2015, 06:15 PM) *

Can you shoot a video with the sound of the triad on your 1.8 engine? I've been wanting to order triad also for my 1.8 F.I. Thanks!

I'll be happy to do that if I can get my phone to actually do videos. There have been several videos posted here with sound of the Triad. Not sure if any were on a 1.8 though. Doing a search on Triad should get you something for your listening pleasure....until I sort out my phone issues.

The Triad is definitely louder than my old Bursch....I mean we're talking two 2 1/2" pipes vs one 2" pipe....and a lot better flow. More to come.

George
r_towle
I am going to suggest that you may have hit and knocked off a vacuum line, possibly one of the smaller ones for the DeCel valve or the distributor advance.

No real reason I to jump up that high.
TheCabinetmaker
Why would a muffler sound different on a 2.0 or 1.8?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.