Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Vindications
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cuda911
Having owned, driven, and raced newer Porsches, I received quite a bit of flak when I got my 914 itch.

Yet, I feel vindicated at virtually every event.

In our local San Diego PCA region, the "Top Time of Day" autocross trophy goes, over and over, to Steve Grosskemper in his 914. That's against GT3's, Ferrari's, Lotuses, everything.

At the Porsche Parade, again the 914's dominate over and over (Mr. Dave Darling, awesome).

At the local concourse events, 914s routinely win trophies (Hooray Andy!)

The mechanic who maintains my cars, Mike Mulligan of MRD Racing, is Chief National Scrutineer of PCA racing. He races 914s and a 914 is his daily driver.

The 914 was the honored car at Amelia Island concours, one of the world's most prestigious concours events.

My parts supplier, Tom Gould of TC's Garage, is a long-term 914 owner, driver, and aficionado.

Margie, a local PCA member and former Porsche factory race driver, drives a 914.

Nearly every time I drive one one my 914s for more than two miles, I get kudos from random people.

From an aesthetic standpoint, the 914 can't be beat.

So, for all the times that 914s have been maligned, I feel vindicated over and over for my love and appreciation of 914s. They are simultaneously one of the most amazing cars ever designed, built, and functioned.

Others, including Janis Joplin, can keep their 356's. Other than the dollar value of a 356, I'll take a 914 any day, on all fronts.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
porschetub
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 17 2015, 06:54 PM) *

Having owned, driven, and raced newer Porsches, I received quite a bit of flak when I got my 914 itch.

In our local San Diego PCA region, the "Top Time of Day" autocross trophy goes, over and over, to Steve Grosskemper in his 914. That's against GT3's, Ferrari's, Lotuses, everything.

At the Porsche Parade, again the 914's dominate over and over (Mr. Dave Darling, awesome).

The mechanic who maintains my cars, Mike Mulligan of MRD Racing, is Chief National Scrutineer of PCA racing. He races 914s and a 914 is his daily driver.

The 914 was the honored car at Amelia Island concours, one of the world's most prestigious concours events.

Funny just emailed a fellow 914 owner in my country with similar idea's,thanks for putting up...really.

My parts supplier, Tom Gould of TC's Garage, is a long-term 914 owner, driver, and aficionado.

Margie, a local PCA member and former Porsche factory race driver, drives a 914.

Nearly every time I drive one one my 914s for more than two miles, I get kudos from random people.

So, for all the times that 914s have been maligned, I feel vindicated over and over for my love and appreciation of 914s. They are simultaneously one of the most amazing cars ever designed, built, and functioned.

Others, including Janis Joplin, can keep their 356's. Other than the dollar value of a 356, I'll take a 914 any day, on all fronts.

Porschef
Amen to that. Tuesday, on the way home at a traffic light, had an older gentleman in a newish Boxster tell me the 914 was the best handling car he ever drove.

That was after getting a big thumbs up from some dude in a new 911 Turbo...

Yet I'm sure there are lots of P car drivers that have no clue what these are confused24.gif
914Sixer
Seems a lot of people are taking notice. Maybe be Porsche will get the hint and start building a updated version of the 914. On the back side we are now having to deal with the speculators.
mepstein
Getting harder to find deals sad.gif
johannes
You better own one now ...
stugray
The fastest car in small bore in our vintage racing group is a 914.
Driven by Jason Cobb.
EdwardBlume
Someday people will forget the beating these cars took from PCA and people in general. Think 924.
Rav914

914 love! I get it. for the last 30+ years I was an early 911 guy. I owned some really nice examples and had fun. But the 914 is the most fun Porsche I have ever owned. I drove a stock '58 Speedster once. This 914 reminds me of it but it's better.

It may be nice to know your little car is getting higher in value, but I think the speculation has ruined the early 911 world for a majority of people. It chases out the real people, like you, and replaces them with the "I want one too" crowd, now that they're worth money. Or the types who want to measure their dick in public (metaphorically) and use a Porsche to do it. I really don't want that to happen here.
billh1963
I think there are a lot of us in that camp. I came over from the 911 world in 2011 after having owned a 993 C4S, then a 996 40th Anniversary car and then a 997. At every move the cars became less engaging from an emotional point of view. When I bought my first 914 and found out how much fun they were I sold the 997 and bought several 914's!

Maybe it's age, but, I find that I really enjoy cars from '80's and earlier. They are much more interesting to me visually and more satisfying to drive. They won't be as reliable or get better gas mileage. However, when I look under the hood I at least can see the engine! dry.gif
MJHanna
I like a lot of different Porsches, but the 914 is like a damn rabbit we are now up to 3. blink.gif
Maltese Falcon
Speaking of notable recent high dollar 914 sales, I sure hope that this guy does not take a liking to our brand:
"All of your 914 are belonging to me"!Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(johannes @ Sep 17 2015, 08:22 AM) *

You better own one now ...

Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 17 2015, 04:55 AM) *

Seems a lot of people are taking notice. Maybe be Porsche will get the hint and start building a updated version of the 914. On the back side we are now having to deal with the speculators.

agree.gif piratenanner.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif smilie_pokal.gif

No longer the awkward step sister at all of our PCA OCR & Zone 8 events up here too Mike!

Doc Pryor who was head judge at your SDR Concours has a -6 in storage, that all of the 914 "action" this year has him thinking seriously about getting his out & about again!

It seems that half of our older members "had one back in the ...." whenever I talk to them.

That's why they were so interested & enthused when you all brought out your 914s to our Zone 8 Concours events this year at my urging - whether entered cars, display cars, or just parked to come drool at the 918s & other cool P-cars! drooley.gif

They were looking at & reminiscing at YOUR NARPy 914s at the same time! wub.gif

Safe travels & have a great time in Vegas this weekend, Mike & Sara!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cuda911

Maybe be Porsche will get the hint and start building a updated version of the 914.

They did. They call it the Boxster.
eric9144
There's also a 'real GT' in Zone 8 as well, if the locally famous SD PCA'er still owns it, which I'm pretty sure he does first.gif

The 918's cockpit view looks remarkably similar to the 914's, I'm just sayin poke.gif stirthepot.gif
somd914
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 17 2015, 03:00 PM) *

Maybe be Porsche will get the hint and start building a updated version of the 914.

agree.gif

But think, a decent forty year-old 914 is selling for more than a many ten year-old Boxsters... idea.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 17 2015, 12:00 PM) *

1000 lbs heavier, heated seats, air bags, air conditioning. dry.gif Actually, that sounds pretty good don't it? laugh.gif If you're an old bastid. av-943.gif
wndsnd
There is a local show and I attended with two very special friends with their very special Corvettes.

One is an LT1 with an overhead aluminum engine designed by Lotus, and the other is a late model monster Z06.

The 1.7 got more interest than the others. Brought a smile to my face. laugh.gif

Larmo63
The 914 is just a fun car. They are a blast to drive, and our weekend fun drives have been a hoot. We received quite a bit of attention at the Cars & Coffee event three weeks ago in Aliso Viejo. All of my son's friends are looking for them now.

All of a sudden, I'm cool.
smj
QUOTE(somd914 @ Sep 17 2015, 02:12 PM) *

But think, a decent forty year-old 914 is selling for more than a many ten year-old Boxsters...

Well of course, they have to. Then they become the cheap entry point when 914s are too damned expensive. And in another 10-15 years they'll start to climb as the then-current hydrogen-electric Squeakster becomes passée and cheap...
somd914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 17 2015, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 17 2015, 12:00 PM) *

1000 lbs heavier, heated seats, air bags, air conditioning. dry.gif Actually, that sounds pretty good don't it? laugh.gif If you're an old bastid. av-943.gif

I wouldn't count on anything lighter or simpler coming from Stuttgart. At Amelia Island this year we had the opportunity to attend the gala dinner. Incredibly we were seated with Pete Stout and 3 Porsche execs including two from marketing. We brought up the topic of a desire for a simple, light weight 914-type car. We were told there are no plans for such because it just can't be done in today's world of countless safety features and a market that wants bells and whistles. I potentially agree with the market analysis, but saying it can't be done? Hmmm, guess they never heard of a Miata...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 17 2015, 03:44 PM) *

Three out of four of those things sound great. About the first one, though…

I've been a fan of the 914 since I was a wee lad. All the Porsches I've driven since then haven't changed my mind—and may have only reinforced my respect for the design and execution of the nine one four.

pete
914werke
Funny. Yesterday I came home and realized I had to run out & grab some Milk.
It was nice enough so out rolls the LE and off to the local market.
As I was leaving the Albertson's near my home I notice two guys in the far empty parking spaces standing next to their shiny 997 and Cayman talking.
I fire the mighty teen and arc past the two as I leave ...
The look of surprise and appreciation on their faces as they looked and waved made my night.
oldschool
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 16 2015, 11:54 PM) *

Ok now change your avatar lol-2.gif
Big Len
Funny thing for me is the WRX and GTI guys seem to pay a great deal of respect for our cars. I'm guessing that they don't know what the hell it is as they're too young. They see the Porsche lettering and think it's some kind of special edition model.
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 17 2015, 07:33 PM) *

There is a local show and I attended with two very special friends with their very special Corvettes.

One is an LT1 with an overhead aluminum engine designed by Lotus, and the other is a late model monster Z06.

The 1.7 got more interest than the others. Brought a smile to my face. laugh.gif

Special friends?
r_towle
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 17 2015, 02:54 AM) *

If that is how your feel, change your Avatar.
ClayPerrine
My vindication came when I was driving it home from work one day. I was on 635 in North Dallas. It was a cool day, so being stuck in traffic was not too bad. As the traffic would accelerate, then slow down to a stop again, I noticed this new 996 (this was a few years ago) to my left with the passenger window down. He kept pacing me every time I accelerated. At one point, he yelled at me asking me if my car had MFI. I told him yes. He said he had both a 914 and an MFI 911 in the past. He loved the sound of the MFI, and he really loved driving the 914. He said that my car was what he always dreamed of, a small bore 911 MFI engine in a 914 chassis. He also said he missed his 914. The new 996 was "Just not the same".

After almost 30 years of 914 ownership, we have realized that we were 914 owners before owning a 914 was cool.

wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 18 2015, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 17 2015, 07:33 PM) *

Special friends?

Dirty old Fuch. splat.gif
Alphaogre
I think this is the point someone should post the thread with the article how the 914 was retarded back to protect the 911 back in the day, and the same thing is happening with the cayman now.... biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
TTOD on fresh RA-1s 225mm and a d-jet 2.0 smile.gif
wes
While bringing my car back from her new paint job on the tralier driving down hwy 101 notice a newer 911 turbo coming up quickly in my rear view mirror and as he came along side me slowed down, honked his horn and gave me a big thumbs up and smile hit the gas and was on his way. The thought hit me that I've always enjoyed driving my little 914 and now she's getting the respect she has always deserved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.