Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Dilemma - Need Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Pulled highly suspected bad alternator. After opening it up and comparing to my replacement I see a difference. Please look at the attached pics. What is the small black rectangular module in the center of the new unit? I have it marked with a question mark. Is that a built in voltage regulator? If so, how do I hook this unit up to the car now or do I remove it? Totally confused and want to get back on the road. Car is a '74 2.0L with carbs.

Thanks in advance. Any help appreciated.

Ansbacher

Click to view attachment
stugray
Based on the pics alone, I would say that the module is just a capacitor that is meant to keep the noise down.
If you go to remove it, it is probably just grounded to the end of that shaft housing.
If it actually goes through to a wire then it is probably something else.
Ansbacher
Stugray,

That module is just screwed to the endplate. The only wire is the black one visible, going to one of the B+ terminals. Think I should just leave it on?

Ansbacher

QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 17 2015, 06:59 PM) *

Based on the pics alone, I would say that the module is just a capacitor that is meant to keep the noise down.
If you go to remove it, it is probably just grounded to the end of that shaft housing.
If it actually goes through to a wire then it is probably something else.

catsltd
Leave it alone.
I just got my new rebuilt and it has it also.
So does my old 74-alternator.

Make sure the red positive wire going to the alternator has a rubber boot over it.

And make sure the 3 prong plug fits tight on the alternator,or you will have lots of charging problems.
Ansbacher
Thanks catsitd. So it is definitely a noise suppression capacitor; I will leave it alone. Thanks for the wiring advice. I am going to pop off the cover again to make sure that plug is tight before install. Yes, there is a boot on the red lead, but I will double check its integrity also.

Thanx all for the quick help. Will be up early in the a.m. to reinstall this beast.

Ansbacher

QUOTE(catsltd @ Sep 17 2015, 08:23 PM) *

Leave it alone.
I just got my new rebuilt and it has it also.
So does my old 74-alternator.

Make sure the red positive wire going to the alternator has a rubber boot over it.

And make sure the 3 prong plug fits tight on the alternator,or you will have lots of charging problems.

Bleyseng
Make sure you cut off the excess threads on the Positive battery connection or it will short out on the cover.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.