Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tailshift linkage cover plate leaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
My tailshift linkage cover plate is leaking a lot on my '70 /6. It appears warped and I'm guessing no replacement part is available. Chances are used plates are warped as well? Am I forced to fab a new one to guarantee a leak free tranny?
theleschyouknow
I'd drop dr evil a pm before fabbing one up (not that I have those skills or tools) he may have what you need, at the very least he'll know more about it than most
johnhora
are you sure it's the plate...may be speedo unit just above it leaking
Mikey914
Speedo, is the most likely. Let me McMark has some improved double seal drive shaft bushings as well as myself.
rick 918-S
Take a phot Ben.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
vintage914racer
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 17 2015, 06:19 PM) *

Speedo, is the most likely. Let me McMark has some improved double seal drive shaft bushings as well as myself.

I think it's probably leaking from the speedo drive and shift plate.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

When I drained and flushed the fluid it appeared to be leaking from the plate after sitting I wrnight and before I even started to drive it. I'm not sure how high the fluid goes in the case- does it sit above the speedo output shaft when static?

The yellow sealant in the shot was a temporary test to see if he plate still leaked after the first instance of leaking. After draining cleaning and refilling with fluid it still appeared to leak. The sealant wasn't intended for long term use.
rick 918-S
I would get a new output housing from 914-rubber or McMark that has been machined with a second groove. I put one on Sandys car. Fixed the leak. I also installed a new angle drive. I had the end cap pop off exposing the cable gear. The gear backed out and disengaged the cable. couldn't figure out why the speedo quit.. idea.gif
Dr Evil
Looks above the plate. Agree with Rick.

If you end up needing a plate, I can hook you up. I also have free seals.
vintage914racer
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 19 2015, 07:05 PM) *

Looks above the plate. Agree with Rick.

If you end up needing a plate, I can hook you up. I also have free seals.

Thanks doc. I have a new output housing on the way.
Dr Evil
Cool, I hope we are all correct in believing that is the issue. When you take the old one out, feel around in the bore for galling, burs, nicks and such.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.