Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid question time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Is there an idle adjustment screw on the stock 2.0 liter FI system? If so, where is it located? Its a 74 2 liter with factory FI. The idle is way too high and I need to set it down a little. Anyone??
Engman
Backside of the TB - hard to see.

M
mattillac
take off the air cleaner and you'll see a knurled screw with a spring on it on the side of the throttle body. also on the ECU theres and idle mixture knob
Aaron Cox
see scott....you dont know everything laugh.gif

BTW- valves are quiet
skline
I am more of a carbs guy, this FI crap is a little new to me. I found the screw when I pulled off the aircleaner. It didnt have enough adjustment to bring it down much. I will try the knob on the FI computer
davep
If you can't bring down the idle enough with the adjustment screw, then you have an air leak somewhere that needs to be fixed pronto. The idle adjustment on the computer should not be used for this purpose.
skline
Hmmm, so its a good thing I didnt just jump back on there and try adjusting it from there. I will look around and see what I can find. I notice if I put my hand over the Throttle body and cover the hole it really sucks my hand down and the idle drops to normal. Is this how it should be???
David_S
If I am thinking right .....the engine should die when you cover the throttle body because you have cut off the air intake into the engine. If the idle is normal and the engine keeps running with the throttle body covered .....then you are letting air in from another source, such as a vacuum leak. I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, that is how it should be .....
Engman
Pull the tube from the air cleaner to the Aux Air Reg. These are notorious for sticking and being bad. Cover the hole. See if your idle drops.

M
mattillac
sounds like you have one or more significant vacuum leaks. replace:

intake gaskets
all vacuum tubes
TB gasket
runner to plenum tube things
injector seals
the rubber thing that connects the air box to the TB

that will make your life easier. then make sure you set the timing and dwell and the adjust valves and car is nice and warm before you bother setting your idle speed.
then when your car runs shitty, you can start blaming sensors and stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.