Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sawzall Surgeons Speak Up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
balljoint
So, I will be chopping up a teener in the near future for parts etc. and to open up my parking space for another teener. What lines should I follow while demolishing this poor beast in order to save the usefull pieces? Obviously the unboltable gets unbolted, but in terms of the sectioning of the carcass, how should a butcher proceed? Where should I cut? Where shouldn't I cut?

mattillac
what parts are you cuttin out?
SLITS
Not being a Porsche engineer, how does one unbolt the unboltable?
Gint
When I want to salvage the good parts os a tub, I try to keep the cuts in the bad parts and leave the pieces as big as I can. I left the last one that I kept in front and back halves until I knew what I was going to need. I did cut out the front trunk floor as big as I could so anyone that needed it could drill out the spot welds if necessary and use the piece. I eventually cut the back half into essentially quarters. One of which was used on my /6 resto. The front half later had a fender removed, but is otherwise still intact, so the winshield frame and side door jam sections are still usefull.

It's not an exact science...
william harris
Well, we gotta be careful are we will be accused of running a "chop shop." screwy.gif
Joe Bob
Be prepared to sit on the pieces awhile....they never sell when ya have them.....you toss a piece and that's the one someone wants....

I STILL have a piece that Ginter wanted three years ago.... blink.gif

Gonna toss it in his coffin if'n I live that long....
balljoint
QUOTE (mattillac @ Mar 5 2005, 01:37 PM)
what parts are you cuttin out?

The car is stripped already. The frame is not repairable so I am going to "alter" the car's structure in order to store it on pallets up on racks at my shop.
balljoint
QUOTE (SLITS @ Mar 5 2005, 01:40 PM)
Not being a Porsche engineer, how does one unbolt the unboltable?

Ah, yes, well...

I guess I will be unbolting the bolted, denutting the nutted...

dry.gif
balljoint
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 5 2005, 04:34 PM)
Be prepared to sit on the pieces awhile....they never sell when ya have them

Sell my parts? no no no no I have lot's of storage space I just want to chop... this car... up in my shop...and have pieces that will be easier to re-use without having to drill out every spot weld on the car. To date I have only discarded the holes in the car, everything else I am going to sit on for a while.

Thanks Gint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.