Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side shifter conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikey13
I have a 72 1.7L motor and i'll be bolting a 73 sideshifter tranny to it and i need some help with the front motor mounts i have the engine bar and the end mounts but i'm missing the small rubber pucks and the 'L' type brackets that bolt onto the motor if and i cannot seem to locate any of the small L brackets locally so i was wondering if somebody could post some pictures for me and maybe some dimensions of the part so i can fabricate my own or if theres any tricks or such to make this process easier

thank you
-Mike
SLITS
Someone will have a right and left (yes, right and left late motor mount). I don't think I have any left to image.

The rubber donuts that mount the engine to the bar...buy them new...sorry, but they break to easily to rely on used ones.

Maybe tomorrow I can get to my shop and shoot an image of the mounts and dimension them for you to "fabricate" your own.

Put a "wanted/needed" post in the classifieds.
mikey13
i plan on ordering new motor mount rubbers, no sense in using old ones. The ones i have are shredded anyways so those are easy to get. so the 2 brackets that connect the rubber mounts to the block arn't interchangeable?
Triaddave
mike, i just found the r/l brackets you need. for what it is worth, the rubber even seems to be in good shape. i can ship as is, or run them through the bead blaster and paint. e-mail me and we'll figure out how to get them to you.
SLITS
See, if you believe, it will happen smilie_pokal.gif
Rhodes71/914
I did this conversion recently and used the L brackets that were already on the engine and it seems to work fine.

What kind of issues am I going to have down the road?
jr91472
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Mar 5 2005, 01:52 PM)
I did this conversion recently and used the L brackets that were already on the engine and it seems to work fine.

What kind of issues am I going to have down the road?

when I did my conversion, the early center backet was a single piece (no l/r) just one big bracket.

is this what you are referring to?

JR
Rhodes71/914
Oops! as soon as I saw another reply to this post i realized my mistake before I even read it.

Yeah I did a conversion, but I also used a different engine that is a '75 and it obviously had the the correct mounts. I'm sure the 1.7 sitting on the garage floor has the older style mount. slap.gif
tat2dphreak
Jwesteng.com has sweet metal and alternative composite ones... you should consider them...
Joe Bob
Been awhile since I have done 4 bangers...but don't early 911 sport mounts work when ya oval out the holes?
SirAndy
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 5 2005, 06:22 PM)
Been awhile since I have done 4 bangers...but don't early 911 sport mounts work when ya oval out the holes?

nope, you're talking about the wrong mounts ...

he needs the mounts and brackets that go between the engine and the crossbar, not the mounts for the old crossbar to the chassis ...

911 sport mounts work very well as transmission mounts, btw. ...
wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.