Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saratoga tops- paging mickey914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Menmojo
Paging Mickey914
I read on old post on rennlist that you were in the process of re manufacturing Saratoga tops for 914's.
If this is true I really want to buy one!
Please give us an update if you are still plan on making these.
porschetub
QUOTE(Menmojo @ Sep 19 2015, 01:35 PM) *

Paging Mickey914
I read on old post on rennlist that you were in the process of re manufacturing Saratoga tops for 914's.
If this is true I really want to buy one!
Please give us an update if you are still plan on making these.

Didn't he just do a ''one off'', hope not, they would be a good seller ,could be pricey though.
wes
I've got one of the 914rubber Saratoga tops that I bought from Jim, I believe Mark was making them for a while, and there was some talk of doing them again though haven't heard anything of late. I had one of the original Saratoga tops and the one Mark made is much better!
Menmojo
QUOTE(wes @ Sep 18 2015, 06:19 PM) *

I've got one of the 914rubber Saratoga tops that I bought from Jim, I believe Mark was making them for a while, and there was some talk of doing them again though haven't heard anything of late. I had one of the original Saratoga tops and the one Mark made is much better!

I need to new top for my 914 project. The one I have has a corner cracked off.
My thought was this might be a better option than refinishing another regular top?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Menmojo @ Sep 18 2015, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(wes @ Sep 18 2015, 06:19 PM) *

I need to new top for my 914 project. The one I have has a corner cracked off.
My thought was this might be a better option than refinishing another regular top?

You most likely will find them at 914rubber.com His tops are called WAS tops. I think it stands for Way Ass Superior or something completely different... biggrin.gif
ben*james
Wait, what? A part to buy that doesn't require tools? I'm in. How bout it Mark?
Mikey914
Yes,
We have been retooling to make these in a more production environment. We actually plan to re launch these after the dashes are complete. So your timing is good.
Look for a thread in about 4 weeks. I still have some others that wanted these so this has been an ongoing project. They will be a step up in quality too.
griffindoug
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 19 2015, 07:57 AM) *

Yes,
We have been retooling to make these in a more production environment. We actually plan to re launch these after the dashes are complete. So your timing is good.
Look for a thread in about 4 weeks. I still have some others that wanted these so this has been an ongoing project. They will be a step up in quality too.

Is there a photograph for what these look like?
Mikey914
Not the new ones, as the design will be changed slightly but pretty much like this (only not blue).
Mikey914
The gray is the early design on the old one, the blue is one of the last I made for my car.
RRietman
I have an original top with a fixed sunroof installed, if anyone is interested. FREE come and get it in Bellingham Wa.
Randy
Mike Bellis
I like the blue one!
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 20 2015, 12:49 PM) *

The gray is the early design on the old one, the blue is one of the last I made for my car.

Hi did you get my email re:shipping my order? by the way these are very nice.
Mikey914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 20 2015, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 20 2015, 12:49 PM) *

Hi did you get my email re:shipping my order? by the way these are very nice.

PM me the time you sent it and I'll look it up. If I didn't respond within a day I'd say I didn't see it. PM me or email as high priority I'll get back to you today.
Mark
Menmojo
Any updates from Mickey914?
Are you still planning on building and selling these?
Let me know......I'm a buyer. bye1.gif
Starlack
I would like to have one too
GeorgeRud
I have an original Saratoga top for my 911 Targa, and they really are nice if you like the open feel (even on days that don't allow top down motoring). These should be possible, but I would recommend trying to incorporate a third brake light into the design if possible as the added visibility is an excellent safety feature for a 914 because of the preponderance of SUVs and brain dead drivers.
Mikey914
We could incorporate the 3rd brake light pretty easily, the wiring becomes the issue. It needs to go into the car so additional wiring and routing is necessary on the owners end. I may play around with this on this next run.

We have invested into making a better product and have a short waiting list right now. But I will contact anyone who wants one after I fill the ones owed.
budk
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 11 2016, 12:51 AM) *

We could incorporate the 3rd brake light pretty easily, the wiring becomes the issue. It needs to go into the car so additional wiring and routing is necessary on the owners end. I may play around with this on this next run.

We have invested into making a better product and have a short waiting list right now. But I will contact anyone who wants one after I fill the ones owed.

It seems like putting the 3rd light in/on the targa bar would easier and more useful. That would allow the removal of the roof while keeping the light. There have been many discussions about this in the past with various ways of doing it.

I suggest you look into making a LED 3rd brake light kit and sell it as a separate item.
Mikey914
Yes, it could be a stand alone pretty easy. We have looked at embedding in the unit also. I'll post more as we get a little further along, but there is a pretty slick idea we have if it works properly.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 19 2015, 09:22 PM) *

I like the blue one!

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
SKL1
Still have an original one I've had since the early '70's. It's ok, but never fit all that well and was pretty hot in the summer. The view through it was kind of neat but I've never really used it that much.
I'd rather just have the top off!
jfort
I usually keep my top off, too. But I'd be interested in a gray one.

I agree that the 3rd brake light should be offered, if at all, as a separate item. Mine is attached under the roll bar.
Steve
Mark aka Mikey
Are you still making these tops? I don't see them on your web site. I thought there was also an interest in just making a top replacement?
Mikey914
Yes we have re tooled to make them more consistent. We were laying these up by hand and the process was to labor intensive. We are about ready to put into production. These will be $950 full retail once we have the production up. We will offer a GB price to those that are interested here that will be less than the full retal, and there are a few on a waiting list from when we started the tooling that we will need to fill 1st. Yes we will be doing a run, but these are not currently a stocked item. More than likely we will do a run and have some stock and it may be awhile before we run more again.
Mark
Menmojo
Mikey....any updates on the Saratoga tops? Spring is right around the next turn!
Please make sure I'm on your list as a buyer when you start production again.
bye1.gif
Starlack
hello do you have updates on the Saratoga/WAS top?
Mikey914
Yes, was a bit busy this last week as we are finishing up the new rain trays. Had a chance to get a pull on the new mold and YES much better and uniform. I should have more for you later in the week as I do the day job til wed. Just need to post some progress, but we will be into production in about 2 weeks at most.

Mark
sb914
piratenanner.gif
eric9144
Interested too, kept putting it off on the 1st couple runs and want one!
popcorn[1].gif
chipbell
I sent an email via your website. Please put me on the waiting list as well. Thanks.
N_Jay
OK, another darn thing I am going to have to spend money on.

If their is an interest list add me.

Blue would be great, grey/smoked is second choice.

Did you say somewhere back in the thread about a dash? Any chance it is a 911 style?
Mikey914
Did a test pull with a piece of plastic with too much moisture in it, more of a proof of concept, it turned out out great (other the the bubbles)! So I have some fresh material coming in this next week.
Mark
Starlack
Hello
In the last few weeks I've been working on building the Saratoga roof myself. Here is the result.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
N_Jay
QUOTE(Starlack @ Oct 7 2016, 11:36 AM) *

Hello
In the last few weeks I've been working on building the Saratoga roof myself. Here is the result.

You are the man!

How many hours; how many dollars?
Mueller
QUOTE(Starlack @ Oct 7 2016, 09:36 AM) *

Hello

Nice job!
altitude411
That looks fantastic! piratenanner.gif Nice work.

* not meant to derail Marks thread*

Are you happy with the result? Anything you'd change on the next one?
Mikey914
Interesting. Did you gut a stock roof to make it? We pulled a few this last week, and have 8 fiberglass shells ready, just need to assemble. Haven't had the time due to the day job. Will start this next week.
M8
Ian Stott
Isn't there a difference between years for fit, mine doesn't fit snug, I have a small gap where the window doesn't quite meet the roof rubber. Bought new rubber from you a while ago, which was a bitch to install, lots of soap required! I probably have the wrong roof. Point is your Saratoga top might solve this issue for me.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Starlack
Hello everybody
Yes it is a converted original roof. There are one or two little things I would change. But not much. It is certainly not as good quality as the roof of the Mikey914 but it has become very good as I find and I like it. Especially since the effort has kept me limited. The main problem is to bring the acrylic glass into the right shape. If you know how is that no problem.
On the next roof, the little things will not be any more ...

I drove today for the first time and it is already a crazy feeling with it.
It is just as bright as without a roof without wind. Very strange but nice.

Lan Scott. Sorry iam not understand what is the Question from You
Ian Stott
QUOTE(Starlack @ Oct 8 2016, 09:23 AM) *

Hello everybody
Yes it is a converted original roof. There are one or two little things I would change. But not much. It is certainly not as good quality as the roof of the Mikey914 but it has become very good as I find and I like it. Especially since the effort has kept me limited. The main problem is to bring the acrylic glass into the right shape. If you know how is that no problem.

Is there a difference between years reference fit, for roofs?

Ian
mepstein
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Oct 8 2016, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Starlack @ Oct 8 2016, 09:23 AM) *

Hello everybody

Is there a difference between years reference fit, for roofs?

Ian

Yes, there is an early and a late roof. I'm pretty sure early goes through '72 and late from '73 on but I won't swear to it. The window fit will be different to the roof so it does matter.
Starlack
OK. now.
Yes there are differences. Somewhere someone has described the differences with photos. I think that was somewhere here in this forum.
GeorgeRud
I have an original Saratoga top for my 911 Targa, and the feel truly is great! I hope that these can be successfully recreated for our 914s, and incorporating a third brake light would be a great idea as it would shine at the perfect height for today's traffic.

The open air feel of the tops make them desirable when the weather isn't the best to have the top off. We took a fall driving tour in the Targa last year and even my wife enjoyed the scenery without the buffeting as these Porsche Club driving tours tend to become rather spirited!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.