Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Stacks914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Stacks914
Ok guys I am posting picks of building my car. I have about three days maybe 12 hours total on this Build of actual of the car. I am in a build off.... So here are pics of the car and what I have been doing. I am really just currently deconstructing. The build will have a corvette c6 front and C5 rear suspension and a tube chassis, and c5 z06 rims that are 17/18. The powertrain I have is a 5.3 out of an 04 silverado. the trans is a boxster S unit. I also have a 70mm turbo for the engine. I have purchased but am still waiting on the adapter. Will probably be extending the rear of the car at least 5-8 inches as I would like to use the stock accesorys. or I would like to keep the power streering pump at least and the alternator. I am a bigger guy and really cannot sacrifice any room inside. Plus I would like a nice stereo in there(and a hot woman). And that is about it. I am just a one man operation building this car out of his garage. I do not own a shop. I will be doing all of the work myself or as much as possible. I realize I am in a build off but really this is cheap entertainment for me. So please lets keep it entertaining. Currently in Omaha NE and no one knows what this car is. but they do think its cute and want one...lol. I have not seen one of these on the road in years. I have 2. This red one I bought with the intentions of flipping and making some quick money. After about 6 weeks of trying to sort out the engine my patience and money I had allocated for this car was done. So it became the focus of the build only becuase it was titled in Ne and would not have go through inspection. I realize I am in way over my head here wink.gif thats where i am comfortable. The welding on the car will be conducted by a local professional that works on nuclear reactors until I am comfortable I can do it but its really not that hard and I am getting better. While I am currently on 31 total hours of work time. I have about 6 months of research into the car putting together a broad stroke design and I do not have every aspect of this car figured out in my head. I deal with the details as they arise! this might seam maddning to some of you but please bare with me!

The details I have not figured out yet are! Yes I realize some of this stuff is a few hours google searching.

Wiring harness: I have spent alot of time rewiring some of the factory porsche unit! I would like to ditch and update the whole thing! Anyone know a good one I could buy that will run the lights, engine, radio, and maybe a hvac system one day. Or at least an updated fuse boxe and I will wire and soldier one together? Would like to stay in the $400 range
Boxster Trans: I really have a bare boxster trans I do not know what it takes to get it shifting entirely in my car, or how much it will cost?
Radiator with fans: I have not found one yet or looked too deaply into this. When I get closer to needing it which will be soon I will. I just need the radiator I am not buying a kit? I see these pop up for a vette on craigs sometimes. really like the Factory 5 gtm install of these thoughts opinions? Dollar figure?
Intercooler: I just haven't bought one and the tubing yet
ECU: the fianl tuning willl be done by a professinal shop with dyno
Fender Flares: I really like the plastic/riveted on look! Love liberty walk stuff!!
Rear axles: will need porsche to corvette hubs
methanol kit/80#injectors/bosche 044 fuel pump/tires/5 point belts/600hp rated clutch
probably will stuff at least 7 speakers into the car

The whole engine build is a few months away! though I might scrap the turbo system and build a destroked ls engine that revs as it would be more suited to the boxster trans either way 500whp should be attainable. I just love high revving engines but boost builds power cheap

My toying with a dream additions (probably not going to make it)
keyless push buttom start/power windows/locks
Vintage heat and A/C
Ring and pinion swap/lsd for trans

My budgete is about 2-300 a week on top of what I have bought!
Stacks914
Taking apart
Stacks914
Got my steal today! and then realized I got to take all this shit off before I even think about it. So air blower motor and entire havac assembly was taken out easily with a hammer. I keep thinking if I take apart two or three more of these 914's I might be able to put one back together....
Stacks914
Had two hours this morning...14 total.
Stacks914
Spent three more hours today of actual work. Three more fire up parts. Grinder failed ....New grinder lasted 15 minutes and caught fire.......lol ryobi garbage
Stacks914
So at 19 hours total of actual work I am at this point
Stacks914
Yea ssssuckaaa...Lol 23 hours total. sawzall-smiley.gif
JeffBowlsby
What the paint code of your car...in some of the photos it looks raspberry-like. Is it a special order color?
r_towle
You must be young....
rhodyguy
Any idea of the purpose of removing most of the trunk firewall and a good portion of the floor? Kinda strange.
Stacks914
The paint code is L31M looks like it was resprayed at one point so unsure if original color. And yes the front trunk was removed becuase it had ac. The rear I removed as it will be getting a c5 rear corvette suspension, ls engine with turbo, boxster trans, plus I need to find a place to put a intercooler for the turbo. It will be a custom frame and will remove as much of the stock frame as possible to save weight but just didn't want it in the way when removing the engine as it will be coming out anyway. I am debating on using 1-1/2 .120 or 1-3/4 .104 any thoughts opinions? both will be DOM? I need to make a decision by tomorrow night as I will be ordering the tube and the tube bender! I also need to mock up the stuff as I would like to keep the stock accessories for PS and the water pump so I might lengthen the car 8 inches and due to clearance issues. Plus it should not be too much of an issue as the fenders flares will be WIDE!
JeffBowlsby
L31M? Scarlet Red...that's painful.
quadracerx
If you ever want to race this car, I would recommend looking at the SCCA and NHRA rules.

NHRA requires .120 minimum wall thickness on all cage material that is mild steel. DOM tubing is fine as long as it is truly DOM and .120 thickness. IF your plan is to use "Seamed Tubing" like HREW then you better go with .134 wall because "seamed tubing" is not uniform when it is manufactured and can be thin in places. .134 HREW is the next thickness above .120 and using .134 will guarantee a .120 minimum.

SCCA requires .120 seamless tubing so DOM is fine.

You can avoid all problems if you go with Chrome Moly tubing. In .083 wall thickness. Both NHRA and SCCA accept that as a standard. HOWEVER you have to have a TIG Welder to weld Chrome Moly...

Making sure you use the right tubing will avoid headaches in the future for you and whoever my use the car in the future... (AKA Resale Value).

Just something to think about. The cage in my V8 car is 4130 Chrome Moly. Cause I don't want any headaches... LOL

Good Luck... Keep up the good progress...

Steve
Stacks914
Steve thank you for the input I never even thought of resale value or racing it. But when in Rome biggrin.gif I just wanted a nice corner carver for the road a pseudo race car of sorts...with rockets on ...wait never mind. I have never tig welded and want to build the cage myself...but I could do mild steal or look into tig welding. Thank you again I will do at least the 1-3/4 Dom.120 now!
Chris914n6
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 25 2015, 02:17 PM) *

You must be young....

and too excited to hold the camera steady biggrin.gif

PS. Don't rush decisions involving time or money.
quadracerx
I hope you double check the rules for both NHRA Drag Racing and SCCA Road Racing to insure you are in compliance.... Been a while since I checked...

Keep us posted...

Steve
Stacks914
Oh I am actually 37 the shakiness is from the third or fourth energy drink I have had that day smile.gif. I don't want some other competitor to say I was 'doping' If I win this contest. So I am actually naturally shaky. Anyways I found some problems today and got about seven more hours in. And one in last night. I got the rear brakes and dash out which have been sold. This is the first time since I pulled the engine that I got to see it in daylight. 31 hours total on the build of actual work time. Tape as been placed on the front end to give me an idea of where I want to cut or if I want to . My garage is dirty as shit so I need to clean up and make a rear subframe for engine trans suspension....
Stacks914
Will it fall in half?
Stacks914
Got a call today and c6 front already here
scotty b
I don't mean to be offensive or tell you what to do here, BUT you're undertaking a pretty critical change on a very rusty car that you did NO bracing to before cutting out a bunch of metal. Now..... IF..... you have a bench or frame jig of some sort you plan to mount the body to in order to complete the Vette swap, all is good, but IMHO you just f-ed the car by not doing anything to reinforce it prior to removing a lot of structural integrity.

IMHO you need to stop right now, find someone with a solid project car nearby and make a heavy duty table off of that car, then mount yours to keep everything in alignment

Mikey914
As long as you can verify the points as per the maintence manual it could be ok, but I'd start looking at it before going crazy. Easier to make corrections now than later. This is another good thing to document. There are measuring tools that you can acquire to check the measurements, basically a straight rod with to reference points that have a digital slide that tells the distance. Not sure what they are called, but if you can verify the measurements prior to doing the build it would be in your best interest.
Stacks914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 28 2015, 02:33 PM) *

I don't mean to be offensive or tell you what to do here, BUT you're undertaking a pretty critical change on a very rusty car that you did NO bracing to before cutting out a bunch of metal. Now..... IF..... you have a bench or frame jig of some sort you plan to mount the body to in order to complete the Vette swap, all is good, but IMHO you just f-ed the car by not doing anything to reinforce it prior to removing a lot of structural integrity.

IMHO you need to stop right now, find someone with a solid project car nearby and make a heavy duty table off of that car, then mount yours to keep everything in alignment

this makes my head hurt. you don't seem to have any idea of my plans or my actual skill set but just spout off your opinion . Telling me I f'd up a car when you don't know anything about it. Save the 2 cents man you have told me nothing as your assessment is incorrect. the only thing you have told me is you just jump conclusions and base your opinion on partial or false information. This build has no use for you. You in fact are wasting both our time here
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Sep 29 2015, 02:27 AM) *

this makes my head hurt. you don't seem to have any idea of my plans or my actual skill set but just spout off your opinion . Telling me I f'd up a car when you don't know anything about it. Save the 2 cents man you have told me nothing as your assessment is incorrect. the only thing you have told me is you just jump conclusions and base your opinion on partial or false information. This build has no use for you. You in fact are wasting both our time here

Not the way to make a lot of friends here. Scotty may not know YOUR car or project but he knows a lot about these cars in general.

Unless you are building a complete tube frame from scratch and just dropping a 914 shell on it, keeping the tub straight with bracing is critical. especially with all the welding you will be doing.

I will be cheering for you to get this finished in 1 year .....

scotty b
QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Sep 28 2015, 10:27 PM) *

I apologize. You are absolutely right, I should not have espoused my mis-informed opinion of your car or your work. I'll sit quietly on the sideline watching with bated breath. Best of luck on your build popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif confused24.gif
Stacks914
Scott I am sorry I am sure you are a valuable asset to the boardI should have not went off. it gets late I get cranky when assumptions are made. please accept my apologies and while I do appreciate your input I just did not like the way it was delivered. Anyway the car has a long kit that is already on. The car was amazingly square and still is. But I will be building a cage for the car as well.
trojanhorsepower
piratenanner.gif I applaud you both. It is so refreshing to see people acting like adults! aktion035.gif
Stacks914
Update Eric@kitcarchassis.com has been in contact and while my adapter has been delayed I am told it will be on its way!!
mbseto
QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Sep 29 2015, 04:02 PM) *

...I get cranky when assumptions are made.

The minute you start posting pictures, you reveal a ton of information about your car. You may notice when people here ask for advice and post a picture, responders often pick out amazingly obscure details from the photo. Point being: I don't think many assumptions are being made here. You are showing your car, your shop, and your workmanship in these photos. I don't think anyone here was knocking you, rather they were trying to help you make a successful project.
Andyrew
Would you mind updating your first post to include details of your car?

Looks like an interesting an huge project! I really hope you can get it done as I would love to see the fab work.
Mueller
Oh boy, that is going to be a lot of work...I love it!

I might have to subscribe to this build!

Stacks914
This is from the front

Ok guys I am posting picks of building my car. I have about three days maybe 12 hours total on this Build of actual of the car. I am in a build off.... So here are pics of the car and what I have been doing. I am really just currently deconstructing. The build will have a corvette c6 front and C5 rear suspension and a tube chassis, and c5 z06 rims that are 17/18. The powertrain I have is a 5.3 out of an 04 silverado. the trans is a boxster S unit. I also have a 70mm turbo for the engine. I have purchased but am still waiting on the adapter. Will probably be extending the rear of the car at least 5-8 inches as I would like to use the stock accesorys. or I would like to keep the power streering pump at least and the alternator. I am a bigger guy and really cannot sacrifice any room inside. Plus I would like a nice stereo in there(and a hot woman). And that is about it. I am just a one man operation building this car out of his garage. I do not own a shop. I will be doing all of the work myself or as much as possible. I realize I am in a build off but really this is cheap entertainment for me. So please lets keep it entertaining. Currently in Omaha NE and no one knows what this car is. but they do think its cute and want one...lol. I have not seen one of these on the road in years. I have 2. This red one I bought with the intentions of flipping and making some quick money. After about 6 weeks of trying to sort out the engine my patience and money I had allocated for this car was done. So it became the focus of the build only becuase it was titled in Ne and would not have go through inspection. I realize I am in way over my head here thats where i am comfortable. The welding on the car will be conducted by a local professional that works on nuclear reactors until I am comfortable I can do it but its really not that hard and I am getting better. While I am currently on 31 total hours of work time. I have about 6 months of research into the car putting together a broad stroke design and I do not have every aspect of this car figured out in my head. I deal with the details as they arise! this might seam maddning to some of you but please bare with me!

The details I have not figured out yet are! Yes I realize some of this stuff is a few hours google searching.

Wiring harness: I have spent alot of time rewiring some of the factory porsche unit! I would like to ditch and update the whole thing! Anyone know a good one I could buy that will run the lights, engine, radio, and maybe a hvac system one day. Or at least an updated fuse boxe and I will wire and soldier one together? Would like to stay in the $400 range
Boxster S Trans: I really have a bare boxster S trans I do not know what it takes to get it shifting entirely in my car, or how much it will cost?
Radiator with fans: I have not found one yet or looked too deaply into this. When I get closer to needing it which will be soon I will. I just need the radiator I am not buying a kit? I see these pop up for a vette on craigs sometimes. really like the Factory 5 gtm install of these thoughts opinions? Dollar figure?
Intercooler: I just haven't bought one and the tubing yet
ECU: the fianl tuning willl be done by a professinal shop with dyno
Fender Flares: I really like the plastic/riveted on look! Love liberty walk stuff!!
Rear axles: will need porsche to corvette hubs
methanol kit/80#injectors/bosche 044 fuel pump/tires/5 point belts/600hp rated clutch
probably will stuff at least 7 speakers into the car

The whole engine build is a few months away! though I might scrap the turbo system and build a destroked ls engine that revs as it would be more suited to the boxster trans either way 500whp should be attainable. I just love high revving engines but boost builds power cheap

My toying with a dream additions (probably not going to make it)
keyless push buttom start/power windows/locks
Vintage heat and A/C
Ring and pinion swap/lsd for trans

My budgete is about 2-300 a week on top of what I have bought!
Stacks914
Hey motherfucker I know everything there is to know!!! lol-2.gif I AM TOTALLY kidding i apologized for it as Scott did lets not bring up a dead horse and move on please!!! PLEASE. I know i know very little about this stuff and shoould shut up and listen sometimes as yes he was trying to help!

QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 2 2015, 05:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Sep 29 2015, 04:02 PM) *

...I get cranky when assumptions are made.

The minute you start posting pictures, you reveal a ton of information about your car. You may notice when people here ask for advice and post a picture, responders often pick out amazingly obscure details from the photo. Point being: I don't think many assumptions are being made here. You are showing your car, your shop, and your workmanship in these photos. I don't think anyone here was knocking you, rather they were trying to help you make a successful project.

Stacks914
Cleaning out garage today weighing some things

72 Door weight = 36 lbs
75 Door weight =58 lbs

72 Bumpers = 19 lbs
75 Bumpers = 48 lbs both front and rear weigh the same

About 100lb savings just in these two areas going with the older ones! Of course your going to lose that 5 star crash rating. These were weighed by me today back to back the Hydraulic rams for the 75 bumpers seamed to be about 20lbs total as well. So thats an easy 120lbs. idea.gif

AndyB
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 26 2015, 03:45 PM) *

L31M? Scarlet Red...that's painful.

agree.gif that was the color of my build.
rgalla9146

Do you have health insurance ?
Porschef
shades.gif popcorn[1].gif blink.gif
Stacks914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 4 2015, 05:03 AM) *

Do you have health insurance ?

of course why wouold I need it? Something wrong with the paint? confused24.gif
Stacks914
Today I am spending it chasing my buddy who has a corvette down with a framing square. And a tape measure
Stacks914
Got a power assisted steering column from an 05 equinox $50 at a junkyard. EBay has a kit that controls it. You can dial in more or less feel it's 75 shipped. Not a bad deal
Stacks914
Got a power assisted steering column from an 05 equinox $50 at a junkyard. EBay has a kit that controls it. You can dial in more or less feel it's 75 shipped. Not a bad deal
Stacks914
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-Ion-Che...818&vxp=mtr

This is the kit I purchased for those that would lke to know!
Stacks914
And if the 914 gods where not shining on me enough today! Eric@kitcarchassis.com has deamed me worthy to recieve his Ls to Boxster trans adapter!! To which I recieved and looks great!!!!!!!!
Stacks914
And if the 914 gods where not shining on me enough today! Eric@kitcarchassis.com has deamed me worthy to recieve his Ls to Boxster trans adapter!! To which I recieved and looks great!!!!!!!!
Stacks914
Well it's been a few days of this is shit and let's redo this and then let's redo it again but the front end suspension cradle is starting to take shape . I am looking about 4-5 inches wider in the front with a 275 tire
Stacks914
Only a few hours today got front a arm supports started.
Mueller
Neat PS controller....

For the suspension, how do you know how to set it up? As is in are the arms // with the ground or angled fore or aft or?
Stacks914
Thank you the bottom of the ps column fits right on top of the vette. So all I have to is mate it to the porsche sterring wheel and wire! Kinda neat very simple, very cheap solution. Though I will be taking all the accessories off the engine now save the alternator which is good. More space, but now I need inline water pump money

I burrowed my buddies c6 vette and measured it. I have read the anti squat angle is anywhere from 7-9-15 degrees. My default is 8.9 and zr1 is 8.9 degrees. Though alot of people say you can change it for this and that I will be keeping it in the stock location. I know very little about suspenson and doubt i will improve on it. But from the front it angles downward. i did not measure the angle on his car but he is coming over soon again so I will get his car on a flat surface and then measure it. Then measure it again and figure it out mathmatically so I know I am dead on(close). the whole front assembly I am welding 4-1/2 inches from the bottom of the mid cradle. The car should have about 5 inches of clearance with my tire combo. I just need liberty walk to come through with some flares...that are probably more then my entire build...lol

Stacks914
i just want something like this........ aktion035.gif
Stacks914
An idea
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.