Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: slow starter after sitting for 2 years?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bazza
Hi everyone smile.gif

I recently picked up a '72 teener w/1.7 & carbs that had sat for 2 years in a garage. I was told someone had run the engine very briefly in the last few months but when I got to it the engine turned over very slowly despite a fairly new battery and the wheels were not turning very freely enough to try and get it going so I trailered it home to do diagnostics etc. OK - so far I put in a new battery, changed plugs and wires and freed up a float in one of the carbs that was letting fuel come out the top vent. It's still on my trailer - I was hoping to get it running before pulling the wheels to clean up the brakes but it's still turning over VERY slowly despite a fresh (and charged up) battery. I checked all connections at battery and starter and they look fine. No way is it going to start with the engine not turning over faster. This car has AC and there's a belt hooked up to the compressor - do you think there's some drag there that's causing the problem? Also, I figured the next step would be to pull the starter and have it checked by the local Auto-electric gurus. BTW, that top nut is really hard to get off - I'll try my 1/2" drive and see if that works ohmy.gif In the meantime if anyone has a theory of why it;s turning over so slowly I'd love to hear it. Oh one more thing - when the plugs were out I squirted a little oil in the cylinders and turned it over and it spun a little faster but not like it should have. A last resort would be to push or pull the car to start it but I'd rather do this without force through the gearbox. Thanks for any input. I'll be back later to see if anyone replies. Going to try and get that top nut off idea.gif
Cheers,
SirAndy
make sure the ground strap on the back of the tranny is still connected and getting good contact.
make sure the ground strap on the battery is connected to the body and in good shape.

the top bolt on the starter is removed from the *inside* of the engine bay!
remove the nut (17mm) on top/back of the engine and the bolt will slide out the back with the starter ...

take a volt meter and measure how much juice you get at the starter. that'll decide where to troubleshoot.
cool.gif Andy
Joe Bob
BAZZA....looks like we got annuder tail dragger here to join me....welcome to the mid engine nutter board....

Yeah...look for ground issues...braided line from trans to body, the cables from the battery to starter...the cables could have a crack and corrsoion will spread like a cancer.
Bazza
Andy and Z,

Great advice! I'll check it out before going too far with starter removal. Especially since that top 17mm bolt is so easy to get to headbang.gif Thanks for the tips, I'll head back to the project now and see what happens. Will post results boldblue.gif

Cheers!
Rusty
I agree... sounds like you're not getting enough juice to the starter. Clean all connections, especially: the battery clamps & ground connection to the body, the wires on the starter and the grounding strap on the transmission (to trunk floor).

-Rusty smoke.gif
Bazza
GUESS WHAT??????? boldblue.gif

SHE"S ALIVE!!!!!!!! beerchug.gif clap.gif

heh heh

You guys are incredible smilie_pokal.gif ......hit the nail right on the head! The ground strap to the tranny was completely destroyed at the end that fastens to the tranny and the way it was positioned I couldn't see it wasn't connected to anything. Not having another ground strap handy and wanting to confirm this to be my prob. I used jumper cables to complete the ground and wow what a difference. After some turns she fired! It's not running for more than a few seconds at this point but at least now I can turn my attention to the fuel issues - implementing fresh gasoline so she'll run longer. But SHE'S ALIVE (I feel like Dr. Frankenstein a little) w00t.gif

I'll post again later with a pic of the strap just for kicks and tomorrow then I can move on to getting her actually off the trailer and possible on the street. Should be interesting mueba.gif

Thanks again everyone - this forum is AWESOME rocking nana.gif mueba.gif rocking nana.gif monkeydance.gif

Cheers,

Joe Bob
Cooolllll, naked pics of yer ex girlfriend are also appreciated.... biggrin.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 5 2005, 03:13 PM)
Cooolllll, naked pics of yer ex girlfriend are also appreciated.... biggrin.gif

Mike you come through with an excellent reply again.

Bazza don't you love it when it's easy like that. Don't get used to it though.
Bazza
OK - here it is.......yup - wonder where the end of the strap went......duh unsure.gif ......why didn't I check that first!!!! confused24.gif In any event, since Z didn't ask for pics of my current girlfriend w00t.gif , I'll have to close with only the photo of the decrepit ground strap icon8.gif but who knows what the next post may hold in store mueba.gif

Thanks again everyone and yes Sean - I know I got a pass this time but my time is coming I can feel it!!! monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif
Cheers,
Bazza
OK Z - here ya go mate........... drooley.gif
Joe Bob
Woof...got any more????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.