Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi beams
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
I tried pulling the left stalk towards me, but don't get any click or activation of the high beams at all, low beams are fine. Its a 71 BTW.

Any thoughts and things to check ?

Thanks

Ted
porschetub
I should say that I can't help as my efforts with my wiring are going backwards but I will give it a try.
You have checked if the h/beam fuse isn't blown or the pins aren't corroded on the fuseboard?
With the steering wheel off you will see there is a contact on the switch that connects when you pull back on the lever,in my case the contact had bend back too far so the movement of the lever didn't make connection,I bent the tab forward and it worked again,see how you go.
zambezi
Sounds like a bad high beam relay or what porschetub says. There are 2 high beam fuses. One for each headlight.
porschetub
Didn't mention the relay because I was trying to be positive,due to my current negative wiring issues going on @ the mo ,these seem to be fairly robust unlike the round standard relays which I have found 2 DOA ones...so far????,we need to remember this stuff is getting old after all.
falcor75
I had the same issue, dead relay. I think the headlight one is square in shape tho...?
LowBridge
you can "tap" the relay with the handle of a screwdriver "lightly" and if it is the relay you should be able to get it to engage for a moment.

however double check your grounding points along with the connections and fuses. If all this meters correctly and looks clean then most likely it's the relay. I just spent the better part of 3 weeks cleaning and inspecting most of my wiring harness as it was a mess. Additionally make sure the column stock is working correctly and not over tightened and binding the leaver and contact points (I also had this problem).
Chris H.
The relay might have also just gotten knocked loose. Check and make sure its in the socket nice and tight.
Dave_Darling
You can check the switch and some of the wiring by checking to see if pin "S" on the high/low relay socket gets grounded when you pull the stalk back.

You can check the relay by unplugging it, hooking +12V to "56", then momentarily grounding "S". If the relay doesn't click, it's bad.

It may be possible to open the relay up, clean it up, and re-test.

--DD
913B
Anyone have a description of the location of this high beam relay.
Thank you
malcolm2
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Sep 21 2015, 11:12 AM) *

Anyone have a description of the location of this high beam relay.
Thank you

post #2 in this old forum post. has a nice labeled photo
913B
Thank you kind sir
Chris H.
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 21 2015, 06:46 AM) *

The relay might have also just gotten knocked loose. Check and make sure its in the socket nice and tight.

LOL! FYI that diagram helped me and explained something... my high beams stopped working a month ago and the round relay on the far right was loose...which is the FOG LIGHT RELAY. I have the JWest fog light flasher thing.

In case you happen to have the same issue.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.