Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: power antenna or not
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arsprod
I just replaced mt radio and antenna. I had a power antenna from another car that fits fine and looks nice. However, I'm a little concerned about the antenna unit sitting in the open wheel well. Anyone have any experience with a power antenna on their 914?
GeorgeRud
The one in my 911 is in an open wheel well since 1984 and seems to work fine.
Cairo94507
My last two Sixes had power antennas in the wheel well and no issues at all - ever. I just bought one for my '71 and will wire it so it has an on/off switch so when I am streaming music I can leave the antenna down. Otherwise it draws power from the radio and when you turn the radio on the mast goes up.
TheCabinetmaker
3 years on mine. No problems. If your concerned, just cut a piece of plastic to go in front of it to protect it from flying wheel debris.
arsprod
Ok gents I'm convinced and will wire it up! Good idea about the switch Cairo. Thanks
Cairo94507
You are welcome sir. I like the idea about some sort of a shield to protect the antenna from flying debris.

Scotty? I was thinking something that would secure to the antenna electric motor and protect it. I do not want to drill any holes in the body. Or, I guess Scotty could weld a couple small tabs in the wheel well for a shield to secure to.
arsprod
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 20 2015, 08:42 PM) *

You are welcome sir. I like the idea about some sort of a shield to protect the antenna from flying debris.

Scotty? I was thinking something that would secure to the antenna electric motor and protect it. I do not want to drill any holes in the body. Or, I guess Scotty could weld a couple small tabs in the wheel well for a shield to secure to.

I was thinking a zip lock bag! If George has driven his 911 in Chicago with the motor assembly unprotected since 1984 I think I'll be ok.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.