Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative Ventalation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Alternative Ventilation
Has anyone perfected a simple interior ventilation system once the hvac is blanked off and deleted in an early 914?

My goal is to have a two-sided control total mechanical system to shove some fresh air into the cabin when the windows are up / one side or the other or both / not to the windshield but to the lower cabin only.

In SoCal, we have no humidity, no rain, no inclement weather, not one single bug, no latent dust (unless behind a 6…, and no particulate allergens or pollen, so I am thinking that the system will be an add-on to my tow bar hitch receiver tubes subtly located thru the front bumper and in to the front trunk bay… but…. from there, things get difficult due to this big bulbous thing called a fuel tank…..

I know from many removals and insertions of the tank that there is no room for two flexible tubes to make their way thru the tank cavity unless we agree to go electric.
So, maybe someone has another route for two individually mechanically controlled vent tubes to the front cabin.

Of course, the Germans used the cowl vent to drain rain and to power up ventilation to the cabin and windshield. I am looking for a simple alternative.. Any suggestions are appreciated.
SirAndy
While this is from an aftermarket heater unit, the air routing over the tank would work in your case.
smile.gif

IPB Image
914_teener
I don.t get why the stock fresh air intake won.t work?

It is simple but a PITA to take apart and reinstall.
914Mike
I have run oil lines under the tank through the little tunnel inside the wheel arch. Starts at the gas tank bulkhead and runs down to the footwell. Poke a few holes, add some tubes, cool your feet at least. The back side tends to be rusty anyway, very easy to perforate...
jim_hoyland
How about a roof vent ?
Kansas 914
i am thinking about a bilge blower to replace the fresh air blower up front since my car has Kerry Hunter headers and no heat. It would be nice to have real forced air through the vents.

http://www.amazon.com/Rule-140-Marine-Blow...h/dp/B000O8AZ8K
76-914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 21 2015, 06:35 PM) *

I fart with more force than that anemic OEM vent system puts out. dry.gif Another BIG + when one does a water cooled conversion and AC biggrin.gif
Chris914n6
I read and I got confuzed...

The cowl vent allows a good amount of air to pass into the cabin when restrictions are removed. As in the air box is removed.

Or... air ducts/blower in the back passing thru the longs into the cabin, or piped into the side vents.

Or take apart the flapper boxes and block off the windshield path, leaving the side vents and floor opening.
914_teener
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 22 2015, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 21 2015, 06:35 PM) *

I fart with more force than that anemic OEM vent system puts out. dry.gif Another BIG + when one does a water cooled conversion and AC biggrin.gif

flag.gif

Not sayin use the little fart fan that isthe OEM.....use the same entry and exit points and higher output fans.

I have no comment about the volocity of your farts Kent....
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 22 2015, 04:24 PM) *

i am thinking about a bilge blower to replace the fresh air blower up front since my car has Kerry Hunter headers and no heat. It would be nice to have real forced air through the vents.

oooh, I like that! Run one through the front for cool air and one through an oil cooler for hot.
barefoot
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 22 2015, 07:24 PM) *

I installed one like this bilge blower in my boat to purge the motor cavity. The stock 914 vent blower puts out more air.
914_teener
QUOTE(barefoot @ Sep 22 2015, 06:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 22 2015, 07:24 PM) *

I installed one like this bilge blower in my boat to purge the motor cavity. The stock 914 vent blower puts out more air.

There is velocity and volume......

Good point.

Krieger
There was this a few years back from a post by Trekkor.
Larmo63
Forrest's car is early, no dash vents.
screenguy914
Bilge blowers are efficient and relatively inexpensive. Racers sometimes use them to duct forced air to help cool brake components and fluid coolers.

However, depending on their placement, they may be excessively noisy when used to source cabin air. I use a 4" Spal fan to help evacuate trunk air from a front oil cooler. However, its sound isn't noticeable during normal operation unless the engine is OFF.

Sherwood

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.