Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling IDF Gurus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
I cleaned out the accelerator jets on one side so that is fine but...

1. She idles like crap and exhaust temps are way off (not equal)

2. Part throttle pops and sputters and exhaust and head temps are off.

3. Wide open she pulls like a mother and all the temps equal out.

Joe Ricard
Well it is not uncommon to have a float stuck open on one side flooding only one carb.

I also put a Holley fuel pressure regulator just before spitting off to each carb 3.5 PSI.

Won't hurt to pull idle jets and give tham all a blow.

are the carbs synched up in the rate of opening? Best is to slot one linkage arm to fine tune adjust the mechanical advantage. both eaqual on the idle stop and both reach the wide open stop at the same time.

Then I would get a good set of plug wires. THROW THOSE STUPID PHENOLIC SPARK PLUG ENDS IN THE TRASH. Get regular American snap on the end connectors. I was stricten with the screw on phenolic pieces not making good contact and ended up arcing and burning the solid core wire to screw connetion. Makes for wierd running that always seemed like a sick carb.
jwalters
Something else to consider is that the idle jets themselves may not be plugged--but instead the passage after the jet can be--

Sounds like the transition holes are plugged--those are the really, really tiny ones just above the throttle plate---the large passage transitions into many small ones--4-5 depending on carb--you have to get some really fine, yet strong wire to shove into the holes one by one and then shoot carb spray into them so it shoots out of the jet orifice--i.e.--you HAVE to dismantle the carbs--

To do it any other way that crud u got loose will just get trapped again in those little holes again--

This sounds like your whole problem now--obviously your mains are flowing--it is your idle circuit that is clogged--those transition holes are fed from the idle circuit--They give that extra boost of fuel just before the main jet comes on line-up until 1/5 throttle opening--and they continue to feed the engine until you reach 1/2-2/3 throttle opening, at which time the vacuum signature falls off and only the mains flow--

I may not be a whiz at jetting a weber out--but for this operation I am a master--done it too many times until I started running 5 micron fuel filters
---

Hope you get it figured out soon! beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
The first thing I do when a cylinder goes down at idle is pull the idle jet for that cyl. and check for a rock in the jet.
Having 4 EGT's makes it easy to tell which one is acting up.
Since I haven't been using air cleaners on this engine it has happened many times already. headbang.gif
Joe Ricard
Yea funny you should mention that Micron filter thing. I put a big ass Fuel injection filter on mine too. came from a Ford Explorer. Had it laying around in a box.
I blew the little progression holes out with my air compressor after drowning the circuit with carb cleaner. Do this off the car because fuel and cleaner and dirt goes everywhere.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.