Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reproduction Early Center Trays
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I found a source for the trays. Most are broken, cracked chip and plain ugly. Working on getting some prices.
Dave_Darling
URO is starting to make some, not sure if they're "early" or "late". (The pic looks like a late one, BTW.) They're going to be selling them through Pelican, and likely other places as well.

--DD
BillC
What's the cutoff between "early" and "late" for the trays? Also, what are the differences between "early" and "late" trays?
TheCabinetmaker
I'm not sure if it's an early late thing. Those trays came in non console/ appearance cars. They had a lid/pad that was not attached. My 73-1.7 had one.
Dave_Darling
Earlier ones (I don't know the cutoff) didn't have the divider, I believe.

--DD
Mikey914
Here's the early
914Sixer
Pull you center cushion up and see if it has a divider or not.
jsaum
Cool hopefully the thermoform them out of a thicker plastic than the original ones.
Kansas 914
popcorn[1].gif
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 22 2015, 08:15 AM) *

Here's the early

That is the later tray with the hinged top. Here is the 1st generation early '70 plastic with no divider:

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914

popcorn[1].gif

Mark, that one looks like the one in my early '72.
gms
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Sep 22 2015, 05:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 22 2015, 08:15 AM) *

Here's the early

That is the later tray with the hinged top. Here is the 1st generation early '70 plastic with no divider:

Click to view attachment

early ones (like this) used until about January 1970 build 914/4 and 914/6s
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 22 2015, 09:15 AM) *

Here's the early

That's not the early tray, that's the later one that goes with the center console. At least in 73+ cars it is. Not sure if the cars with the "center deposit" style console got a hinged compartment or not.

--DD
Mikey914
Sorry,
I had it backwards, and yes there are 2 versions of early.

Never did really like these as there's not any room for anything other than flat items.
zambezi
Mark, thats where all the cassette tapes go.
914Sixer
I got a price BUT the shipping is an incredible $18 for UPS shipping. Not sure if they will sell at what I would have to charge.
pete000
I need an early try for my early 914-6 My car was built in the first month of production.

Hope some one reproduces them !
porschetub
QUOTE(zambezi @ Sep 23 2015, 05:02 PM) *

Mark, thats where all the cassette tapes go.

whats a casette tape laugh.gif
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 22 2015, 09:41 PM) *

Never did really like these as there's not any room for anything other than flat items.

Well if new versions of the bottom are becoming available, maybe someone can make a molded plastic top piece that looks OEM when closed, but is concave underneath so some stuff can fit under it shades.gif

I've personally never tried to squeeze a 3rd person in my 914, and if I did, Porsche engineered that center cushion into the center tray lid for them to sit on, correct?!? huh.gif

I have an old cushion top and leave it in the basement. preferring to have the later version divided tray open to throw stuff into beerchug.gif
McMark
Since we're SOT, I hate the hinged version and like the plastic. I just don't store a lot of crap in my car. I find the hinged version hard to see inside without first brushing up on my yoga. laugh.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Sep 24 2015, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 22 2015, 09:41 PM) *

Well if new versions of the bottom are becoming available, maybe someone can make a molded plastic top piece that looks OEM when closed, but is concave underneath so some stuff can fit under it shades.gif

I've personally never tried to squeeze a 3rd person in my 914, and if I did, Porsche engineered that center cushion into the center tray lid for them to sit on, correct?!? huh.gif

I have an old cushion top and leave it in the basement. preferring to have the later version divided tray open to throw stuff into beerchug.gif

Actually I'm bring some in and will be playing around with this as we are starting to sew the replacement tops, so why not?
76-914
These are fantastic if you've gone cable shift as they allow enough space for the cables to transition below w/o being seen from above. I'll take one as a spare when they're ready. beerchug.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Sep 24 2015, 06:31 PM) *

My early '72 states seat positions 2+1. So yes early cars were designed for a 3rd and some even had the 3rd seatbelt. My car did not have the seatbelt.

Click to view attachment

Sorry Mark - didn't mean to hijack.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 25 2015, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Sep 24 2015, 06:31 PM) *

My early '72 states seat positions 2+1. So yes early cars were designed for a 3rd and some even had the 3rd seatbelt. My car did not have the seatbelt.

Click to view attachment

Sorry Mark - didn't mean to hijack.

My 1st car in high school I got myself and 2 girls in it no problem. Shifting was fun.
Dave_Darling
A friend of mine was a cheerleader in HS. Another girl on the squad had a 914, and they used to fit six in it. Two in the seats, one in the center, and three across the roll bar...

--DD
1970 Neun vierzehn
This tray is original to my '70/4.......
Mikey914
Damit another 2 screw caps headbang.gif
sbsix
That's what my center piece looks like. I have a build date of 6/1970.
Mikey914
Anyone have more pics of the cushion? I think there were 2 styles on this.
76-914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 25 2015, 11:58 PM) *

Mark, Here is my cushion from the '73 as well as the plastic tray. I cannot attest as originality but neither of my trays have the screw covers. Maybe they did in the beginning. And yes, I know the material is frayed. mad.gif

Click to view attachment

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 25 2015, 10:58 PM) *

As I understand it, the rigid, smooth tray insert was a Porsche item available through the dealers' parts department. The "softer", basketweave insert was an aftermarket piece sourced either through the dealer, from period catalogs (i.e. MG Mitten, Vilem B. Haan) or import parts stores (Beck/Arnley, Bap/Geon).
pete000
Here is another picture of the early center tray. I need one of these for my Six... chowtime.gif
914Sixer
NOS cushions on sale on Ebay from AA with the Ridge on the bottom.
raynekat
The color is cocoa brown.
Too bad they don't have some black ones.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.