Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: newbys New shoes don't feel right
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porscheless
Hi everyone,
So i just purchased my first Porsche (914) 1973 2.0 with extras...I love this car which i bought through the forum.

When i received it i drove a few hundred miles with the very slightly cracked looking but well treaded tires.( dot says they were made in the 90s)
I believe they were re 11s...but the tread looked different than newer re 11s.

After much deliberation and asking tire guys around the town and online i bought some bridgestone potenza pole position s-04s
Soooo,the tires at speeds up to around 70/80 feel decent but at 80 or so the car feels more vague and less safe than those old tires...The tire grips well cornering but i don't feel the road as much and steering response is definitely slower.The tires are quiet and softer feeling which is cool but i miss the quick response of the previous tire.
I can return them within 30 days.
Is this common for a new tire?
Should i be patient?
Should i get some Michelin As3s?

The car is probably going to see wet roads but probably no track...I drive fairly aggressive
Also the car has 16 inch fuchs wheels not the stock wheels.
I couldn't really find much specific 914 tire reviews so i thought i would ask here.
Thank you for taking the time to look at my post. Ki

Bruce Hinds
what size tires and wheels old vs new?
Porscheless
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Sep 21 2015, 09:32 PM) *

what size tires and wheels old vs new?

I replaced the tires with the same size that were on the car when i bought it. 205-55-16
porschetub
Sorry to say but Bridgestone aren't what they used to be,I had the Potenza's on my last Audi QT ,they weren't very good for $1400 for the set,went to a Kuhmo set after that....night and day for $700.
Have you had a good alignment done and played with tyre pressures ?,can make the world of difference.
EdwardBlume
Tires are a personal thing. If you don't like them out of the gate, you won't like them for the duration.

Oh, and
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Porscheless
Thanx for the replies...i guess i will change them for some kumhos or falkens.
Porscheless
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 22 2015, 02:20 AM) *

Sorry to say but Bridgestone aren't what they used to be,I had the Potenza's on my last Audi QT ,they weren't very good for $1400 for the set,went to a Kuhmo set after that....night and day for $700.
Have you had a good alignment done and played with tyre pressures ?,can make the world of difference.
I haven't done a full alignment since the car handled so well initially but i will soon.
I have been running 34psi front and 36 back
Andyrew
You need to get the right tire compound and TW. Your old tires were the hot tires of the day with a stiff sidewall. Your new tires are "performance" car tires. Much softer sidewall but decent grip.

You'll need to pump the pressures up a LOT to get them to feel more rigid.

Try the Bridgestone RE-11's or even better the RE-71R's. The RE-71R's are the stickiest 200TW tire right now period. Guaranteed to give you a happy feeling smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.