Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hood Badge Placement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kupcar
I've made the decision to add a hood badge. I found some old info saying that the bottom of the badge to the start of the hood should be 80mm. Is that right? I'm seeing pictures of them all over the place. Thanks.
ConeDodger
Anywhere is fine considering there never was a hood badge.

You will find some info saying lined up with the top of the headlight lines... Not sure. Just know that it isn't an original feature so any rules would be a fabrication...
Steve
QUOTE(kupcar @ Sep 21 2015, 09:36 PM) *

I've made the decision to add a hood badge. I found some old info saying that the bottom of the badge to the start of the hood should be 80mm. Is that right? I'm seeing pictures of them all over the place. Thanks.

That sounds about right. My car is a 75 and there was a badge on it when I bought it.
The bottom of the badge is 3" from the bottom of the trunk lid.
The purists frown upon the badge, but the 914-8 gift to Ferry Porsche had a badge on it, so neener, neener, neener.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...rsche&st=20
Scroll down the above link to see Ferry Porsche's 914-8 badge. Mine looks similar to that.
Tom_T
Well I sorta agree.gif with Rob at post #2 ....

There was one or two or ?? early press photo's of at least one prototype 914-6 with a crest hood badge, & the "custom made" 914-8's for Ferry Porsche & Ferd. Piech had them.

And then any dealer could add them at customer request or if they thought it helped sell them - IIRC it was Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena CA that did it to all 914s .... or one of the SoCal dealers .... & maybe others.

IMHO they look best on a 914 as close to the front edge as you can get & still clear the underside framework.

The 80 mm was for the 911/912 hood/front lid, but it didn't have the extra front length of the 914's bumper in front of it.

Some folks still use that dimension, others use a line across the tops of the headlight doors, & others split the difference & center them on the headlight doors (set an "X" between the top inside corner & opposite lower inside corner of the headlight doors), & all sorts of spots in between those.

So bottom line, look around at as many as you can find by googling or binging (??) for images of 914s with hood badges, then put it where YOU like it's look!

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris914n6
Little known fact about the 911 badge is that the badge is what you are supposed to press on to close the lid.

On a 914 it's all open space regarding the inner structure, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.
jeffdon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 21 2015, 09:52 PM) *

The bottom of the badge is 7.5 meters from the bottom of the trunk lid.

7.5 meters? I like that one--that puts it over the car, out into the driveway... smile.gif

--DD
porschetub
Put a little body sealer under the speed nuts to seal them.
My badge wasn't original but period correct off a 1974 911,has a nice patina to it also,regardless of what some say I like them.
maf914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 21 2015, 10:18 PM) *

7.5 meters? I like that one--that puts it over the car, out into the driveway... smile.gif

--DD

7.5 m = 24.6 ft (approx) laugh.gif
EdwardBlume
Its too bad they don't make a 1 ft tall badge you can see from 100 yards away. I'd mount that one... aktion035.gif
RohJay
QUOTE(kupcar @ Sep 22 2015, 10:06 AM) *

If you have not already seen this Pelican article:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._hood_crest.htm

I put mine at 100 mm up.
Using the template given in the above article.
Just see where it looks best to you.
Steve
QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 22 2015, 04:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 21 2015, 10:18 PM) *

--DD

7.5 m = 24.6 ft (approx) laugh.gif

I flunked the metric system and can't read a metric tape measure, so I changed my post to inches.
confused24.gif
76-914
E
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 22 2015, 05:34 AM) *

Its too bad they don't make a 1 ft tall badge you can see from 100 yards away. I'd mount that one... aktion035.gif

lol-2.gif
mrfourteen
I think they look good in the glove box left in the wrapper. stirthepot.gif
On the way to a swap meet where you can trade it for a cup holder bye1.gif
ConeDodger
Little known fact: Original Customs in Grand Rapids Michigan will install your hood badge in any "proper" location you designate for $500, if you supply the badge. It takes $15 minutes so he is basically raising his shop rate to $2000/hour for your job... lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 22 2015, 07:34 AM) *
I flunked the metric system and can't read a metric tape measure

I can help you with that:
1cm | 2cm | 3cm | 4cm | 5cm | 6cm | 7cm | 8cm |

3" ~= 7.62cm
shades.gif
toolguy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 22 2015, 10:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 22 2015, 07:34 AM) *
I flunked the metric system and can't read a metric tape measure

I can help you with that:
1cm | 2cm | 3cm | 4cm | 5cm | 6cm | 7cm | 8cm |

3" ~= 7.62cm
shades.gif

Easy way to remember. . .30 caliber is 7.62 mm. . another tidbit drilled into my head by the Army way back before 914's were made .
KELTY360
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 22 2015, 05:34 AM) *

aaron.gif

That is a troubling image on so many levels...not that there's anything wrong with that. shades.gif
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 22 2015, 08:34 AM) *

You could always go for the negative side script like on the LEs. You can see that from well over 100 yards. stirthepot.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 22 2015, 08:42 AM) *

Little known fact: Original Customs in Grand Rapids Michigan will install your hood badge in any "proper" location you designate for $500, if you supply the badge. It takes $15 minutes so he is basically raising his shop rate to $2000/hour for your job... lol-2.gif

No hard feelings about the move? blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 22 2015, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 22 2015, 08:42 AM) *

No hard feelings about the move? blink.gif

He's going to be back to pick up project cars. I think mine might go out there this winter for some engine work. I may have a valve guide issue. Those who were behind me on the drive around Lake Tahoe at WCR a couple years back are fairly sure I have a valve guide problem. blink.gif

Will I miss him? Yes... All us West Coasters will.
Cairo94507
I have thought about a hood crest but since they did not come from the factory (yeah, yeah, couple cars had them installed, but in reality, it was not factory installed) and God knows that is the bible for me happy11.gif I guess I can't add one.

I think they look fine if they are mounted low on the hood, say with the top of the crest at the half-way point of the headlight cover.

I know a member posted that was where you were supposed to push to close the hood. I disagree and believe it is best to close the hood with two hands placed flat on the hood along the leading edge and maybe 1 foot apart and press down gently. I think pushing on the emblem will not only possibly bend the emblem but could dent the hood too. That is how I have always closed the hoods on my P-cars. Interestingly, when I bought my C4S the dealership told me the same thing - and of course those cars come with the crest on the hood.

At this point I do not think my car will have one. The only emblems on the car will be the rear panel 914-6 and the engine lid lettering. I do have a brand new NOS european Porsche VW 914-6 emblem. Though I have had that for well over 30 years, I don't think I am going to install it. Just the 914-6 emblem.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 22 2015, 04:19 PM) *

I have thought about a hood crest but since they did not come from the factory (yeah, yeah, couple cars had them installed, but in reality, it was not factory installed) and God knows that is the bible for me happy11.gif I guess I can't add one.

I think they look fine if they are mounted low on the hood, say with the top of the crest at the half-way point of the headlight cover.

I know a member posted that was where you were supposed to push to close the hood. I disagree and believe it is best to close the hood with two hands placed flat on the hood along the leading edge and maybe 1 foot apart and press down gently. I think pushing on the emblem will not only possibly bend the emblem but could dent the hood too. That is how I have always closed the hoods on my P-cars. Interestingly, when I bought my C4S the dealership told me the same thing - and of course those cars come with the crest on the hood.

At this point I do not think my car will have one. The only emblems on the car will be the rear panel 914-6 and the engine lid lettering. I do have a brand new NOS european 914-6 VW Porsche emblem. Though I have that for well over 30 years, I don't think I am going to install it. Just the 914-6 emblem.

Sell it to me! evilgrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 22 2015, 01:18 AM) *

--DD

lol-2.gif av-943.gif Where it belongs.. first.gif on the 911 parked behind you. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Sorry, That emblem is not for sale. I may yet change my mind - at my age it happens quite a bit biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 22 2015, 04:23 PM) *

Sorry, That emblem is not for sale. I may yet change my mind - at my age it happens quite a bit biggrin.gif

I thought that at our age, we were pretty cemented and didn't change our minds! blink.gif

Well, if you do, let me know. I have one on order from George but given that he hasn't shipped it, I have to assume he doesn't have one and will ship it 12 years from now when he does... mad.gif
Johny Blackstain
I've always loved the 916 & some came w/ a 356 hood handle badge mounted on the back, so I did that instead of a hood badge. The old badge, NLA, was black & orange stripes unlike the new ones which are black & red stripes. Black & orange looks good on a Creamsicle smile.gif
Scott S
I messed with location for flipping ever. I finally decided on the bottom edge of the badge (the point) at the same height as the bottom of the headlight cover.

Even though there is no right way (because they were never there), this looked the most right to me....
beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

without the green line:
Click to view attachment
kupcar
I know that technically the 914 never came with a badge. I'm thinking it must have been some sort of agreement they had with Volkswagen. From a purists point of view it's not correct. But then my car is a GT clone, so it's really not going to factory original. I just think it deserves some respect, and a badge. Thought about keeping the 1.7 on the back for a laugh. But that would look funny with a six and gt flares! I guess every car is customized to the owner, unless it's a concours car.
Cairo94507
Scott S - That badge placement looks spot-on. first.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 22 2015, 02:51 PM) *
Scott S - That badge placement looks spot-on. first.gif

agree.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 22 2015, 02:18 AM) *

--DD

Where it belongs IMO.
kupcar
That does look good! I like the Martini stripes as well.
C-Ya MK
QUOTE(Scott S @ Sep 22 2015, 02:11 PM) *

I messed with location for flipping ever. I finally decided on the bottom edge of the badge (the point) at the same height as the bottom of the headlight cover.

Even though there is no right way (because they were never there), this looked the most right to me....
beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

without the green line:
Click to view attachment

I really like that placement and your car. I've been on the fence about this and continue to decide not to add a badge. However, I see that and know it would look great on my car.
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.