Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martinef1963
I just wanted to thank you "pros" for the help and the classic posts section of this forum.

I changed my altenator today and took her for a spin down South Beach - the weather was fantastic.

I couldn't have done it w/ out the advice, know how, and blow by blow of this forum.

indebted! rocking nana.gif aktion035.gif
Allan
What alternator did you go with? Did you just get it through your FLAPS?
martinef1963
Don't understand the question, but I did find out something new about my 914 - I'm missing the thermostat! I was going about the PP how to RR the alternator and when I was putting it back together I noticed a "pulley" wheel all by it self.

I was racking my "newbie" 914 memory banks and did some research - I found out that there is suppose to be a wire, and a thermostat attached to the darn thing.

I don't know what happened to the old one, but am curious - I drove this car from California and I did/do have idling problems, don't know about any over heating problems

QUESTION - can you run a 914 w/ out a thermostat? I don't know what the FLAPs look like or how they work - can you give me some advise?

thanks, confused24.gif
martinef1963
I went with the Bosch AL75X and I snipped the washers like the classic thread recommended - it worked, and I'm smiling, but not too much cause of the thermostat issue. sad.gif
SGB
its no biggie-
FLAPS is just Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.
Lotsa 914s (mine included) have no thermostat. Sorta extreme way to ensure enough air flows through the cooling system. Will extend the time to get to full op temp, and some say that is BAD, but I dunno. Mine has been OK for 20 years without one...
martinef1963
thanks for reply - I hope I don't need it - just another thing that might go wrong with it.

regards,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.