Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Light Stays on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pcdarks
Just started happening. My son's 72 914 the oil light came on on his way home kept driving a few miles with no problem Seems to run fine and the oil is fresh and topped off. Anyone experience this?
rgalla9146
The switch is stuck (never seen it happen !) OR the wire touching ground.
porschetub
QUOTE(pcdarks @ Sep 23 2015, 02:00 PM) *

Just started happening. My son's 72 914 the oil light came on on his way home kept driving a few miles with no problem Seems to run fine and the oil is fresh and topped off. Anyone experience this?

Presuming the engine has oil pressure?,the wire to the switch may have grounded to earth (the body) or the switch its self has failed,cheap enough to buy just get the right one.
Also check to see the wire hasn't come off and touched the engine.
Tell your son never to drive with the oil light on ,just not worth the risk,good luck.

Tom_T
Altho senders & grounds & other electrical gremlins could be the cause - it also could also be a sign of oil pump failure coming up - or a weak one, obstruction in the oil lines, filter, oil cooler, etc.

Remember that these are not just aircooled - they're really most correctly OIL & air cooled engines!

So check it all out.

Also of note, these & aircooled VW engines (& waterboxers) will show a bit of an oil light or glimmer on decel after running hard & fast, such as coasting off a freeway off ramp, while the OP drops. Ask your son of specifics if that was the case.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
pcdarks
The light is solid and on all of the time. Not just flickering at idle or going off at RPMs. Wire grounded sounds like. Never seen a sending unit go bad.
toolguy
pull the wire off the sender. . did the light go out ?? If so, then ground is coming from the sender. . Easiest thing is to change sender, harder is to use a mechanical gage temporarily to ensure you have correct pressure.
EdwardBlume
You also have higher oil pressure at start up so if it's on all the time it's probably switch / electrical.
Mark Henry
Pull the wire off the sender, if the light is still on you have a short.

Set up a test light, ground it on the switch, if it turns off when you start the car the switch is good. If it stays on shut down right away and then try a new switch.
I've seen them leak, have wiring issues, but never outright fail.
Olympic 914
I had one fail on one of the Harleys.

It was just after I had replaced cam, lifters, lifter blocks and breather, from one of the lifters going bad and ruining all those parts and sprinkling little needle rollers all around in the cam chest. I also had opened up the oil pump to make sure no debris had gotten in there.

Started it up and the light went out after the pressure came up.... then a few moments later it came on again. checked the return line and oil was circulating. took the oil pump apart again and all was good there. so I took a shot and bought a new sender. turned out that was the problem.

I recall the sender did roll off the workbench and hit the floor, but didn't think too much about it at the time.

First one I had go bad..
pcdarks
I replaced the sending unit and the problem is gone. It had gone bad while driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.