Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a measurement, Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thorshammer
I need to know what the exact measurement (vernier caliper) from the starter mounting surface to the ring gear. I have a different trans and want to make sure my depth is correct.

Thanks,

Erik
scruz914
Erik,

I am not sure what points you are asking for. Can you draw a rough diagram? I have everything apart and sitting on the garage floor waiting to put back together. Once I know what you need I can easily measure.

BTW, '73 2.0 stock.

-Jeff
Thorshammer
Not quite sure how to import a drawing, so I will try to describe what measurement I am looking for.

When the engine and transmission are bolted together with the flywheel mounted to the engine.

Remove the starter motor and measure with a vernier caliper to the starter ring gear from the starter mounting surface. This is the surface that is exposed when the starter motor is removed. It faces aft when installed in the car. The ring gear is the gear on the outside edge of the flywheel the starter motor gear turns to turn the engine over. I have a different trans and need to be certain the depth of my ring gear is close to standard so I am able to use a standard starter motor.

Thanks for your help,

Erik
scruz914
The transmission is not mated to the engine right now. I took two measurements and calculated what you are looking for. I am pretty sure I am within 1/32 +/-.

The distance between the starter mounting surface to the flywheel ring gear is 1 3/8"(actually 1 47/128" but I figured rounding to the nearest 1/128 would be ok). My calculations were:
Distance from trans starter mounting surface to trans/engine mating surface = 3 1/32"
Distance from trans/engine mating surface to outside edge of flywheel = 1 21/32"

3 1/32" - 1 21/32" = 1 12/32"

FYI other measurements:

The distance from the mounting face on the starter to the outside edge of the starter gear face is 1 5/16". There is a 2/16 'cap' on the end of the starter gear which must extend 1/16 over the ring gear. The starter gear sits 1/16 away from the ring gear when retracted. I can draw a diagram if you want to see how all of this lines up.

-Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.