Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine ideas challenge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
JeffBowlsby
Some of us are generally fans of originality but do appreciate the projects from our brothers that display great skill and immense talent in their execution - they can be artwork. Actually the more extreme the better, if done to a high standard of care. To the extent that parts are available, the car should be maintained factory original but the radical solution can still have strong appeal to me too.

In the case of a pristine original 914/4 but where the original engine (with its SN) is no longer available, I can see a time when certain 914s will be 100% factory stock in every way except the engine. So what 'monster' engine can be used to go crazy if your goal was to not cut anything, no holes, no screws, no welding etc...nothing that would modify the chassis in any respect...what options are there?

A Porsche /6 would be out because the oil tank needs to cut the chassis. Same for anything water cooled unless everything can fit in the engine bay. Custom brackets are acceptable if they mount to the factory mounting points without modifying the chassis in any way. This is all I can think of - what level of HP is possible with each of these and what others are possible?

1. Stock 914/4 engine just with a wrong SN - Stock HP numbers.
2. Type 4 gone big - 2056 with D-Jet or 2270 with aftermarket FI
3. Type 4 - Small bore with a SC or turbo. What level of boost is reliable and HP?
4. Type 4 - How about both a SC and turbo...anyone tried that?
ice cold
How about electric Jeff. If the goal was to not cut the body at all would it be possible?
VWTortuga336
I'm in the process of building a 2366 out of my stock 2.0L engine:

Stock 71mm crank
Stock rods (maybe H-Beam???)
Stock flywheel (maybe lighten???)
Forged JE 103mm pistons/cylinders
Ported 2.0L 3 bolt heads with 36/42 valves
SCAT C35 cam - .495" lift, 285 duration
Dual Weber 44 IDFs
Stainless steel 2.0 heat exchangers
Bursch exhaust
External oil cooler

Fingers crossed!
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(ice cold @ Sep 23 2015, 05:33 PM) *

How about electric Jeff. If the goal was to not cut the body at all would it be possible?

agree.gif
An electric motor mount to OEM engine bar and the 901 transaxle is already available, and if done correctly, nothing would have to be cut to complete the install of all batteries, controllers, and connections. EV torque > TIV smile.gif

To stay within PCA rules, I'd do a 2.3 TIV with aftermarket EFI. beerchug.gif

I think "some" Porsche 6s have been installed with minimal or no cutting by using a bolt-on mount and remote oil cooler where hoses don't require to much or any sawzall-smiley.gif

How can you get this thread moved to the Garage?? biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
The electric drive is an interesting approach, especially if you've seen Otmar's 914 EV. WOW.

But, the high cost, low range and enormous weight are currently insurmountable IMHO for the majority of 914 owners.

Not to overlook...how sexy does an electric motor and battery banks look to us gearheads anyway? NOT.

Been reading McMarks 1.7L Turbo thread...and that Marty may be willing to do a GB for us. That has potential to my eyes.

Can an admin to move this thread the garage please?
EdwardBlume
Do you have a spare chassis? Don't be holding back....
JeffBowlsby
Not me...

But Dads car needs a turbo right? happy11.gif
matthepcat
My vote is large displacement turbo with fuel injection. One was for sale a month ago on here for $15k...which is the cost to build the motor.
rhodyguy
I think $15k would have almost been enough to build that big turbo in rob's blue car. Almost....
MrLeeS
Stock crank
Je forged 103 Pistons
AA H beam rods
2.0 heads 44 x 37 ported
Custom grind cam
T3/04 turbo 10lbs boost
8.8:1 compression
No intercooler
CB fuel injection
Still has heat exchangers
30k miles on this iteration (I'm going to stroke it over the winter)
280 whp
rick 918-S
Old school belt driven supercharger with new tech F.I
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 26 2015, 09:09 PM) *

Is it possible to do a supercharger with dual carbs?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Sep 26 2015, 09:26 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 26 2015, 09:09 PM) *

Is it possible to do a supercharger with dual carbs?

Mueller
I think Jeff's account has been hacked!

Posted in the wrong section and asking crazy questions like I'd ask!

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 30 2015, 07:47 PM) *

I think Jeff's account has been hacked!

Posted in the wrong section and asking crazy questions like I'd ask!

lol-2.gif Phunny Mike...post is for real, I just posted it in the wrong forum and no one has moved it yet.
914work
QUOTE(MrLeeS @ Sep 26 2015, 09:11 AM) *

Stock crank
Je forged 103 Pistons
AA H beam rods
2.0 heads 44 x 37 ported
Custom grind cam
T3/04 turbo 10lbs boost
8.8:1 compression
No intercooler
CB fuel injection
Still has heat exchangers
30k miles on this iteration (I'm going to stroke it over the winter)
280 whp

would love to see more info / detail on this build idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.