Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting talk with Gary Emory, Parts Obsolete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I spent a little time with Gary Emory of Parts Obsolete and Emory Motorsports. They are currently maintaining and leasing 12 356 vintage racers 4 904's for vintage racing and a Cup car for Grand Am. Anyway, he's got a whole barn full of parts and a shipping container full of 914 parts. I never can get out of there without buying something just for a spare.

He mentioned something interesting concerning 901 gear sets. He claims that early 924 trannys were very stange in that they used 901 gears and the ratios were different than 914 and 911 used. He said that this could be a source for some closer ratios for some of you track guys. I have no way to check this out and I'm not messing with my boxes anyway but I thought I would pass it on. Makes for good winter racing talk.

SUPPORT BRAD

Dave
Jeroen
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Mar 6 2005, 02:47 AM)
He mentioned something interesting concerning 901 gear sets. He claims that early 924 trannys were very stange in that they used 901 gears and the ratios were different than 914 and 911 used. He said that this could be a source for some closer ratios for some of you track guys

That's cool!
924 stuff is cheap and easy to find/get
KaptKaos
Isn't he getting out of the biz?

Shipping container of 914 parts? I smell a group buy lol2.gif .
Joe Bob
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Mar 5 2005, 06:15 PM)
Isn't he getting out of the biz?

Shipping container of 914 parts? I smell a group buy lol2.gif .

He's getting out of the retail biz...still gonna go racing.
KaptKaos
BTW: I love the Outlaws he's built and supports. Just awesome stuff.
Bleyseng
yep, has a couple of containers of 914 parts, cramed with parts. Hard to find anything in those containers...

Gary knows his shit thou so worth checking it out.

Geoff
redshift
Oh man, he's goddish.

That one super crazy 356... whoa..

M
ablose58
cool, sweet smilie_pokal.gif
scotty b
Now THAT's good news. smilie_pokal.gif I currently have on the block ONE super terrific 1980 Porsche 924 transmission, pulled from a lovely car driven by a little old lady to the grocery store and church twice a week. This car developed a minor head problem and was parted out. I do however still have highly sought after for it's gears, 5 speed snail shell transmission. Thats right folks a 5 speed snail shell. Thats a rare bird. You can buy it now for the meager sum of $300.00. Thats right ladies and gentlemen an uber rare PORSCHE transmission for only $500.00. Bid high and bid often cause this little gem won't last long screwy.gif

Seriously anyone want it?
redshift
drooley.gif

Would you take $800? If not, I'll go higher, let me know!

idea.gif

I want that thing... I'd pay any amount of cash for it... I hope he gives me a great deal...
scotty b
Well Miles, I had decided I wouldn't take a penny over $1000.00 but for you I'll take $750.00. AW Hell, I still feel kinda bad about the whole clown thing so I may even be willing to go $900.00. I'll be here all day tommorrow and will even HELP you loa it into the front trunk.
KaptKaos
QUOTE (scotty b @ Mar 5 2005, 07:59 PM)
Well Miles, I had decided I wouldn't take a penny over $1000.00 but for you I'll take $750.00. AW Hell, I still feel kinda bad about the whole clown thing so I may even be willing to go $900.00. I'll be here all day tommorrow and will even HELP you loa it into the front trunk.

Just when I was thinking we were gonna talk Outlaws, you and Miles go down the rabbit hole. Ugh!!! mad.gif
scotty b
Hey, I'm just trying to make a sale here Joe. No harm, we can still talk shop. That just may make my offer more desireable laugh.gif Besides thats what Miles and I do. We go down the hole.

unsure.gif Hmmm let me rethink that
Joe Bob
Real bad visual dude.... dry.gif
Type 4
Can I buy the Conrods? They work great in 66mm stroke engines when you use 105mm pistons fo a 2286cc
scotty b
QUOTE (Type 4 @ Mar 5 2005, 08:42 PM)
Can I buy the Conrods? They work great in 66mm stroke engines when you use 105mm pistons fo a 2286cc

All I have left is the tranny and some body parts. I wish I had known that, I tossed the engine, and the internals were good. I just stopped working on them. Customers were a pain sad.gif Every one wanted a cheap Porsche,so they bought this bastard Porsche,then wanted to polish their turd, then wanted it to go faster....hey wait a minute that sounds like US biggrin.gif
riverman
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Mar 5 2005, 08:47 PM)
He said that this could be a source for some closer ratios for some of you track guys.

How about taller ratios for V8 guys?
rick 918-S
QUOTE (riverman @ Mar 6 2005, 07:02 PM)
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Mar 5 2005, 08:47 PM)
He said that this could be a source for some closer ratios for some of you track guys.

How about taller ratios for V8 guys?

That's what I was thinking. What is 5th Gear? confused24.gif Anyone know? boldblue.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 6 2005, 11:16 PM)
That's what I was thinking. What is 5th Gear? confused24.gif Anyone know? boldblue.gif

the gear after 4th laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
redshift
http://www.924.org/Downloads/PorscheTrans1.xls

M
riverman
Thanks Redshift. Should be helpful after I dig into it.
ChrisFoley
Thanks Miles,
From that chart it appears that third is an "L" gear. I need one of those for my next race tranny!
Jeroen
Ok, so I see 4 different 924 boxes listed and 2 for the 931 (= 924 turbo)
Which gearboxes can we pull the gears from?
DNHunt
Gary mentioned the snail shell tranny and the 924 sebring model but, he wasn't specific with part numbers or model numbers. He did say he had several and "He should dig into those". Sorry I can't be more specific.

Dave
aircooledboy
QUOTE (scotty b @ Mar 5 2005, 10:48 PM)
Every one wanted a cheap Porsche,so they bought this bastard Porsche,then wanted to polish their turd, then wanted it to go faster....hey wait a minute that sounds like US biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif w00t.gif chairfall.gif
DNHunt
I dug this back up because I took one of these apart last week. It turns out it's 915 gears. 5th gear is 0.60 which is significantly lower than the 0.71 in the 914 transmission. It would be really good for a V8 with a 915 tranny. It sure is beefy after looking at 901's.

Dave
JazonJJordan
popcorn[1].gif Hey- Thanks! I was looking for this...
rhodyguy
did you go to PO again or was it the one you got from me?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.