Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wife wants a tdi jetta wagon.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
Wife drives a 2004 suburban. she wants a "summer" car to take back and forth to the lake with 4 kids and a lab. A jetta wagon tdi would get her there and back for about 2 1/2 gals. vs 8 gals in the suburban. Back to school and winter she will drive the suburban/family sports truckster. In the winter I could drive the jetta instead of the 4.0 wrangler.
So whats the buzz on the vw turbo diesel? do they last forever? or are they shi**y?
Qarl
My best friend has one.... phenominal gas mileage... no problems to speak of...

Not the zippiest of cars... but economical... and GERMAN!!! (I think)... It may be made in Mexico though...

Anyways... good way to save $ on gas... especially since gas is supposed to go up $0.25 a gallon in the next week or two.

spare time toys
I have a 2002 Jetta TDI 5 spd but not the wagon. I love it. 55 miles per gallon highway and 45 city. The new ones have a newer style engine than mine. A couple of guys at work have the new design and it seems to be just as good. We took a trip up to Des Moines from Dallas in Feb and went up on a tank and back on a tank. I usually fill up every 700 miles if it needs it or not. I tried the bio diesel couldnt tell much gain but the exhaust smelled like pop corn. Look for a better fuel savings over the suburban we have one of those tanks also.
scruz914
You are going to suffer from severe space withdrawls going from a Suburban to a Jetta wagon. I can't image a trip of any length in a Jetta with 4 kids and a dog. You might want to look at the Passat wagon. I don't know if it comes with the tdi. I think the Passat now comes with a V8 which will still have better gas mileage than the Suburban and much more power than the tdi. The 6 would do better with mileage but when loaded down the power would suck. 4Motion I think is a must. Better handling and versatility for the Winter. Who knows the extra room in the Passat might be enough to get rid of the Suburban all together.

BTW, I speak from experience owning a Suburban and 2.8 A4. Also drive to a cabin in Tahoe all year round in both. I only have two teenage daughters and no dog. Room in the back seat of the A4 is too tight for a long drive. I would think the Jetta would be worse.

-Jeff
ChrisReale
http://www.tdiclub.com
Maybe they are our nemises?
spare time toys
QUOTE (ChrisReale @ Mar 5 2005, 10:02 PM)
http://www.tdiclub.com
Maybe they are our nemises?

NOT CLOSE TO 914club at ALL. I am a member to it . I was ripped off by a member and when I asked about why he has never sent what I paid for I was the bad guy.
ChrisReale
Uh...isn't nemesis like an enemy/adversary? Like Kryptonite to Superman?
spare time toys
QUOTE (ChrisReale @ Mar 6 2005, 12:03 AM)
Uh...isn't nemesis like an enemy/adversary? Like Kryptonite to Superman?

So I aint to good with those big fancy words. Theys not in my Dick and Jane books... laugh.gif I see TDI club and just get mad headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.