Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Cleaner Assembly Swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom73
I have a '71 1.7 with the oil bath air assembly. Have picked up a '73 paper element assembly to replace mine. In looking at it I see that the '71 has one more hose connection then the '73. On both they have a fitting on the side for what appears to be the crankcase breather. On the '73 that is the only one. But the '71 has one at the intake area. It connects to a tube that runs to the driverside and then out of the engine compartment. Not sure what is it for. Jus that it is not on the '73. Also the '71 has a flapper valve at the air intake. Not on the '73.

So, how do I adapt the '73 to be used on the '71.

tom...
Joe Bob
Hook up the hoses....
Joe Bob
BTW...nothing wrong with the oil bath cleaner....a little messy sometimes. Was a good cheap design that served for many years.
Tom73
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 5 2005, 06:59 PM)
Hook up the hoses....

No fittings for both of them......

What is that second one, that runs out of the engine compartment, for?

And what about that flapper valve that is on the '71 but not the '73?
Tom73
Things really move fast here so...

ttt
Joe Bob
Depends on what they attach to...they may just be evaporating controls and can go to a remote puke box like on carbs....
Tom73
Thanks Mike, I thought that second one may be part of the fuel evap system. But does it just dump into the air cleaner assembly housing (that is what it appears on the old one)? If so, then guess just a barb fitting attached anywhere on the air assembly would work, right?

Any thoughts on the flapper assembly on the '71 cleaner assembly and not on the '73.

tom...
Joe Bob
As far as I remember...the flapper was only to keep crud out when the engine was not running...it was open when the intake sucked it open...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.