1974 2L fuel injection
Cylinder 2 and 4 not firing below 2800 rpm
Also above 4000 rpm the car bucks terribly
My mechanic says that cylinder 2 and 4 are not firing below 3000 rpm
He check trigger points they are fine
He wants to change to carbs

Any help in solution and should I allow him to move to carbs
rhodyguy
No carbs...yet. Budget $800-1000 for the conversion. Member Perry Kiehl Clone is located in TN. You might try contacting him.
jbchristie
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 25 2015, 03:18 PM) *

No carbs...yet. Budget $800-1000 for the conversion. Member Perry Kiehl Clone is located in TN. You might try contacting him.

Thank you. I will try sending a message hope he lives in Nashville
JeffBowlsby
Strongly suspect your trigger points. Replace them with a new set. I would replace your TPS too, it sounds like it is worn.

ANY wrench that quickly jumps to suggesting carbs on an otherwise good FI system should be avoided as not competent with the FI system. Find another wrench.
r_towle
Trigger points and tps, agreed.

Additionally I would suggest you clean and degrease the ignition points advance plates and get a new set of points in there.
TheCabinetmaker
Trigger points fire injectors in pairs. 1/4 or 2/3 . if 2/4 are not firing together, two of your injectors are wired wrong too. I agree with trigger points, and tps. Two sperate problems. Turn the trigger point plug on the forward of the distributor around. If the non firing cylinders change, you have a trigger point problem, which may just be a loose wire in the plug. They can come loose.
r_towle
Ah, but are we certain the the mechanic is saying 2/4 correctly?
Hope you understand what I mean.
TheCabinetmaker
BTW, find a new mechanic or learn to work on it you self. Lots of knowledgeable members in your state.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 25 2015, 04:32 PM) *

Ah, but are we certain the the mechanic is saying 2/4 correctly?
Hope you understand what I mean.

of course, rich. I understand. They are numbered on the engine tin remember?
Dave_Darling
2 and 4 would be the rear two cylinders.

Try a compression test. If those two are lower than the others, you may have a flat cam lobe or two. sad.gif I hope that isn't it.

--DD
injunmort

1&3 are rear cylinders on my '71 1.7 according to the stampings on the tins

Mblizzard
I am in Knoxville but I know a good 914 World guy in Nashville. The great carb FI debate will rage forever. But only make that call when the car is running well. Not to fix a undiagnosed problem.
TheCabinetmaker
You are correct, injunmort
Dave_Darling
Oops, got them backwards. So 2 & 4 are the front cylinders--they still share cam lobes.

--DD
screenguy914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 25 2015, 02:34 PM) *

BTW, find a new mechanic or learn to work on it you self. Lots of knowledgeable members in your state.

I concur.

I also suspect injector signals are misplaced (crossed up), but that's long-distance diagnosis (IOW, almost a WAG).

Sherwood
Perry Kiehl Clone
It's hard to diagnose a problem via internet, but you might get lucky.

I'm going to suggest trigger points as the problem. How did your mechanic check the problem?
914Mels
Are you sure the ignition system is good? There are resistors in the plug wire ends that go bad and you can drop cylinders. Before spending a bunch on parts, narrow down the trouble area. Pull your injectors and see if they spray or not. it would suck to pull the F.I. and find out later the trouble was really ignition related.
jbchristie
Update to all - After many miles and time, Auto Atlanta was able to cure my problem - Their is aground wire in the distributor that was not solder at the factory and over time it starting losing contact. Thank all of you for your guidance and insight
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.