SOLD

I realized if I don't get rid of something I will never have time (or space) to fix my other cars so the 4 cylinder 914 has to go. This a copy/past of my Craigslist ad so sorry if it sounds pedantic to a knowledgeable reader at any point. Even if you are not interested in the car, shoot me a PM if you think I am way out of line on the price. I value the opinion of the community here.

1971 Porsche 914 1.7
$10,500 OBO

Mileage unknown (Speedometer replaced by previous owner)
Clear Texas title. Currently registered and inspected. Note, TX “Year of Manufacture” license plates do not come with car.

I would rate it at the upper end of the “driver” category. The car is reliable and it runs, shifts and handles well. Everything works except the trip odometer. It looks good on casual inspection – I get compliments almost every time I drive it – but it is not a restored car by any stretch. There is nothing that needs to be done in order to drive and enjoy but there definitely areas that could be improved.

The Good
-Recent paint with good gloss.
-Five lug conversion with 911 front suspension, re-drilled rear hubs and upgraded rear springs (feels like around 200 lbs/in to me).
-Nice fully polished 16x6 Fuchs wheels with painted center caps.
-Koni adjustable shocks and strut inserts.
-Adjustable front sway bar (looks like a Weltmeister) with GPR Bar collars added to locate the bar laterally (eliminates the Weltmeister clunk).
-New charcoal Perlon carpet.
-Very nice seats.
-Decent dash (couple of cracks only visible when viewed from above).
-Nice period Dino steering wheel with solid aluminum hub (no tacky rubber bellows).
-Triple gauge with oil pressure, oil temp and fuel.
-Unmolested 1.7 liter motor with original fuel injection.
-Bursch exhaust. Muffler replaced with stainless MagnaFlow, stripped and repainted with proper high temp paint. Looks good and has awesome throaty sound but not obnoxiously loud. Bung for O2 sensor.
-All weather-strip is either new or in good condition.
-“Hell hole” areas (wells at outer ends of firewall), trunks and floor rust free.
-Good battery tray.
-Optima battery.
-Everything works except the trip odometer.

The Bad
-Paint job is so-so quality – looks great from 20 feet but up close shows some print through of sanding scratches, etc.
-Bumpers have good chrome with no rust or pitting but have several parking lot dings.
-The car was involved in a collision on the right rear corner at some point. Seam where a partial rear quarter panel was replaced is visible in the fender well.
-Surface rust (not holes or structural issues) in the pedal cluster area. Treated with Ospho but the pedal cluster should be pulled and the area prepped and painted at some point.
-Tires have good tread but date codes indicate they are old.
-At least one oil leak. When I got the engine, I did a complete re-seal (oil cooler, push rod tubes, etc.) but I must have missed something. It doesn’t leak enough to make a puddle but will leave a couple drops overnight.
-The car previously had a six cylinder engine in so it has the holes for the oil tank in the rear inner fender. It also has a removable hatch panel in the firewall for access to the alternator and fan belt. I’m not a fan of this practice, but it was done well so I did not weld it up.

Recent Work
Rebuilt front calipers (including gold zinc plating)
New front targa seal (around A pillars and windshield)
All shift linkage bushings replaced and linkage properly adjusted.
Clutch tube properly repaired
New clutch cable
New throttle cable
New Bosch remanufactured starter
Front and rear glass R&R, installed with correct butyl tape and trim clips.
Surface rust (no perforations or weakening of the panel) in rear trunk and passenger “hell hole” stripped, treated with Ospho, painted with POR15 and topcoated.

A lot more hi-res pictures here (Google+): more pics

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment