Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my first engine drop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JerryP
Everything is ready I think. I just want to get the most rear height and keep it safe. Where do you guys put the jack stands to get enough height and keep them out of the way?
EdwardBlume
I use wood that goes underneath the tires. Jack stands can work on the donuts underneath, but make sure their sturdy.
scotty b
QUOTE (Rob Ways @ Mar 5 2005, 07:57 PM)
I use wood that goes underneath the tires. Jack stands can work on the donuts underneath, but make sure their sturdy.

MMMmmmmmm donuts

I usually put them on the trailing arm at the suspension mount
scotty914
also as you go up or down make sure you dont go too far with one side or it can slip off the donuts. just go up 2 inches then go to the other side and do 2 inches
JerryP
I guess I could put the wheels back on and use my ramps. I just thought it would be easier without the wheels to see and get access in case I forgot something . It looks like I would definitely get more height on ramps though.
JerryP
Thanks guys. I'm just not trusting those jack stands when they are raised up on the top notches. I don't want to go out like that.....all crushed up and embarrassed.
scotty914
where is berwin ( sp ) pa. unless you have a engine jack or motorcycle jack you can not do it with ramps
JerryP
Berwyn is just outside Philly. Why no ramps.... not high enough or is it a matter of lowering the engine?
Air_Cooled_Nut
The tech section on this site has a how-to w/pictures and he used ramps.
sj914
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Mar 5 2005, 08:21 PM)
where is berwin ( sp ) pa. unless you have a engine jack or motorcycle jack you can not do it with ramps

Why not. I did it with just a floor jack and the car on ramps my first time around.
scotty914
okay it could be done that way, with a single jack on the motor but its is easier with one person and 2 jacks, that way the car and motor are stable the whole time.

but if you need help you do have a few owners near you, i am about 90 mins away, but i will drive for good food ... hint
JerryP
I remembered a fairly recent thread about this but didn't find it when i searched. By tech section, do you mean classic threads or is there another tech section I'm not seeing?

Thanks for the offer Scott. This sucker is coming out tomorrow one way or another though. Sorry but I can only offer any food that can be purchased and picked up at my local pizza, hoagie, chinese or fast food joints. I've got a slightly chilly garage but it keeps the beer cold. My wife does all the cooking around here except for on the weekends...and during the week. chowtime.gif
riverman
Good Pelican Parts article here. I used this method and it worked great.
machina
I got some bigass jackstands. They are rated at 6000 lbs each but mainly they go real high. So those I put under the rear control arm points. I can pretty much sit upright under the car.

The front I jack all at once using a 2x4 and aluminum plate that spans the front suspension pickups.

I lift the rear of the car all the way up using a big jack on the motor mount bar, right where the shift rod opening is.
URY914
I made these blocks....
machina
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 6 2005, 08:41 AM)
I made these blocks....

Nice crafstmanship Paul, looks like Fred Flintstone's luggage biggrin.gif

Actually the deal with jacking the front with a 2x4 came from one of your posts a while back.
URY914
I found it is important to keep the car level when on the j-stands.
Much easier to lower the engine when the car is level. The mounts slide off the bolts and don't bind in the holes.

Once the engine is resting on the jack and out of the car, than jack the ass of the car up and lower the front stands so you have more room in the rear to get it out.
I would always take the wheels off if not using ramps, of course. Gives you more room to move around and access.

Also go slow. You're not at LeMans trying to get back into the race.driving.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Mar 5 2005, 11:28 PM)
but if you need help you do have a few owners near you, i am about 90 mins away, but i will drive for good food ... hint

i've PM'd my contact information to Jerry; i'm about an hour away...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.