Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightweight 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I am thinking of building a lightweight 914. I am in the thinking stage at this point, not in the I got a roller - now what stage.

To reduce weight, I have thought of the obvious stuff like:
Remove interior trim
fiberglass bumpers
plastic rocker sill covers
early doors
fiberglass/CF hood etc.. (not sure I want to go there)
Atkins Diet beer3.gif
GT Deck lid (in process for my current car)

So I was thinking about the headlights and the motor assemblies and wondering what I could do with those. Anyone have ideas there? While it would be cool if I could make the headlights more like the 911/356 family, I doubt that will work and be lighter.

Thanks for your advice.

URY914
Delete the stock headlights, motors, doors etc.

Mount a small new style headlight in the bumper and save 15 pounds.

Get a lighter roof.
machina
I have seen some headlights with a manual actuator, rigged with a cable. That would get rid of the motors, etc.

I just pulled the entire headlight / motor assembly and fixed the headlight door in place. Kinda wish I had lights though because the other night I needed to do a test run before leaving for a race and the sun already went down headbang.gif

My car is at 1850 with full steel bodywork, bumpers, and an 8 pt cage. I'll bet you could get a street car below 1700 lb.
MattR
the usual, take out all glass, cut off front windscreen, weld in doors and gut them, cut out trunk, etc. oh yeah, and use aluminum shroud screws biggrin.gif
Qarl
Remove the tar on the floorpans.

Firewall pads on both sides of the firewall.

Get a lighter weight battery... Hawker Odyssey 680 (13.5 lbs vs. 26 lbs).

Lexan rear window.

One sear or two?

KaptKaos
Great ideas - thanks.

My goal is to have a street car, maybe a little auto-x, so I am not looking cut out usable parts of the car.

I am thinking outlaw style too. So that's the road I want to go down.

Anyone else?
MattR
Wheels can get heavy. Its always good to take weight off the driveline. Maybe some fuchs? Or steelies?
KaptKaos
QUOTE (MattR @ Mar 6 2005, 11:14 AM)
Wheels can get heavy. Its always good to take weight off the driveline. Maybe some fuchs? Or steelies?

Yup, got me some fuchs already - current car has 4 and I have 3 more - so I'll need one more for the set.

nebreitling
i think most of the obvious stuff has been said.

kill your unsprung weight
kill the weight towards the top of the car
kill the weight on the ends of your car.
remove the interior (stereo's and speakers are heavy!)
fiberglass the hell out of the rest.

1800# ought to be pretty easy.

DO make sure it all stays legal -- ie. keep you headlights, windshield wipers, turn signals, etc. you need a windshield, or a good legal opinion on CVC regulations for 'historic' vehicles.

and please, don't forget about your saftey...
Eric_Shea
Woodbury's Disease. Fatal. No Cure.
xsboost90
i sold a 924 to a guy who is making it a racer. He said he made little latches, you can manually flip the lights up and latch them open. No motors or linkages.
URY914
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 6 2005, 04:04 PM)
Woodbury's Disease. Fatal. No Cure.

It is a very sad slow death. And very painful.
Best of luck. See you on the other side. happy11.gif

Woodbury wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.