Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Rightpedals 74
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rightpedal
Hi all

Steve here in Maryland. I just got notified that I am in for the 914 challenge. I will post pics as soon I see how the moderators of the challenge want to proceed.

Ok maybe one teaser....
Click to view attachment

And maybe another.....
Click to view attachment

This aint gonna be pretty!

Steve
PanelBilly
Is that the parts car?
Andyrew
Wow, that is severe...

You really going to be able to finish that in a year?

Watching!
mepstein
Once you tear into that body, It's going to get ugly.
LowBridge
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 27 2015, 12:24 PM) *

Once you tear into that body, It's going to get ugly.

agree.gif good luck
Chris H.
Yeah does this one have sentimental value? That's a lot of bondo there. Probably the whole sail panel is full of it.

Click to view attachment

Do the doors open and close freely?
Mikey914
Well, this one will be some work, the good news is the metal is available. This will serve as an excellent opportunity to keep this one alive, and who knows maybe get some free parts. All of us will be the winners if the cars get back on the road!

In the Portland area I have a client of mine that does a media blasting with a water medium that is excellent for stripping metal, there are soda blasting companies that can help strip it down too. Interested to see how bad it really is.

I'm sure there will be some good stories that come from this.
914forme
The water media blasting thing is cool, and seems complete odd to the concept, but I would love to find one in the Dayton, Ohio Area.

Bust of luck with the build, wish I had a parts car, I would send the fenders your way as I think you will need a large chunk of them, for both sides.

This is really saving one smilie_pokal.gif

popcorn[1].gif
rightpedal
I'm not scared....but yea its ugly. The doors... sure they open... with a jack and a hammer.

I have fixed this. so metal work is no problem for me.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
FourBlades
I fixed one that bad, it can be done. piratenanner.gif

Look at the third car in my signature.

If you fixed that truck you can fix that 914.

John
OU8AVW
Yeah, Steve has some tallent with metal. He has some sweet old trucks. He's my neighbor so I'm stoked to help.
Chris H.
Alright then, go for it! Just making sure you know what you got there. All the metal is available one way or another. We love a good rustoration beerchug.gif . Nothing better than bringing one back from the grave.
rightpedal
So the full story...

I bought a 73 (red car) and 74 (blue car) with a ton of parts for $1000.00. I was going to part them out and be done with them..... but they grew on me. The blue car has been in a garage for the last twenty years. The owner shredded the crank and sold it to the guy who I bought it from. the blue car had its drivetrain pulled and disassembled. The red car has no title and is really rusty. The motor will fire and sort of run on a spray bottle with fuel.

My plan is to make a driver out of the blue car. The BIG monkey wrench is i want to do it for zero cost. That's my my challenge to me. I have already sold off some parts.

-$1000.00 Original purchase

+$200.00 sold 2 sets of seats

+$400.00 sold targa top, center counsel, muffler, and sun visors

So right now I'm $400 in the hole.

I have quite a bit of parts to get rid of. Thats great except I just dont see the money going very far. The plan is to reuse, freshen up, recycle, and rebuild. My en goal is just a driver. Not a full bore resto or a show car. I have to keep it in mind that this is a car that was a day away from the great sawzaw in the sky.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
rightpedal
Some more pics of the blue car

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=519
508]
rightpedal
Some pics of the red car.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=519
513]Click to view attachment
Annapolis914
I have seen both vehicles and lucky to have secured Steve's services for parts and more. He is an amazing guy with a wrench, and I have no doubt he can make it happen. Best thing is he will be an asset to all on 914World with his experience.
Glad to suport his mission of zero costs by taking more parts off his hands.
Best of luck Steve!
rightpedal
Any body go to the extremes of dissembling the fresh air boxes. I tried one with ok results but it took a while.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rightpedal
Some of the engine tin got blasted. I acid coated the larger pieces and decided I didn't like the process. I left the other parts bare. They developed a little flash rust but nothing bad. When i pick a day I will reblast everything. Epoxy prime and paint it all at once.

Click to view attachment
stevegm
QUOTE(rightpedal @ Oct 31 2015, 06:57 AM) *

Some of the engine tin got blasted. I acid coated the larger pieces and decided I didn't like the process. I left the other parts bare. They developed a little flash rust but nothing bad. When i pick a day I will reblast everything. Epoxy prime and paint it all at once.

Click to view attachment

Sandblast? I have a set of tin that I just got and need to strip it before painting. I was considering taking it to a sandblaster or have it beed blasted?
rightpedal
BIG DIRECTION CHANGE..............

Click to view attachment

I bought a 75 from ghuff. We worked out a deal and he was very kind to me. Spent the weekend fitting a ten hour drive (each way) around work.

Here is his build thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=97015&hl=

He started with a pretty nice car that had some glaring issues. I am going to scrap the 74 and use the 75 tub it is soooo much better.

The build stays the same just using a different tub.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rightpedal
I guess technically I'm out of the build off. I am not going to build the car I entered. The spirit, direction and work load doesn't change.

So what say the masses? More importantly what do the judges think.

Steve
rightpedal
So i have been clearing house to make room and concentrate on one thing at a time.

my 1966 chevy went to another home.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next on the chopping block

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
QUOTE(rightpedal @ Nov 9 2015, 11:36 AM) *

I guess technically I'm out of the build off. I am not going to build the car I entered. The spirit, direction and work load doesn't change.

So what say the masses? More importantly what do the judges think.

Steve

Sounds like you still are in the build off to me.. Your still building your 914, you are just starting with a different chassis (Good move).

stevegm
If an owner cuts out all the rusty sheet metal on their 914, is it the same 914? How much must you cut out for it to be a different car? Idk.

Major directional changes is par for the course in the 914 restoration game. We aren't going to start splitting hairs about how much sheet metal you can replace. Build on.

(It's going to take more effort than that to get that awesome jacket Rick is giving to the first Challenger to drop out.) biggrin.gif
rightpedal
That's one jacket I don't want. biggrin.gif

Thanks guys
rightpedal
QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 31 2015, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(rightpedal @ Oct 31 2015, 06:57 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Sandblast? I have a set of tin that I just got and need to strip it before painting. I was considering taking it to a sandblaster or have it beed blasted?

Sorry just saw this. Bead blast. I have a patriot series blast cabinet from TP tools. It does a great job but the 60gal coleman 135psi lags a bit. I use 50% glass bead and 50% Harbor freight blast media (what ever that is)Its black... wacko.gif I also have a old cheapy bench top that i load with walnut shells or soda.....and a HF pressure style sand blaster that really taxes the coleman.

what was the question... oh yea.... have them bead blasted it wont warp them.
rightpedal
Up date. I have the 75 tucked away in the garage. The 74 is now stowed out side till I need parts and the 73 is getting disassembled.

Between leaf collection and work i was only able to put 6/7 hr of work in on the 914s.

Why do I need the jack receiver boxes? My thinking is I don't. Its not something I would ever use and originality is really low on the list. About 8 steps below function.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rightpedal
The wiring harness I now out of the 75. I hacked it at the tunnel to make it easy to remove. The plan is to use a universal 9+3 from Rebel wire.

http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire%20Kits

I have used painless and americian auto wire but rebel was the best all around value and quality.

There will be some mixing and matching between after market and original.

I like the the distribution box from waytec.

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46095/Bussm...-Relay-Module-/

The goal is to clean up the engine compartment, lose some of the spaghetti mess, eliminate unnecessary circuits (seatbelt system) and some weight.

Click to view attachment
rightpedal
Disassembled the parts car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rightpedal
Click to view attachment

Every once and a while my anger issues bubble to the surface. Who the F@$& uses striped old flat head screws to attach the header pad. Some one tell me Porsche didn't use flat heads and it was some asshat former owner.

rightpedal
Interior is out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
76-914
IIRC, they're phillips and shitty phillips at that. Maybe they were slotted but I still remember shitty so there you are. Correct angle of the screwdriver is critical or they will punish you. The very first thing that I ever did on a 914.
rightpedal
Dad standing with my very own sad little "Porsche Ranch"

Click to view attachment

rightpedal
[quo='76-914' date='Dec 28 2015, 08:26 PM' post='2282594']
IIRC, they're phillips and shitty phillips at that. Maybe they were slotted but I still remember shitty so there you are. Correct angle of the screwdriver is critical or they will punish you. The very first thing that I ever did on a 914.
[/quote]

Yea there was no way to see inside and determine what was going on. I really just wanted the laches. I probably should have taken my time but the Mr Hyde came out and found a pry bar.
rightpedal
Got the 1/4 started. Not bad at all. A little rust at the vent tube. Such a shame the crack heads with a ark welder decided to fill door handles. (we need a crack head with a ark welder smile)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Annapolis914
looking good might drop by today as I will be out for a "spin".
oldie914
The steering wheel and horn button in the blue car look like early 911/912 parts. You should check it out because they could be worth selling.
rightpedal
I think the horn button is an original porsche part (read not a repoduction). It is on the top of the list of items to be sold.
rick 918-S
Hey, the jacket is cool and all but it is does symbolize the wall of shame... Keep on welding bro! welder.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(rightpedal @ Jan 26 2016, 04:09 AM) *

I think the horn button is an original porsche part (read not a repoduction). It is on the top of the list of items to be sold.

I'd be interested in that horn button. :-) My very first car had one, and I like the style.
rightpedal
A looooooog over due update.

I bought a radiator fan combo
A Subaru 3.0, 5mt trans, computer, starter, harness, and mounts(Crazy Rays pickurpart)
clutch slave (luk from rockauto)
honda clutch master (luk rockuto)
clutch kit from ebay
chunk of 1/4 aluminum

Started cleaning up the floor and adding the tunnel for the cooling tubes.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I used an old shelving unit for the sheet metal. My thinking is a 1 1/2 deep tray sits just under the factory consul hump. Since I'm not using the factory shifter, wiring harness or fuel lines I might as well take up space with two 1 1/2 tubes. I don't like to use soft lines if i can help it. The plan is to run hard lines under the car with soft connections front and rear.

the Subie 3.0 is from a 2002 outback that was completely caved in on the driver side. No Idea of the millage but everything in the engine compartment pointed to a running engine that had been well maintained.
The glitch was I went back two days later to pull the harness and computer. The car was already crushed. A couple weeks later another 3.0 showed up at a different crazy rays. I love pick ur parts.
Click to view attachment

The 5mt trans was pulled from a 2002 Impreza that had a pretty hard front impact. This is more of a gamble. The drive pulleys were mangled and it cracked the alt/ac mount. the trans appears to have escaped the the bulk of the impact.

Click to view attachment
rightpedal
I did a quick clean up to the 3.0

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Made a block off plate from some scrap aluminum. way easier than i thought it would be.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rightpedal
Simple....pattern, drill, jig saw, hole saw, file..... done

Cut down the factory bolts. Thinking back it was a bit of a mistake. i need two of the bolts to hold the bracket for the cable shifter.
Click to view attachment
jimkelly
plate is looking great. jig saw, huh smile.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(rightpedal @ Jun 12 2016, 07:10 PM) *

Simple....pattern, drill, jig saw, hole saw, file..... done

Cut down the factory bolts. Thinking back it was a bit of a mistake. i need two of the bolts to hold the bracket for the cable shifter.
Click to view attachment

I grabbed a bunch of longer M10/12 bolts for the Audi engine at the local hardware store.. Just saying smile.gif

Your plate looks excellent!
76-914
Wow! You stole that drive train. piratenanner.gif Your going to love that 3.0. Smooth as a sewing machine and nice torque curve, 25mpg! Two things; did you get the ECU for that motor (IIRC, 2001-02 are the same; 2003 is different) and did you clean that oil cooler? I couldn't see it in the pics after you cleaned the motor. beerchug.gif
Way cool...I love the tunnel modification.
Andyrew
I also love the center tunnel mod!

Be sure you use SS tubes. I contemplated welding in stainless steel tubes in my setup. May still do that.

Ifin you do do that I would suggest that you add another layer of steel between the cabin and the tubes and put some insulation in there or at least some kind of heat barrier. If the tubes are held off the steel 1/2" then the radiant heat should be much better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.